Why become a member? ×

Not a P bass if it has a J neck?

3 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s quite a tease Owen 😁 can I see the rest 

Filth. Body and neck 73, pickups by bloke who used to wind them for Chris Rea, hardware off here and Spitfire scratchplate. The scratchplate was slightly too reliced so I cleaned it. The white ply needs taming a bit. It has only been on the to do list for 8 years.

16207669089665169096898723496441.jpg

16207669481422959245989653190175.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Beedster said:

Mmm, Jazz PUP, Jazz neck.... :) 

What you were trying to type was "utterly useless Jazz pickup". That close to the bridge and a single coil. What were they thinking? Now I am thinking "what is the absolute beefiest pickup I could disguise as a Jazz single coil to actually make it useful?".

• Like 1

My fav P bass is a recently acquired Squier Silver Series P bass with the std 40mm nut (same neck for both the J and P basses in the range).  It's truly a delightful Precision and caused me to sell both an MIJ and a US P bass.

One of my favourite P basses is my MIJ Jazz Bass Special. Mine is a rare one with a 42mm nut.

P/J pickups and a contoured P body, its really a Jazz in name only.

Edited by BreadBin
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, owen said:

What you were trying to type was "utterly useless Jazz pickup". That close to the bridge and a single coil. What were they thinking? Now I am thinking "what is the absolute beefiest pickup I could disguise as a Jazz single coil to actually make it useful?".

Ha ha, no I was thinking ‘That’s a Jazz Bass really’ :)

Re PUP I feel your pain, a Nordstrand ‘51 SC (forget the model name), essentially a PB single coil in a Jazz case might be better although they come in pairs only I believe. When I had the same problem I used a P-Retro to give some h**t to the back PUP when needed. 

But it’s a Precision, all the PUPs it needs are located closer to the neck than the PUP in question :) 

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

But it’s a Precision, all the PUPs it needs are located closer to the neck than the PUP in question :) 

You are correct, but that unneccesary hole was there when I bought it so I had to fill it with something! I am now going to have to ask Catwhisker Pickups about what he could wind to go in there. Sorry OP, I am aware that we are WAY off topic here!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ead said:

I have two of those Nordys in my Alpha that is pretending to be a J bass.

599596863_2020100601.thumb.jpg.c10ec5d27e29a153fbf0ec013017d210.jpg

Wowza, lovely; something tells me that bass sounds very little like a Jazz Bass :) 

Not sure they're the PUPs I'm thinking of as those don't look like they'd sit under a JPUP cover? 

• Thanks 1

On 06/05/2021 at 18:29, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

This is not an attempt at further advertising my sale, but I put my Limelight on FB Marketplace this evening and it received these comments regarding the fact that it's a P bass with a J neck.

Person #1 - "That's surely the wrong way around. Jazz body with a precision neck imho  It's the neck that gives the thunder on a precision...."

Person #2 - "I don't think a slightly wider nut width and string spacing "gives it thunder."

Person #3 - "no it doesn't but a proper fat P bass neck has a lot more timber than a slim jazz neck. That extra timber does make a lot of difference. Far more than high mass bridges etc."

Person #2 - "Well, let's face it, the totally different pickup configuration makes a bigger difference still."

Person #3 - "well ok sure, but pick up a P bass & play without plugging it into anything, still sounds like a P bass, do the same with a jazz, still sounds like a jazz. I do it all the time. I have 2 of each."

It struck me as a bit of an odd thing to say. What say you Basschat?

Guitar players.

4 hours ago, Beedster said:

Wowza, lovely; something tells me that bass sounds very little like a Jazz Bass :) 

Not sure they're the PUPs I'm thinking of as those don't look like they'd sit under a JPUP cover? 

It does sound a tiny bit Jazzy but is a really flexible beastie.

Apologies, should have read your post more carefully :(.  I think I just saw the 51 reference and drifted off into thinking about the Alpher.