Why become a member? ×

Credible, yet cheesy, music.

EBS_freak

2 hours ago, BassTractor said:

Recently mentioned in another thread, but stuff like "Livin' it Up" by Bert Kaempfert.
Easy Listening in style, incredibly cheesy, and still just wow.

Haha... Bert Kaempfert with Ladi Geisler and the 'Knack Bass' at it's finest.!

I do believe we (me and your dear self), nearly had an entire thread to ourselves on the subject...:D

Knack Bass - Bert Kaempfert Orchestra - General Discussion - Basschat

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lowdown said:

I do believe we (me and your dear self), nearly had an entire thread to ourselves on the subject...:D

Ha! Didn't even remember that, and referred to a really recent thread, but I'm struck by the level of general wisdom expressed in the thread you linked to. I wish I was as smart as myself.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Ha! Didn't even remember that, and referred to a really recent thread, but I'm struck by the level of general wisdom expressed in the thread you linked to. I wish I was as smart as myself.

Are you as smart as your Blue haired aunty?

:lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ead said:

I'll offer up Sheila B Devotion with a great little ditty Starship Trooper.

Huh? Do you mean Sheila's "Spacer" by any chance ("he's a spacer, a star chaser" etc),
or "I Lost My Heart to a Starship Trooper" by Sarah Brightman and Hot Gossip?
Or does Sheila have a "Starship Trooper" as well?

This got my interest as reading your post I thought of "Starship Trooper" by Yes. Its "Würm" part might fall in the novelty category.

Edited by BassTractor

Not totally sure what the title is getting at but I would say just about 50% of all 70's chart hits. From Tina Charles to ABBA, to Gilbert O'Sullivan to Pilot.........and musically I absolutely love em all.

All of them are tightly written with massive melodies and very tasty bass patterns......If u wanna become a very good all rounder you gotta be able to play the 70's chart hits.

Just now, TheGreek said:

Interesting...I bought one of his albums in the 80s - Strong Persuader -  on recommendation of a guitarist friend. He claimed that RC was bringing Blues back in the 80s and thus a credible musician.

I have that album. There’s no doubt “cheesy Bob” is a credible musician!

17 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Wasn't that Sarah Brightman? 

17 hours ago, BassTractor said:

Huh? Do you mean Sheila's "Spacer" by any chance ("he's a spacer, a star chaser" etc),
or "I Lost My Heart to a Starship Trooper" by Sarah Brightman and Hot Gossip?
Or does Sheila have a "Starship Trooper" as well?

This got my interest as reading your post I thought of "Starship Trooper" by Yes. Its "Würm" part might fall in the novelty category.

You're right folks it was Spacer I was referring to, my apologies but I was a couple of beers in by that point.  It came to mind as Sophie Ellis-Bextor has recently done a cover(ish) of it.

Starship Trooper (the Yes version) is immaculate and should not be mentioned in this thread at all :)

Tony Bennet?

He is awesome but strays into outright fromage on occasion 

Bob Weir.

Paul McCartney 

Carlos Santana

The list is (contentious) and endless. Finally to upset the stoner rock fans Monster Magnet. Loved “Dopes to infinity”. Live I thought they were pure fondue.

Edited by tegs07

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

Tony Bennet?

He is awesome but strays into outright fromage on occasion 

Bob Weir.

Paul McCartney 

Carlos Santana

The list is (contentious) and endless. Finally to upset the stoner rock fans Monster Magnet. Loved “Dopes to infinity”. Live I thought they were pure fondue.

I saw Monster Magnet on the "Dopes to Infinity" Tour. One of the best pieces of band/crowd interaction I've seen.  Dave Wyndorf was merrily stage diving,  and they "fed" a cheap old strat copy to the crowd while it was still running (via heavily gaffa'd attached wireless) into the PA. Soundman mixed the racket into the song while Wyndorf egged everyone on. They were just pure (Stoner) Rock n Roll, like a slower,  dozier Motörhead.

It was a small club (Subterranea), and I think that suited them better than a larger setting.

2 hours ago, ead said:

Starship Trooper (the Yes version) is immaculate and should not be mentioned in this thread at all :)

😀 True dat, but I hide behind the parapet of "novelty" as there is a certain novelty aspect to Würm - at least as seen from the hill of traditional rock.
I mean, we have just learned that Maurice Ravel came first! 😉

• Haha 1