Why become a member? ×

Fixed tempo and repetitive rhythm. Can you do better ?

Hellzero

A great recent recording without the usual noisy audience at a tiny bit slower tempo as suggested by the composer himself at the time.

The exact same rhythmic pattern repeated 169 times (wisely and suddenly "forgotten" for the end climax), one melody with two themes and only one very late key change (more a modulation) : the result is just perfect.

The original title was Obsession of a Rhythm. It says all and everything.

And to answer @Stub Mandrel question : who and when invented the idea of a consistently repetitive (underlying) rhythm ? It's Maurice RAVEL in 1928.

In fact, in music history, it's a first.

Can you do better ?

• Like 3

Repetitive and simple beat yes, but not fixed, and lacking a melody, which is a modern invention.

The repetitive beat is meant to help you to enter into a transe, which is still working today.

I fell asleep (literally hypnotised) during an MRIn long session without headphones (the technician couldn't find them and it was a late night emergency), only because of the repetitive (very noisy) rhythmic pattern.

By the way, did you notice that the bass is only playing two notes : a root and a fifth ?

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

who and when invented the idea of a consistently repetitive (underlying) rhythm ? It's Maurice RAVEL in 1928.

I think not. The device of "consistently repetitive (underlying) rhythm" is as old as music itself. It certainly didn't originate in early 20th century Europe. Try Africa.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Five bar pattern (semibreve-minim, semibreve-minim, semibreve-minim, semibreve-minim, minim-minim-minim) repeated nine times. Late 17th century, and still regularly performed today.

Thanks for taking words out of context, as usual.

If I count, it's missing 293 bars, but it's not the point, even if I could play your game.

It's a first in music history, because of the whole and not only one aspect.

Maybe I should have written this instead to be clearer :

In fact, in music history, it's the first time a symphonic movement is composed this way and based on a fixed repetitive rhythmic pattern at a slow tempo, with voluntary simplified orchestration, leading to a unique piece of hypnotic ballet.

44 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

Is it bluegrass?

Yee-haa.  Gold Prospector's dance. 

10 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

I think not. The device of "consistently repetitive (underlying) rhythm" is as old as music itself. It certainly didn't originate in early 20th century Europe. Try Africa.

9 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Quo

</thread>

You know what ?

I persist in saying that most of the members can't read.

Yes, I'm fed up.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

You know what ?

Yes, I'm fed up.

Have you ever considered that the Internet.... is not for you?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

"There is a definite limit to the length of time a composer can go on writing in one dance rhythm. This limit is obviously reached by Ravel towards the end of La Valse, and towards the beginning of Bolero.

- Constance Lambert, Music Ho! (1934).

4 hours ago, Hellzero said:

You know what ?

Yes, I'm fed up.

Hellzero, apologies for my misplaced quip.  I had not intended to derail your thread, nor to offend you.  I hope that you can accept my apology.   

• Thanks 1

<fixed tempo>

Likewise Hellzero, apologies for my misplaced quip.  I had not intended to derail your thread, nor to offend you.  I hope that you can accept my apology. Likewise Hellzero, apologies for my misplaced quip.  I had not intended to derail your thread, nor to offend you.  I hope that you can accept my apology.   Likewise Hellzero, apologies for my misplaced quip.  I had not intended to derail your thread, nor to offend you.  I hope that you can accept my apology.   Likewise Hellzero, apologies for my misplaced quip.  I had not intended to derail your thread, nor to offend you.  I hope that you can accept my apology.   Likewise Hellzero, apologies for my misplaced quip.  I had not intended to derail your thread, nor to offend you.  I hope that you can accept my apology.   Likewise Hellzero, apologies for my misplaced quip.  I had not intended to derail your thread, nor to offend you.  I hope that you can accept my apology.   Likewise Hellzero, apologies for my misplaced quip.  I had not intended to derail your thread, nor to offend you.  I hope that you can accept my apology.   Likewise Hellzero, apologies for my misplaced quip.  I had not intended to derail your thread, nor to offend you.  I hope that you can accept my apology.   Likewise Hellzero, apologies for my misplaced quip.  I had not intended to derail your thread, nor to offend you.  I hope that you can accept my apology.   Likewise Hellzero, apologies for my misplaced quip.  I had not intended to derail your thread, nor to offend you.  I hope that you can accept my apology.   Likewise Hellzero, apologies for my misplaced quip.  I had not intended to derail your thread, nor to offend you.  I hope that you can accept my apology.   Likewise Hellzero, apologies for my misplaced quip.  I had not intended to derail your thread, nor to offend you.  I hope that you can accept my apology.   Likewise Hellzero, apologies for my misplaced quip.  I had not intended to derail your thread, nor to offend you.  I hope that you can accept my apology.   Likewise Hellzero, apologies for my misplaced quip.  I had not intended to derail your thread, nor to offend you.  I hope that you can accept my apology.   Likewise Hellzero, apologies for my misplaced quip.  I had not intended to derail your thread, nor to offend you.  I hope that you can accept my apology.   Likewise Hellzero, apologies for my misplaced quip.  I had not intended to derail your thread, nor to offend you.  I hope that you can accept my apology.   Likewise Hellzero, apologies for my misplaced quip.  I had not intended to derail your thread, nor to offend you.  I hope that you can accept my apology.   </fixed tempo>

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

<fixed tempo>

II: Likewise Hellzero, apologies for my misplaced quip.  I had not intended to derail your thread, nor to offend you.  I hope that you can accept my apology. :II ad lib.

</fixed tempo>

I love notation.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Can you do better ?

The third movement of Holst's Beni Mora Suite (1910) wherein the flute repeats an eight note melody 163 times over a repeated underlying theme around which sections of the orchestra depart and arrive?

I'm not sure if this qualifies but its an interesting piece, derived, it is alleged from Holst's observation while in Algeria of an Arab street flautist playing the same phrase for two hours or so. 

I suppose Holst's genius was that he absorbed the flautist's performance rather than throwing a boot at him, which is what most of us would have done.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

The third movement of Holst's Beni Mora Suite (1910) wherein the flute repeats an eight note melody 163 times over a repeated underlying theme around which sections of the orchestra depart and arrive?

I'm not sure if this qualifies but its an interesting piece, derived, it is alleged from Holst's observation while in Algeria of an Arab street flautist playing the same phrase for two hours or so. 

I suppose Holst's genius was that he absorbed the flautist's performance rather than throwing a boot at him, which is what most of us would have done.

1912. 😉 

Interesting, but not as "fixed" and "basic" as the Boléro and more Purcell in the approach.

That said, Gustav HOLST was a genius indeed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

OK, I was joking when I said quo earlier.

I love the tone of hickory, it's so much warmer than carbon fibre, yet still retains that distinct, percussive edge. Bonus points too for not having a nylon tip cutting the harmonic overtones and inhibiting the natural resonance of the stick. 

😉

• Haha 4