Why become a member? ×

New Ebay Fees/Payments

Lozz196

On 05/06/2021 at 12:26, Wolverinebass said:

I sold a bunch of studio gear on ebay after the change. It took 10 days to get the money. Now, we're talking like £500 here and I was a bit short on cash, so them holding on to it like that dragon in The Hobbit was really annoying. The guy paid the day the auction ended. I then get an email to say it'll get processed in a few days. It took 6 for it be "processed" and another 4 to be stuck in cyber limbo before it turned up in my bank account.

Ebay can now go do one as this is one step too far for me.

I assume that you gave Ebay permission to have your bank details, so i believe you now have to ask them to cancel the direct debit on your account ?  I had a look at the personal stuff  and it seems you simply cannot now delete your bank details without adding another bank account first

On 06/05/2021 at 11:50, Waddo Soqable said:

I too only flog stuff when it's "£1 max selling fees". 

I've not been offered that since the change over, I guess they're not too keen now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pst62 said:

I've not been offered that since the change over, I guess they're not too keen now. 

Yep ..the nearest to it they seem to do is a nebulous "percentage off selling fees"  no doubt works out somewhat more than the old £1 job.. !  Luckily I don't flog much anyway, but I'd be less likely to now, so bit of a "fail" really.

Not that ebay could care less given the massive mainstream market they've got now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fleabag said:

I assume that you gave Ebay permission to have your bank details, so i believe you now have to ask them to cancel the direct debit on your account ?  I had a look at the personal stuff  and it seems you simply cannot now delete your bank details without adding another bank account first

Surely if you wanted to get rid of ebay totally, you could inform your bank you no longer consent to give ebay permission to engage with your account ??

8 hours ago, fleabag said:

I wasn't objecting to that as I can cancel the direct debit. What I objected to was waiting 10 days for my money. That was highly unamusing. Before you could get paid and have it in your bank account from PayPal in 10 minutes. Now, 10 days as eBay want the interest from millions of transactions for almost 2 weeks.

I  suspect  many folk will be just as pizzed off with the payment delays as they are with giving their bank details.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at  GreedBay's  dept for  member accounts ,  just to see how many give the finger and jump ship.  I hope it's millions

Just a heads up to you all regarding the Managed Payments agreement that Ebay are pushing everyone into. I have just spent 1 1/2 hours today on their chat "help line" being passed onto various teams, eventually getting through to the Managed Payments people. My aim was to remove my banking details from their system which there was no online option to do.....so I contacted them. Some things I have learned are:

1. Ebay are pushing their Managed Payments system out to ALL account owners.
  2. At present you don't need to accept it if you are only buying off Ebay. If you want to sell you must accept it.
  3. Once you have accepted the Managed Payments system you will have to enter your bank details.
  4. You then cannot delete your bank details only replace them with another account.
  5. The only way to get out of the Managed Payments system and delete your bank details is to delete your account completely
  6. You can then create another new account for buying only. Drawback with this is that you lose all your feedback as it revers reverts to 0%

I did point out to them that they are backing users into a corner but as the people I spoke with dont create policy, it fell on deaf ears. :facepalm:😡

Hope this helps some of you.

• Like 1

Good to know the details behind this. I have had the usual emails from ebay regarding the change which I have ignored as I have done all my decluttering (i.e. selling of random junk) for this year.

I'm only a occasional ebay seller anyway and I won't bother now if they are requiring direct bank access.

1 minute ago, toneknob said:

What happens if I link to a bank account that's got zero balance and I subsequently close the account?

Ooh, I like your thinking on this one.......however from what I understand you'll be able to sell but not collect any monies as Ebay pay directly into your bank account. Also when you try and list an item they will try taking fee's from that non-existant / empty bank account. Doh! 😡

I knew they were moving to this model but was surprised to receive an additional email last week that stated my account was now 'suspended'  until I signed up for their new model. No thanks.

Reverb, Gumtree, DoneDeal, Adverts.ie will do for me. Or FB Marketplace, locally.

The payments go from you, not direct to seller anymore, but direct to ebay, then ebay send them on to the seller. I had an issue this week. Ebay confirmed that they are now the intermediary and my card company said the payment was to 'Ebay' not the seller.

One thing to bear in mind if you don't use eBay's managed payments, and chose to continue to use PayPal as a buyer - you will lose eBay's buyer protection. PayPal still has a form of buyer protection, but it is far inferior to eBay's.

We are getting payments through now via eBay's managed payments and they are coming through a day or two after the sale (certainly not 2 weeks later like some have described). Prefer the older system but life moves on

• Like 1

On 14/06/2021 at 18:02, toneknob said:

What happens if I link to a bank account that's got zero balance and I subsequently close the account?

You will incur/accrue debts (if you are listing/selling/buying), which will be pursued like any other debt... google 'debt collection in the uk' for a flavour of what you might experience!

Edited by sammybee

On 21/06/2021 at 13:14, fleabag said:

I've deleted  Ebay's direct debit and my bank details via online banking.  Since i've decided to no longer sell on there, they no longer need access to my bank.

I'm a buyer only from now on

Same here.

On 21/06/2021 at 13:14, fleabag said:

I've deleted  Ebay's direct debit and my bank details via online banking.  Since i've decided to no longer sell on there, they no longer need access to my bank.

I'm a buyer only from now on

36 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Same here.

Me too, but what's the alternative?  I don't believe Reverb is much better and sadly the BC community is a limited market.

• 3 weeks later...