Why become a member? ×

New Ebay Fees/Payments

Lozz196

Buyers are not forced to buy stuff on Ebay, so there is none of this  " buyers are having to pay extra "

Buyers can simply not buy something if it's too expensive.  Period.

But i have to agree that the giant Ebay  corporate money making machine is a testament to capitalism at it's absolute finest.

I'd like to see sellers Foxtrot Oscar in their millions over Ebay's sheer unadulterated greed, and then we'll see them back track double quick

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 3

Had a look in my account, the payment from evilbay seems to have gone in, minus the couple of quid fees, it doesn't say pending or anything so assume it's finalised and ok...gawd knows what happens if there's some dispute or whatever, i assume they just grab it back from you, as you've doubtless agreed to let them in the new "agreement"  ...I certainly can't feel overly comfortable with the whole thing and as i said before I'll be far less likely to flog stuff on there in future. Be good if they saw a big downturn in people selling in the new regime and "reel their neck in" a bit, tho somehow I doubt it...

Edited by Waddo Soqable

I hate selling on eBay. They take far too much cash. There are lots of time wasters and a fair bit of fraudulent activity.
Sadly I will continue to use them as they have such a large reach. Several items I have tried to sell on here and Gumtree sold in a few days (on one occasion under an hour).

• Like 1

I'm not going to agree to the new T&Cs, they need sellers more than they need buyers (they can make money out of sellers items not selling, they can't make money out of buyers with nothing to buy), so I'm pretty sure that after a few weeks I'll get an email saying "Hey, we've decided we'll let you carry on as before....". And if they don't, as above, there's other options. Ebay has become a complete PITA for sellers anyway, I had a buyer file an 'item not as described' case a few weeks back and ebay didn't even refer it to me before finding in his favour. Turns out what he meant was "I bough a Mac interface but I have a PC". Frankly, I'd have refunded him anyway if he'd messaged me, but the fact that eBay took that decision out of my hands was quite alarming. At least under the old model the money was in my bank because I/ always transfer out of PayPal immediately, and they couldn't touch it, but I suspect under the new model there's the risk that in similar situations they will simply take the money back out of your bank account, which will be a bloody nightmare.

I should also add that when they found for the buyer as above, a link on the email they sent me said "Refund Now" and in small print underneath it is said "If you do so you not expect to receive the item back"! If it happens to you, do not click on that link folks :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beedster said:

I'm not going to agree to the new T&Cs, they need sellers more than they need buyers (they can make money out of sellers items not selling, they can't make money out of buyers with nothing to buy), so I'm pretty sure that after a few weeks I'll get an email saying "Hey, we've decided we'll let you carry on as before....". And if they don't, as above, there's other options. Ebay has become a complete PITA for sellers anyway, I had a buyer file an 'item not as described' case a few weeks back and ebay didn't even refer it to me before finding in his favour. Turns out what he meant was "I bough a Mac interface but I have a PC". Frankly, I'd have refunded him anyway if he'd messaged me, but the fact that eBay took that decision out of my hands was quite alarming. At least under the old model the money was in my bank because I/ always transfer out of PayPal immediately, and they couldn't touch it, but I suspect under the new model there's the risk that in similar situations they will simply take the money back out of your bank account, which will be a bloody nightmare.

I should also add that when they found for the buyer as above, a link on the email they sent me said "Refund Now" and in small print underneath it is said "If you do so you not expect to receive the item back"! If it happens to you, do not click on that link folks :)

Exactly. I'm not giving eBay direct access to my bank account. I mainly buy on there and only have occasional bursts of selling. However, with the way they're behaving, I'm going to stop using it for anything at all. If they send the "Hey, we've decided we'll let you carry on as before...." email, I'll keep using it, but if not, I'll forget it.

Was it Gordon Brown (as Chancellor) who found out that if you put taxes up too much the overall revenue goes down?

Hopefully this will happen here, but I doubt it.

Edited by Baxlin

The trouble is ebay have got so huge, totally mainstream now compared to their origins... they're the go-to place for buying anything for millions of folk, (and I'm sure we all encourage it to a degree!)  With that ammount of money and subsequent "clout" they can get away with pretty much anything ( just like many other "evil" corporations !! )

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it’s now June, and on June 1st I received a rather curt email from eBay telling me I could no longer sell stuff, as I’d not given them my bank details.  I’ve always used one credit card, with a deliberately low limit, for anything I buy (or sell on eBay) online using PayPal if possible, and I’ve no intention of giving my bank details.  For a start, my bank account is a joint account, and while Mrs B and I have no secrets, I have no right to give her bank details to organisations she is not involved with.

Not being able to sell on eBay isn’t too much of an issue for me, as I mostly buy, and I’ll look for other ways to sell as and when needed.

Edited by Baxlin

2 minutes ago, Baxlin said:

Well, it’s now June, and on June 1st I received a rather curt email from eBay telling me I could no longer sell stuff, as I’d not given them my bank details.  I’ve always used one credit card, with a deliberately low limit, for anything I buy (or sell on eBay) online using PayPal if possible, and I’ve no intention of giving my bank details.  For a start, my bank account is a joint account, and while Mrs B and I have no secrets, I have no right to give her bank details to organisations she is not involved with.

Not being able to sell on eBay isn’t too much of an issue for me, as I mostly buy, and I’ll look for other ways to sell as and when needed.

You wouldn't have enjoyed the process anyway. Part of the new set-up involves sending them a copy of a bank statement. Fairly painless and done within a few minutes though.

6 minutes ago, Baxlin said:

Likewise, email saying 'You are no longer allowed......." was quickly followed by emails offering me all sorts of benefits, zero selling fees etc, if I'd just take a few minutes to give them my bank details. eBay was such a great idea but has lost its way terribly and become just another cynical money machine. It's become a nightmare to use as a private seller, but I rarely use it even for buying these days as increasingly, at least in my experience, too many of the remaining private sellers there are either unable or unwilling to be honest about what they're selling. Despite the 'eBay always protects the buyer' mantra, it's creates a massive headaches to have to fight to get the type of refund that is automatic and immediate with, for example, Amazon. 

On 08/05/2021 at 04:56, Baxlin said:

Was it Gordon Brown (as Chancellor) who found out that if you put taxes up too much the overall revenue goes down?

Hopefully this will happen here, but I doubt it.

His predecessor in the 60’s realised this. A 90% top rate persuaded many high earners, including pop stars, to move overseas. It didn’t last long. 
George Harrison’s Tax Man for reference. 

I sold a bunch of studio gear on ebay after the change. It took 10 days to get the money. Now, we're talking like £500 here and I was a bit short on cash, so them holding on to it like that dragon in The Hobbit was really annoying. The guy paid the day the auction ended. I then get an email to say it'll get processed in a few days. It took 6 for it be "processed" and another 4 to be stuck in cyber limbo before it turned up in my bank account.

Ebay can now go do one as this is one step too far for me.

8 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

I sold a bunch of studio gear on ebay after the change. It took 10 days to get the money. Now, we're talking like £500 here and I was a bit short on cash, so them holding on to it like that dragon in The Hobbit was really annoying. The guy paid the day the auction ended. I then get an email to say it'll get processed in a few days. It took 6 for it be "processed" and another 4 to be stuck in cyber limbo before it turned up in my bank account.

Ebay can now go do one as this is one step too far for me.

Multiply the interest on your 500 by several million per week and you can see why they’ve done it. Doesn’t make it right, and plenty of folks will choose to opt out on that basis. I have 

• Like 2

On 07/05/2021 at 19:17, fleabag said:

Buyers are not forced to buy stuff on Ebay, so there is none of this  " buyers are having to pay extra "

Buyers can simply not buy something if it's too expensive.  Period.

You'd be surprised. (Us) Sellers won't simply 'absorb' the additional fees, we will work them into the deal.

Buyers will end up paying the additional. Especially on a lot of our stock (for which it is a sellers market). Buyers will still buy, and sellers will still sell, in a market place such as eBay - price is a secondary (or tertiary) consideration for most. Have you not seen the prices that basses and guitars sell for on the bay. Stupid prices... and there is a queue of buyers round the block for them

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

The option, as i said, is still with the seller to buy or not buy. 

It depends what you are buying. Take a particular product x for example... I might be the only seller on the internet. If you want one of product x, you will either have to pay my price or buy product y. It's absolutely no skin off my nose if you choose product y because there will be someone along 5 mins later who'll pay the asking price.

FOMO is a very real emotion/motivation for a lot of internet shoppers

No it doesnt depend on what you're buying.  It depends on what the buyer is willing to pay, even if you or some other seller has the only item on the planet. There is no gun to a buyers head to buy anything from anyone.

Its quite simple

6 minutes ago, fleabag said:

No it doesnt depend on what you're buying.  It depends on what the buyer is willing to pay, even if you or some other seller has the only item on the planet. There is no gun to a buyers head to buy anything from anyone.

Its quite simple

Of course there is no 'gun to a buyers head' just like there is no 'gun to a sellers head', I can decline your offer to purchase, just like you can skip onto the next ad. But, if you want one of my items (you don't sound like one of my target buyers btw :) ), you will have to pay the price we ask (we never discount however politely a buyer might ask, or however many they want to purchase. We do however raise prices, as other sellers sell off their stock until we are the only ones selling a particular item).

Selling on eBay, isn't just selling to an audience of 1. I might get 5000 views on a listing, but it only takes one of those buyers to click the button, and the other 4999 viewers to scroll on by... then the money's in my account, deal done. And I'm patient, with a lot of listings :)

Actually the new payment arrangements aren't that terrible (but our customers will still pay more for the privilege). Not sure that I like paying fees at the point of transaction.. makes accounting a bit easier to pay one invoice at the end of the month, but we'll live & continue to thrive! As will most successful sellers.. and if the Basschat collective decides to boycott eBay, I'm pretty sure that that eBay and Basschat will survive too

I've had the "you're now not allowed to buy or sell" email as I wouldnt give them my bank details.

Absolutely no way is any third party site like ebay having access to all my bank details and permission to deposit and withdraw at will, what they like, when they like.

And that's before even mentioning the safety aspect of them having the details on file ..... which every big business seems to loose every few years in a hacking attack...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

I could be wrong, but it’s only sellers who are now obliged to supply bank details.
I can’t see any reason why a buyer would need to.  Unless eBay is not going to allow card payments. 

I think to have an active account (which allows you to buy or sell) you have to have those details with them.

21 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

I could be wrong, but it’s only sellers who are now obliged to supply bank details.
I can’t see any reason why a buyer would need to.  Unless eBay is not going to allow card payments. 

That's what I thought. Presumably, buyers will still use PayPal as previously. I think Wolverinebass hits the nail on the head above. eBay wants to use money paid for a few days (much as banks do when they take time to "clear" payments, which, in the era of instant electronic movement of money, is a nonsense) before paying it to the seller.

11 hours ago, la bam said:

And that's before even mentioning the safety aspect of them having the details on file ..... which every big business seems to loose every few years in a hacking attack...

Exactly. If money is taken from your bank account, good luck in recovering it. You will be told that you gave consent to eBay to access your account and that consequential losses are your problem.

I spoke with eBay and asked what would happen if they were hacked and money was taken from my bank account and did not receive a satisfactory reply.

Very dodgy. I shan't be playing.

Very dodgy