Lozz196

Just a heads up, sold something for £400 on eBay

Item listed under £1 selling fees

Via the new way of paying I received £348.50 into my account 

Cash on Collection only from now on methinks 

Edited by Lozz196
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

They now take fees direct from your bank account, so even if you get paid cash on collection you still need to pay that percentage of fee... only they will have a direct debit to take it from your bank (or will have by 31st May). 

£51.50 does seem excessive in fees mind; is that about 12.5%  ebay + paypal maybe.  In which case you'll be better off in the future as you won't pay paypal fees.  

• Like 1

I too only flog stuff when it's "£1 max selling fees".  I've only flogged one thing since they did this new malarkey, ditched paypal and put it straight into your bank, I'll be interested to see how it pans out. I believe the idea is they take the fees out before you actually get the dosh or some such, and you don't get a demand for fees later on... Luckily I only sell the odd thing very occasionally, I'll be less likely to in future I'd think, the original thing with paypal worked fine really for what it was.

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Just a heads up, sold something for £400 on eBay

Item listed under £1 selling fees

Via the new way of paying I received £348.50 into my account 

Cash on Collection only from now on methinks 

have you queried it? paypal fee £11.90, 2.9% plus 30p, I once fell foul of the £1 selling fee by altering the wording of the advert later on, they refunded when I complained 

Looks like you've been charged 10% selling fee plus paypal fee

Edited by PaulWarning

I mentioned this in a thread a while back 

Seems a not so transparent way of eBay getting even closer access to bank accounts, whilst making more money by holding onto money for longer ('usually' is always an interesting word when used to define a payment period)

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I mentioned this in a thread a while back 

Seems a not so transparent way of eBay getting even closer access to bank accounts, whilst making more money by holding onto money for longer ('usually' is always an interesting word when used to define a payment period)

I can't see the problem with this, saves the hassle of transferring the money from your PayPal account to your bank account, am I missing something?

26 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I can't see the problem with this, saves the hassle of transferring the money from your PayPal account to your bank account, am I missing something?

It means eBay have the money in their bank account and make additional money via the interest over the duration they have people's money. How much hassle is it to transfer money from PayPal to your bank - takes two clicks, 2 mins tops. So not really a hassle.

I had a surprise message from eBay today after I ended a sale early (yesterday) as it was getting little interest. They sent me a bill for £19 for the item I ended early, no sale, I received no money. Another hidden eBay charge. This seems to be new as I've done this before on a couple of occasions, and was never changed, the last being fairly recently too. Naughty eBay!

35 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

Paypal payment to seller was immediate, ebay will ‘initiate transfer to bank within two days of buyer paying’, which probably means several days total plus no doubt all sorts of shenanigans that might slow it further :( 

1 minute ago, Beedster said:

Paypal payment to seller was immediate, ebay will ‘initiate transfer to bank within two days of buyer paying’, which probably means several days total plus no doubt all sorts of shenanigans that might slow it further :( 

This is true. eBay holds payment for 3-4 days, then you receive a message saying payment will go into your account in 0-4 days. Potentially eBay will hold your money for a full week. By then the buyer will probably already have received the item, and you are still awaiting payment. Seems a dumb a** way of doing things!

47 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

This is true. eBay holds payment for 3-4 days, then you receive a message saying payment will go into your account in 0-4 days. Potentially eBay will hold your money for a full week. By then the buyer will probably already have received the item, and you are still awaiting payment. Seems a dumb a** way of doing things!

Not dumb from eBay’s POV, they hold all revenue WORLDWIDE for around a week, think about the total at any one time and then calculate the interest they’re earning, they’re playing the bank’s game now, so the poor punter will have to wait for eBay first then the bank to hold into their cash in order to to fleece some jnterest before it gets to where it should and vould have been 5/7 days earlier. 

1 hour ago, hooky_lowdown said:

It means eBay have the money in their bank account and make additional money via the interest over the duration they have people's money. How much hassle is it to transfer money from PayPal to your bank - takes two clicks, 2 mins tops. So not really a hassle.

I had a surprise message from eBay today after I ended a sale early (yesterday) as it was getting little interest. They sent me a bill for £19 for the item I ended early, no sale, I received no money. Another hidden eBay charge. This seems to be new as I've done this before on a couple of occasions, and was never changed, the last being fairly recently too. Naughty eBay!

That £19 charge is insane. 

I was going to list a bass on eBay soon, but thanks to this thread those days are now over. Long live BC. 

2 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

That £19 charge is insane. 

I was going to list a bass on eBay soon, but thanks to this thread those days are now over. Long live BC. 

Yup, the item was ended early at £148, and eBay charged me £19. Had the bids been higher I or anyone else would have to pay even more I guess, and there's been no sale at all. No money changed hands, other than eBay taking direct from my bank account now!!!

• Sad 1

Yes, I had an email from eBay saying the payment system is changing for me on 31/5/21. I haven’t read the T’s & C’s yet, but having read the comment from @hooky_lowdown regarding listing cancellation, if you had something on automatic re-list, how do you avoid paying a cancellation fee? Or do you just leave it on eBay forever?

1 minute ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Yup, the item was ended early at £148, and eBay charged me £19. Had the bids been higher I or anyone else would have to pay even more I guess, and there's been no sale at all. No money changed hands, other than eBay taking direct from my bank account now!!!

Ah, so it was an auction item that had bids on it? Still unfair, but that makes a bit more sense. All mine are fixed price/buy it now.

ebay are getting more greedy by the year, remember when you sold some thing for £10 + £5 post  you was only charged 10% on your sell value not the post, but now as yall know they charge 10% on the full £15 you get, so now everyone had to put there post price up by 10% and what ever % paypall charge, fair enough so the only person who is loosing out here is the buyer, they are having to pay the extra if you put the extra on, if you do not it comes out of your pocket, which goes into ebays pocket thank you very much.

I was selling classic car parts all over the world, selling heavy stuff overseas was a real pain in the crack, like post to austraila in my case once was £85 ! for something i sold for £30, this is where people take the pi@@, once they get the items  they just say  " not what i was expecting" or "there is a fault" i dont want it, , " please can i return it?" knowing you have to pay them their money back, and now your £85  out of pocket for what you spent on the post  AND you have to give them £85 to get it back as well,  so if you want it back it will cost you £170 or even more if the post price is higher , so they keep it, and get their refund. then they bar you from bidding on any of their stuff so you cant do it back to them.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

iv had my fill of ebay,

Rant now over,,,,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Ah, so it was an auction item that had bids on it? Still unfair, but that makes a bit more sense. All mine are fixed price/buy it now.

The same may apply to fixed or buy it now as well, I don't know since eBay changed their rules!

1 hour ago, funkgod said:

ebay are getting more greedy by the year, remember when you sold some thing for £10 + £5 post  you was only charged 10% on your sell value not the post, but now as yall know they charge 10% on the full £15 you get, 

I,

I think ebay bought this in because some sellers who were selling goods for 1p with a very high postage charge, 

Same with the ending early charge (which I've not heard of), some were doing a deal with the buyer then ending the auction early to avoid charges.

Of course these changes benefit ebay but there is a logic behind them apart from extra profit.

As for ebay hanging onto your money for a couple of extra days, assuming you're quick off the mark in transferring your money into your bank account, how much extra interest would you make? bugger all.

There's no doubt that ebay is a very successful greedy money making machine but they do offer a good outlet for selling goods to a far bigger market than collection only methods  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Another reason to steer clear. I've found, aside from the BC marketplace, Reverb to be far more reliable. There's still buyer protection but a lot less chancers... For now! 

I've just started to use Reverb lately, I bought a couple of things in the past month or so.  Experience generally positive , although I was a little disappointed with the condition of one of the items, but condition descriptions are subjective.

I've Not tried selling yet as I've been squeezing the last few £1 max fees from eBay before the change in terms.  How Reverb fees / terms compare to the new eBay fees?

Edited by PatrickJ