Why become a member? ×

How low do you wear your bass ?

Guest BassAdder27

I'm a cellist and relatively new to bass and have lessons... so on the one hand I've been taught to have the bass so that it's in the same place sitting or standing. The other influence is my left hand technique from playing cello - basically hand shape should be pretty similar and I don't want any stress or strain on my left wrist/arm as that way tendinitis lies... I'll have to take some pics of me playing bass and post something up... 

• Like 3

On 06/05/2021 at 06:52, BassAdder27 said:

Low slung or high up ?

How do you have your bass with your strap 

I do prefer low around waist level I think 

I’m a tall guy with long arms and find this the most comfortable playing standing / live 

What about you guys ? 

Generally about the same as if I were sitting down, maybe a tiny bit lower. If I wear it low I have to bend my left wrist in ways that make playing harder for me. I could probably play root 8ths all night long, but it's a handicap. Looks good, but I want to be comfortable. 

I used to play mine really low as I thought I looked cooler but realism made me wear it higher as I got older. Just below waist height now. I remember in the 80's seeing a band playing in our town and the bass player was resting his chin on his bass. I vowed to never ever wear it that high.

Just about high enough to avoid the back of the bass contracting buckle-rash.

Wrongly or rightly; that matters to me, but I've been playing long enough to know that this also works for me from an ergonomic perspective.

I prefer to go higher rather than lower to avoid bending the wrist on my fretting hand, and tilt the neck at 45 degrees so that my plucking hand is kept as straight as possible.

I'm not in the game to look cool, but to keep playing as long as I can without health issues.

Edited by TheLowDown
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Just found this video grab -- this is where I wear mine. Rather fetching t-shirt, I'm sure you'll agree. Gormless expression model's own.

image.thumb.png.cd1f96b0359ff73101343cd3d8bac550.png

Great T shirt. I wore mine so much it just became a series of holes held together with some cotton.