Why become a member? ×

How low do you wear your bass ?

Guest BassAdder27

4 hours ago, Naigewron said:

I never understood this logic... Why is the seated position automatically the best? I prefer playing standing up so that I can stretch out my right arm a little.

The 'seated position' refers to maintaining the strap so where the bass is sitting relative to your torso when you are seated is the same when standing. It gives the most natural fretting hand position.

I like that for playing but it plays hell with my plucking wrist being all cocked around for three hours straight.

10 hours ago, Naigewron said:

'bout here

542150819_IMG_9991(Custom).thumb.jpg.d9ad269b356378a9fbc8ae15ee9f744a.jpg

Perfect lowness 👍

9 hours ago, Rich said:

James Finnigan wore his bass ridiculously high during his Hue & Cry days. Apologies for the poor quality screen grab. 

PSX_20210506_214056.jpg

Yes! I remember this - even as a kid with zero knowledge, I remember thinking it looked weird!

Edited by MHMSWC#03
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

The 'seated position' refers to maintaining the strap so where the bass is sitting relative to your torso when you are seated is the same when standing. It gives the most natural fretting hand position.

I like that for playing but it plays hell with my plucking wrist being all cocked around for three hours straight.

That's exactly it. I can play sitting down just fine, but it's not as comfortable for my right arm and shoulder. I definitely wouldn't want to have the bass in the same position when playing standing up.

I definitely prefer standing up if I'm going to be playing for a little while, especially if I'm rehearsing songs for my band.

I was more comfortable sitting down before. However, I've changed my technique to floating thumb, which means that my right arm needs to be in a completely different position. I can't just rest my wrist on top of my bass anymore.

Anchoring my thumb on my pickup worked fine for 4-string basses, but as I moved on to 5-strings that was no longer an option. Overall I play a lot better and more comfortably now (and my right thumb no longer hurts after long sessions), but it has definitely affected my seated playing comfort. Maybe I'll gradually find a new position that works better.

Edited by Naigewron

My bass sits high solely for my fretting hand. Any lower and I wouldn't have the reach to fret, and I'm very conscious of the strain I can feel if my wrist is at too much of an angle from playing low.

Although this means that the bass is at the same height whether I'm sat or standing, it still feels completely different between the two. I don't have the same upper body posture, however much I try, sitting as I do standing. I feel cramped when playing sat down. Stood up I don't feel the same.

On 06/05/2021 at 07:09, Jonesy said:

I sling my bass pretty low and find if comfy to have my right arm fairly straight when playing. Not as low as Tatsu Mikami though!!

1f9c2dcdf4b87761c6357ac87e9ee0a8.jpg

He always picks way up on the neck like that so I guess it makes sense. His tone is absolutely disgusting in a good way 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

He always picks way up on the neck like that so I guess it makes sense. His tone is absolutely disgusting in a good way 

He is the master of brutality when it comes to a dirty, wah filled, noise!!

• Like 1

On 06/05/2021 at 10:28, Silvia Bluejay said:

High enough to reach all the frets, low enough for the top horn not to hit or squish my right breast (I play lefty). Yup, gender-specific setup. Heh. 🙄😎

Given the average age of our membership, I am not sure that that is so 😎

• Haha 2

I used to do the same height sitting as standing but not every bass felt comfortable when standing becausr of things like balance and body size/weight.  So now, I wear them so I can play the whole length of the neck comfortably, and so I can go between fingers and slap easily. Normally this is with the top horn just below chest height.

I like what Dean Ween says- Have your guitar above the d!ck or below the d!ck, but never covering it 😄

3 hours ago, Doddy said:

I used to do the same height sitting as standing but not every bass felt comfortable when standing becausr of things like balance and body size/weight.  So now, I wear them so I can play the whole length of the neck comfortably, and so I can go between fingers and slap easily. Normally this is with the top horn just below chest height.

I like what Dean Ween says- Have your guitar above the d!ck or below the d!ck, but never covering it 😄

I don't think my arms are long enough for below. 😁

As low as possible

I use the extra long version of the comfort strapp adjusted to the maximum length available for my thunderbirds - I think its actually 's against the law to play a thunderbird at nipple height like the Sade bloke's stingray.

for my mustangs I use a levys suede stap adjusted as long as possible.