Why become a member? ×

How low do you wear your bass ?

Guest BassAdder27

5 hours ago, Rageofklugman said:

I've seen Church of Misery a few times and each time was struck at how ridiculously uncomfortable (and kind of silly, come to think of it)  it looks to sling a bass THAT low.

True, I've had a go at slinging it that low just to see how it feels and I can't see how he manages to play like that. Still, he gets a good tone and plays some great lines!!

8 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

High enough to reach all the frets, low enough for the top horn not to hit or squish my right breast (I play lefty). Yup, gender-specific setup. Heh. 🙄😎

Mine doesn't squish my boobs either. Yup, it's a flab-specific setup :lol: 

• Haha 2

I had to play this song once at a party, so I tried to hang my bass like Paul Denman , it’s a great song but I don’t know how he played with the bass so high ,But he looks comfortable 

Edited by Reggaebass

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

I had to play this song once at a party, so I tried to hang my bass like Paul Denman , it’s a great song but I don’t know how he played with the bass so high ,But he looks comfortable 

I think He had it even higher than that when they did Live Aid!

What a great band though & great cover version. Sad thing is when Sade recorded it the situation it describes seemed to be getting better - however now We seem to have gone backwards!!

(Woops: mentioned politics once but think I got away with it !!)

Edited by BoomTing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

You look like Colin Edwin from Porcupine Tree with that hat on 👍

My frontman reckons the hat makes me look like I'm about to sell someone a £10 deal in the pub car park.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Always adjust the strap from a seated position, that way when you stand up, it will still be in the same place.

I never understood this logic... Why is the seated position automatically the best? I prefer playing standing up so that I can stretch out my right arm a little.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

James Finnigan wore his bass ridiculously high during his Hue & Cry days. Apologies for the poor quality screen grab. 

PSX_20210506_214056.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

I don’t think it works for a bassist 

Certainly not for upright players, but at the end of the day it's a bass guitar.

9 minutes ago, Naigewron said:

Why is the seated position automatically the best?

I don't think anyone implied the seating position is better, it's so the bass is in the position whether you're seated or standing.

Someone might practice palm-muted notes on the 1st string at home while seated perfectly fine, but when they sling it low, that palm-muting position & 1st string become out of reach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rich said:

James Finnigan wore his bass ridiculously high during his Hue & Cry days. Apologies for the poor quality screen grab.

That looks even higher rich, when I tried it fretting was fine but the right arm and shoulder was really uncomfortable 

4 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Always adjust the strap from a seated position, that way when you stand up, it will still be in the same place.

What if you never play sitting down with a strap though? It’d have to be crazy short to be doing anything in my case.

Edited by Passinwind

6 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

That's an expensive looking bib!

• Like 1