Why become a member? ×

How low do you wear your bass ?

Guest BassAdder27

Low slung or high up ?

How do you have your bass with your strap 

I do prefer low around waist level I think 

I’m a tall guy with long arms and find this the most comfortable playing standing / live 

What about you guys ? 

When I was a kid playing the guitar, I had two rules: it shouldn't be worn high up and also had to be horizontal. iirc I felt that a rising neck looked twee. Yeah, I know 🙄

The moment I put a bass on, all that had to go in the bin - I wouldn't be able to reach the nut otherwise - but that preference for my right arm hanging loosely down to the strings, nice and relaxed, remains. Heaven knows what my teenage self would have thought about the tuners being level with my eyes.....

I grew up with role models like Paul Simonon so I have always slung pretty low (since the 80s). As I have got older I have raised it very slightly only for it to come back down. I know technique wise it benefits from being slightly higher but you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

• Like 1

High, I suppose. A similar height to where Billy Sheehan has his bass. 

Any lower and my fretting hand really struggles. The downside is that my other arm can ache playing so high. It's a bit of a compromise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

I grew up with role models like Paul Simonon so I have always slung pretty low (since the 80s). As I have got older I have raised it very slightly only for it to come back down. I know technique wise it benefits from being slightly higher but you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Pretty much the same for me, not super low but low enough to be aware that technique wise it would be better higher.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I sling my bass pretty low and find if comfy to have my right arm fairly straight when playing. Not as low as Tatsu Mikami though!!

1f9c2dcdf4b87761c6357ac87e9ee0a8.jpg

I've seen Church of Misery a few times and each time was struck at how ridiculously uncomfortable (and kind of silly, come to think of it)  it looks to sling a bass THAT low.

• Thanks 1