Why become a member? ×

Recording Rehearsals

Andy_L

At the moment we record rehearsals using just a tablet with its in-built mic and the results aren't great, you'll be surprised to hear. 

What would you recommend to improve this? A usb mic looks the cheapest option, or go for a dedicated recorder?

Thanks, Andy

7 hours ago, itsmedunc said:

Best results I've ever had was in the late 80's with a Tandy PZM. Cheap as chips then considering.

Classic Mike! I’ve been in studio sessions that used one as a room mic for drums etc... great sound!

• Like 1

Another zoom recommendation from me. We sometimes use the H2N (audio) or the Q2N (audio and video) for rehearsals. The sound capture is pretty sweet. Nowdays we mic everything up into a Tascam Audio Interface and mix in Reaper but for a quick setup I certainly think you can't go wrong with the zoom like this one

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/field-recorders/zoom-h2n-handheld-audio-recorder?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=CjwKCAjwhMmEBhBwEiwAXwFoEcY-iDv4_qQ35F0IvSpt6_yiR5_hSh78RuX8douuTI7wb7Mze2yotRoCp_YQAvD_BwE

Another recommendation for a dedicated recorder, like the Zoom mentioned, but there are others out there.

I have a Tascam DR-05, which does the same thing, records onto a micro SD card, so easily transferred onto a computer and shared to the rest of the band.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skybone said:

Another recommendation for a dedicated recorder, like the Zoom mentioned, but there are others out there.

I have a Tascam DR-05, which does the same thing, records onto a micro SD card, so easily transferred onto a computer and shared to the rest of the band.

Plus one for the Tascams - I have one which is at least 10 years old but great to just plonk down in the middle of the rehearsal room and leave recording for the whole session. Seems to pick up bass really well too which is an added bonus! 

On 05/05/2021 at 22:33, AndyTravis said:

We bought a zoom h2n, works ok. Wish we’d gone with the newest version as apparently they’re a bit better.

second hand, think I paid £75/£80

Zoom again here, a lowly H1n and it still does the job well. I got some Panasonic Eneloop rechargable batteries and a proper charger (one that does each cell individually) and it is just set and forget for a 3 hour session.

Ive been recording rehearsals since the 80s. From tape to DAT/MD and now digital recorders.

These days i use a Roland R-07. the best ive ever had. very small and light, i put it on a GoPro mount and clip it somewhere central. the best feature is the app you can get to control it, and see the recoding levels etc on your phone. Very cool. For rehearsals i dont need lots of mics or multi-track and effects etc, so this is perfect for me.