Why become a member? ×

Thomastik Jazz Flats Strange Buzzing

bobmartin

I have a new set of Thomastik Jazz Flats on a recently set-up short scale Gibson bass. There's a buzz on the F on the A string which is not fret related, as I can bend the other string to the same spot and there's no issue.

But here's a thing, I'm only getting it when one finger is touching the string. I get the buzz when playing it with my first finger, but not when all my 4th all fingers are down on the string, or even one other. So the vibration is coming from the other side of the played note? How can this be?

Bob.

If @hooky_lowdown's suggestions do not effect a cure your ideas may be the way forward. Nut slot might be too low? More more neck relief needed? Or higher action, I find TI flats better with a higher action (2.5 to 3mm works for me). My SG bass also suffered a buzzing bass pickup cover at a specific frequency. Fixed with plastic sheet epoxied under the chrome cover. It is one of my favourite basses with TIs. Warm, thick, punchy, instant Jack Bruce / Andy Fraser :)

Edited by 3below

Thanks for the comments, and I'm happy to report that it's the nut which is too low, which is a relief considering that it could have been a vibrating truss rod..

The luthier who set it up insisted (over the phone) that it was a string problem, 'cos TI's have very poor quality control. What can you say?

The bass is a Gibson Les Paul Tribute DC and the first short scale since 1970 when I started with a EB3, and makes a proper bass sound.😉

Bob.

Edited by bobmartin
Grammar.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobmartin said:

The luthier who set it up insisted (over the phone) that it was a string problem, 'cos TI's have very poor quality control. What can you say?

hah.  I'd say you need to find a different luthier.  I use nothing but TI Flats - first thing I do when I get a new bass is stick a set of these on.  A casual glance at my feedback will indicate how many basses that is = a lot of strings.  Never had a duff one, they have been enjoyably consistent.

Sound lush on a LP Jnr DC, don't they!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paul S said:

hah.  I'd say you need to find a different luthier.  I use nothing but TI Flats - first thing I do when I get a new bass is stick a set of these on.  A casual glance at my feedback will indicate how many basses that is = a lot of strings.  Never had a duff one, they have been enjoyably consistent.

+1 likewise I only have one bass that does not have TIs.  I also have way too many basses.

5 hours ago, Paul S said:

I haven't gigged with it yet, and I bought it off eBay in an "as new" apart from the dodgy nut. I'm very happy with it through my Markbass 802, and it has a broad tonal range just of the tone pot alone. I need to set the pick-up height, my first humbuckers since heaven knows when..