Why become a member? ×

Shipping costs after Brexit

TheGreek

• 1 month later...

I,m relocating back to the UK from Greece due to personal reasons. It,s looking like I have to pay Greek custom,s to get my own stuff out, and UK customs to get my stuff in. Plus pay the VAT on stuff I already own. That could even include my cat and dog that I,m trying to get back home too as under the new rules they may be animals but they are classed as cargo and I will need an import agent. If there was a bigger market in Greece for bass guitars I,d get rid of the lot here. but what with the financial crisis and covid no-one here is interested. Absolute nightmare.

9 hours ago, Fternolad said:

pay Greek custom,s to get my own stuff out

That will be for an inspection to look for dope and antiquities and little girls. You would have already paid Greek VAT on anything you bought in the EU.

Depending on how long you have been away I would think there would be less duty and VAT involved in importing your personal stuff into the UK.

It used to be 2 years for a car into NZ at cost.

This article plus stories from one or two people I know in the industry reveal another ‘unforeseen’ issue from Brexit. If firms are offering 20% wage increases just to retain/recruit delivery drivers, it looks like shipping costs (and everything else costs) are going to ‘inflate’….. Anyone get the distinct feeling that those promoting Brexit either didn’t have a clue about economics or anything else?! Whilst Covid issues are also wrapped up in this, the fact that UK’s economy has ‘bounced back significantly slower than any other comparable economy suggests another economic condition other than Covid effect has occurred. 

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/the-grocer-blog-daily-bread/the-hgv-driver-shortage-has-hit-catastrophic-levels-industry-needs-government-intervention/656892.article

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

This article plus stories from one or two people I know in the industry reveal another ‘unforeseen’ issue from Brexit. If firms are offering 20% wage increases just to retain/recruit delivery drivers, it looks like shipping costs (and everything else costs) are going to ‘inflate’….. Anyone get the distinct feeling that those promoting Brexit either didn’t have a clue about economics or anything else?! Whilst Covid issues are also wrapped up in this, the fact that UK’s economy has ‘bounced back significantly slower than any other comparable economy suggests another economic condition other than Covid effect has occurred. 

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/the-grocer-blog-daily-bread/the-hgv-driver-shortage-has-hit-catastrophic-levels-industry-needs-government-intervention/656892.article

The ringleaders knew full well what the consequences would be. The people they convinced to vote for it weren’t so aware though, despite what they say. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

That will be for an inspection to look for dope and antiquities and little girls. You would have already paid Greek VAT on anything you bought in the EU.

Depending on how long you have been away I would think there would be less duty and VAT involved in importing your personal stuff into the UK.

It used to be 2 years for a car into NZ at cost.

I,ve been here 11 years. The basses and amp were purchased via Andertons and Bass Direct. The amp came from Thomann. So obviously I,ve paid the vat when I purchased the items new. Now I have to pay the vat on the same items as second hand goods on my return. there are quite a few animal charities out here who ship dogs and cats back to the UK to rehome them and their costs have basically doubled and they can,t afford to do it anymore.

19 minutes ago, Fternolad said:

I,ve been here 11 years. The basses and amp were purchased via Andertons and Bass Direct. The amp came from Thomann. So obviously I,ve paid the vat when I purchased the items new. Now I have to pay the vat on the same items as second hand goods on my return. there are quite a few animal charities out here who ship dogs and cats back to the UK to rehome them and their costs have basically doubled and they can,t afford to do it anymore.

I know VAT would be payable if you sold them to  someone in the UK. I didn’t realise you’d have to if you were bringing them back with you.

13 hours ago, drTStingray said:

If firms are offering 20% wage increases just to retain/recruit delivery drivers, it looks like shipping costs (and everything else costs) are going to ‘inflate’…..

That is true, but that is the way of things, everything will get more expensive, but I think that might be one of the good side effects. Talking to delivery drivers it is crazy what they have to do, so I am all for it costing more.

And I am sure the brexit voters will be happy to pay more too - I never knew what soverignty was but I know it can't be cheap!

• Like 1

Interestingly enough, and not related to europe, but I decided I really need to get the battery pack for my Q2N camera and their weren't many non Amazon places. Then I noticed that B&H in the states had it. Had always avoided using them because of shipping and tax, but I clicked add to basket and it had 'including UK VAT' - and the price for it with shipping and tax was less than amazon anyway, so thought I would go for it.

Came today, no additional costs.

Just a quick update. I tried filling the online ToR form in last night. It said they usually take 14 days to process a claim. It asked for health certificates for the animals to be uploaded to their site but you cant get a health certificate until under 10 days before they travel. I ended up ringing them and they were very helpful. Turns out I can pay the VAT and I have 6 months to reclaim it when I return, which will be much easier I think.

Just a quick thankyou to the guys who gave me the info and help on here. Much appreciated.

Edited by Fternolad
spelling
  • Like 4