Why become a member? ×

Shipping costs after Brexit

TheGreek

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I don't understand. What is the problem?

18 Euro shipping charge is pretty reasonable from Germany to the UK.

I pay a minimum of 20 euros in Thomann orders and I live in the EU. 

It's excessive for one pack of strings, their postage was a lot cheaper before the divorce. 

There's a cost to clear through Customs now. I think the couriers are taking the wizz with their charges on that.

Post used to be able to do that for free here. Stuff arrived declared and Post it put on a shelf while Customs sent you a demand letter. Once you paid up Customs told Post to carry on and deliver it.

Now NZ Post is in bed with DHL. Can't even post a bass in a case any more.

If you can get the item from Thomann, they charge £8 postage costs on orders below £135. If the total order is under £135, Thomann will collect the UK vat, so you don't need to pay the courier any handling fees in the UK.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, verb said:

If you can get the item from Thomann, they charge £8 postage costs on orders below £135. If the total order is under £135, Thomann will collect the UK vat, so you don't need to pay the courier any handling fees in the UK.

Why let the facts get in the way of a good story? :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I just bought some camera stuff from Sweden. It was cheaper to buy two separate orders with premium DHL postage than do it as one and pay duty. Ordered Sunday, here on Tuesday (bearing in mind the bank holiday!)

Does anyone know if the import duties on used goods will be reviewed? I heard an MP hinting at it online somewhere but anyone know for sure? 

2 minutes ago, ped said:

I just bought some camera stuff from Sweden. It was cheaper to buy two separate orders with premium DHL postage than do it as one and pay duty. Ordered Sunday, here on Tuesday (bearing in mind the bank holiday!)

Does anyone know if the import duties on used goods will be reviewed? I heard an MP hinting at it online somewhere but anyone know for sure? 

No, that was Boris saying he'd paid the bill in full himself....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

That's not Thomann, and NOT a post-Brexit thing either. Warwick's webshop has very high shipping costs. I ordered a pickup and a pan pot from them in January and they made me pay €21,80 in shipping with DHL Express. And I'm in the Netherlands, so still in the EU and right nextdoor to Germany! 

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ped said:

That was often the outside EU case - when my wife used to sell to norway they would order in multiple small deliveries as it would end up cheaper (even though the shipping was initially more).

29 minutes ago, ped said:

Seems very unlikely that anything is going to change (for the better) any time soon. In fact the UK are due to put their customs in place sometime soon (when they have enough customs officers).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ped said:

I think that most unlikely. Used goods can be anywhere from indistinguishable from new to on their last legs. All have value when brought across the taxation border.

The problem isn't the taxing of imports. The problem is getting a tax credit from the export side for the local sales tax embodied. Apparently the UK isn't into that at present but I expect that is what you heard about.

Now sorted. It was actually cheaper to buy the strings through Thomann than through Warwick (as suggested above).

I also managed to get a 4 string set of Rotos Tapewound for £23 from the eBay seller who did, then didn't, have the 5 string sets, hence the second low B. Like buses!!

I've found that there are a couple of companies possibly trying to "muscle in" on the tapewound market - Warwick and Fender (who have introduced a .58 set) at incredibly reasonable prices compared to La Bella. It may be worth stocking up for what will probably be "introductory prices".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

... getting a tax credit from the export side for the local sales tax embodied. Apparently the UK isn't into that at present but I expect that is what you heard about.

This old chestnut keeps coming up. How could any individual, private person claim back any VAT paid on new goods when these goods are later sold, to an individual, as exported 'second-hand'..? Assuming neither of the persons are registered for VAT (being private persons...), how could this work..? Would the whole of the paid VAT be claimed..? A 'pro-rata' proportion of the selling price..? How about gifts..? Could one claim back that VAT..? I seem to understand (although I'm confused about it...) that NZ manage to offer this to its citizens; there's nothing like it in the Old World, as far as I am aware. :scratch_one-s_head:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

This old chestnut keeps coming up. How could any individual, private person claim back any VAT paid on new goods when these goods are later sold, to an individual, as exported 'second-hand'..? Assuming neither of the persons are registered for VAT (being private persons...), how could this work..? Would the whole of the paid VAT be claimed..? A 'pro-rata' proportion of the selling price..? How about gifts..? Could one claim back that VAT..? I seem to understand (although I'm confused about it...) that NZ manage to offer this to its citizens; there's nothing like it in the Old World, as far as I am aware. :scratch_one-s_head:

Paperwork.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, bode said:

You will find that couriers are taking advantage of covid. With no air capacity, the cost posting goods internationally is astronomical at present. The EU shouldn't be as bad, but they are adding all sorts of admin fees post Brexit.

The UK scrapped the £15 threshold for importing goods, so now all goods pay the VAT. The EU were supposed to do this on 1st January 2021, but being the streamlined efficient bureaucratic nightmare that they are, it was delayed until July. Yes, this is to prevent VAT evasion and the flood of cheap Chinese goods  which saturate eBay and Amazon. You can blame Amazon and eBay for inviting them into our local marketplace!

Yup, it's the others' fault. Of course.

edit: 😉 (it reads very differently if I don't add this, sorry)

Edited by mcnach