Why become a member? ×

What if it's too small?

lownote

19 hours ago, lownote12 said:

OP here.  Tnx for all the input. Pretty much as I expected, but its nice to have it confirmed. I do agree that selling my current PJ cabs isn't going to put me on Forbes' rich list.  I also think the 2x7" is too little for anything but a small acoustic gig. I'm keeping my eye out for a cheap Ashdown box to see me through the lean years before my next gig, and until I find it I'll advertise both PJ cabs and obv keep them to hand until they go, which may be a while.   

I've seen the Rootmaster cabs going for about a hundred quid second hand which is crazy for what they are. Fingers crossed something turns up near you. 

On 07/05/2021 at 11:48, Dan Dare said:

Yep. 154 sq. in vs 78.5. Quite a bit more than a 12 and not far short of a 15.

Do that calc again, using the cone radius, not the frame radius. The 4x7 is going to be closer to 100 Sq in. A typical 12 is 80, a typical 15 is 130. Not that this is at all definitive, because excursion is just as important as area, and smaller drivers tend to have less excursion than larger drivers. You can find 12s with 8mm or more of excursion, 7s with that much would be quite rare.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't quite answer my original question about oomph, but having sold my Nano and thought I'd sold the PJB 47 on a whim I partnered the Ashdown head with the PJ 27. I don't know about the oomph as I say but the mellow sound is dope and well good enough for a keeper set up.  Looks like a mushroom with the amp overhang but wot the fox.