Why become a member? ×

Narrow (ish) necked 5er?

Moos3h

Hi folks

I’m STILL struggling with the move to a five string, but do want to persevere with it - my Woodworm is a lovely thing but I really don’t get on with how wide the neck is as my hands are quite small.

Not knowing much about these things, is there a brand that is known for a slightly narrower neck when it comes to five strings? Some look like the width of a floorboard and I have no hope at all!

Thanks,

James

1 hour ago, Moos3h said:

Hi folks

I’m STILL struggling with the move to a five string, but do want to persevere with it - my Woodworm is a lovely thing but I really don’t get on with how wide the neck is as my hands are quite small.

Not knowing much about these things, is there a brand that is known for a slightly narrower neck when it comes to five strings? Some look like the width of a floorboard and I have no hope at all!

Thanks,

James

James, which part of the neck have you problem with? Is it already too wide at the neck or it is fine for the first positions but tapers too much much towards the bridge making it wider as you go for the higher positions?
For example the Spector Euro 5 that I use a lot has a tight spacing at the bridge (17mm) and the nut is not wide so the whole fretboard tapers not that much. Whereas my old Yamama TRB had much the same nut measure but the bridge spacing was wider (19mm iirc) so the whole board  tapered big time, it became almost like a landing zone for military aircrafts 🙂

Most Ibanez 5 strings are 45mm nut width. Splay out to 18 to 19mm at the bridge depending on model (some go down to 16.5mm at the bridge as pointed out below. I tend to forget about them as they are for weirdos with malformed fingers).

Stingray 5 is 44.5mm (and it is noticeable) and splay out to 17.5mm at the bridge. So that stays narrower all the way up

The Ibby neck is quite a lot shallower though.

I have similar issues - my favourite 5 (for today anyway) is the Ibanez Mezzo. 32 scale, 45mm nut and 18mm at the bridge. Would have been even better with a 44.5mm nut but I can't have everything!

The Mayones Hadrien Feraud is a tiny 43mm at the nut (according to the site) and 18mm at the bridge - that would be lovely for me but they are too heavy. And expensive!

Edited by fretmeister

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Most Ibanez 5 strings...(some go down to 16.5mm at the bridge as pointed out below. I tend to forget about them as they are for weirdos with malformed fingers).

I've just a booked an appointment with a psychologist and a bone surgeon...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I have similar issues - my favourite 5 (for today anyway) is the Ibanez Mezzo. 32 scale, 45mm nut and 18mm at the bridge. Would have been even better with a 44.5mm nut but I can't have everything!

I also have fairly small hands and a Mezzo - the 32" is whizzy and it's a great little bass for low cost 🙂 I liked the 32" so much so I picked up a second hand Warwick Rockbass Corvette 32" 5 string. That has a 43mm nut and 16mm (adjustable) spacing (using my daughters battered ruler). Cracking little bass if you can get one (at a sensible price), the B string on it is second only to my Dingwall NG2.

If you get the chance to try 32" scale then I'd recommend it. As your fingers aren't stretching so far horizontally, there is more finger length left vertically to cover the board.

Edited by redbandit599

I'm a freak for skinny neck 5ers with a not too wide spacing. My faves amongst the ones I own now are the Stingray5 (34" scale, 20mm thickness @fret1, 44.5mm nut, 17.5mm spacing) and the Schecter CV-5 (35" scale, 19.5mm thickness @fret1, 45mm nut, 17mm spacing). Many other basses I've owned had such skinny necks, notably an Ibby SR, and an Ibby ATK (most ATKs I've owned were bulky necked, but this one, 2011 MIK ATK-405, 2 pickups, was as skinny as my Ray 5ers, same kinda' sharp C profile, same 17.5mm spacing).

I had a thing for skinny necked 5ers and the skinniest I had were a Hohner BV and Peavey Foundation 5.  the latter very tight spacing at both the nut and the bridge.

Edit - I think the slimmest was this one.  Indeed this very bass - Danny found it for me in Japan.

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 1