Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SS Flip Top - what was it?

JapanAxe

The bass player in my first country band (in which I was guitarist) had a solid state flip-top Ampeg. This was around 1991. It was quite a compact unit that was attached to the top of a 1x15 speaker cab. I seem to recall that it had preset EQ profiles (e.g. ‘Pop’) that could be selected by push buttons on the front panel.

So far I have been unable to find this mystery amp by the power of Google  - any ideas? Just curious!

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Did it look like the B15 or the portaflex head 

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

I'm intrigued!

There was the BT-15, a solid state fliptop, or the B-100r which had Ultra Low, Ultra Mid, and Ultra High switches. The BT-15 was late 60's, and the B-100r probably mid-90's.

It didn't look like any of those!

The amp part was about 1U or 1.5U tall, about 15in wide, mainly black. I'm now starting to doubt whether it was actually an Ampeg or a flip-top, but it definitely had style-based presets in addition to regular tone controls...

21 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I had an Ampeg solid state flip top years ago with an EV iirc.  

Not sure about presets etc but it was about 150w and a nice bit of kit... though it ran out of steam pretty quick.  

Preset buttons?

23 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

It was an Ampeg B15T EV

I Googled B15T and that looks right.

Except for the buttons. Maybe the guy just had a reference card of settings or something.

EDIT: The B15T manual has 2 pages of suggested sound settings. Maybe he showed me that...

Edited by JapanAxe

It’s coming back to me. I think the guy had actually taped a copy of the suggested settings to the top of the amp for easy reference. One of the settings is called ‘Funk popping’ (not ‘Pop’).

• Like 1

I have one of those BT15 heads, quite nice sounding, not very loud, but get b....hot in use. No eq buttons.

same circuit was used for a combo,SVT15, or SVT75 , I think. they got really hot in use, too. 

Edited by Chimike
add
  • Thanks 1