Why become a member? ×

** SOLD ** Limelight 'John Deacon' Precision Bass #236 - Jazz neck
£895
Wickford, Essex, England.

Back up for sale - but please read again as there are significant changes (in blue)

There is a whole thread about the genesis of this bass which I will attach to the bottom of this ad, but essentially I commissioned Mark to build this for me for a charity gig where we performed the Queen set from Live Aid.

At that time, John Deacon had stripped one of his vintage P's to natural and it was used for the gig. He later painted it black as seen on the '86 Magic Tour.

Please note that this Precision bass has a Jazz profile neck

Other than some light playing at home, it has been used only for the rehearsals and subsequent charity gig.

Commissioned 10/4/19 - Completed 6/7/19 - Received by me 10/7/19 - Gigged 23/11/19

The spec on this bass is:

1968 Precision in Natural Light Relic

Alder body (upcharge for superior wood selection)

Rosewood fretboard with clay dots

Weight 8.46lbs

J width neck

Neck depth at 1st fret: 22.55mm

Neck depth at 12th fret: 25.32mm

Neck width at nut: 37.41mm

Neck width at 12th fret: 55.36mm

Neck radius: 10"

Hand rolled finger board edges

Aged nitro finish on the neck

Tortoiseshell scratchplate 

Vintage reverse Gotoh tuners 

Aged finish in nitro-cellulose, very light relic 

Tarnished metal work (but not rusty - yeah right 😂) - This is the reason this bass was withdrawn. It had been sold pending payment and I happened to get it out of its case for a quick noodle. As it hadn't been played for a while, I plugged it into the tuner and noticed the intonation on the A string was slightly out. I attempted to adjust this and found that I couldn't as the intonation screws were solid. In fact, the whole bridge was unadjustable! I removed the bridge from the bass, during which the A string snapped at the tuning peg, which was bit odd as the bass has barely been played. Anyway, I tried everything from soaking the whole bridge in lubricant to brute force. Eventually, all the intonation screws relented, but the saddle height screws were having absolutely none of it. I binned them in the end and ordered some new ones. These ones are shiny as you can see from the photos and the rest of the bridge is as it was. If you would prefer, I can put all of the new bridge on to match the saddles, or you can have it as it is. I don't know what Limelight do to artificially age their parts, but they need to stop, or do it less at the very least. Apparently it's a known issue, but unfortunately, I didn't know or I would have specified 'new' hardware.

As mentioned above, as a result of the bridge removal, the A string snapped at the tuning peg. This bass is now wearing a new set of Rotosound RS77LD 45-105 Monel Flatwounds as per John Deacon's preference. Yeah, they're not cheap, but it's not going to cost you extra and neither is the new bridge. If you really don't like flats, I can put a set of round wounds on it for you at no extra cost.

Hootenanny button on the back of the headstock

Thumb rest below G string

Alnico pick ups

Vintage wired

CTS pots and Spraque cap

Switchcraft Jack

Period correct Fender Big TV logo (as per pictures)

Comes in an old, but functional hard case.

Shipping update - If you are within a reasonable distance, I'm sure we can work out a meet somewhere. I live in South Essex, but do travel up to relatives in Colchester. I'm also gigging in Derbyshire at the end of this month (July 2021). Failing that, for £50, you can take part in @walshy's 'man with a van' experience. I've tried it and it's great - a total peace of mind service at an affordable price. I would have to double check with him depending on your location, but he has done one long run for me at that price, so I'm hopeful. He's also done many trips for @walshy as well as a few other people I know on Basschat.

This is the link for the bass on Limelight web site.

Photos - all photos are representative of the bass as it is now apart from the new shiny saddles and the flat wound strings mentioned above. I have included one photo at the bottom of how the bridge is now.

This is the link for the thread I started on Basschat about this bass.

1823662655_Limelightsmallerpic.thumb.JPG.5a94a5a2e89fe9532720f756d39d71f4.JPG

Apologies for the quality, but here is a short video of its one and only outing.

It does exactly what it says on the headstock.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 16

When you say Jazz profile, is that just the nut width or is it thin front-to-back like a Jazz? (Contrast with the Lakland 44-64 where the “jazz taper” refers only to the 1.5” nut width and the rest of the neck dimensions are the same as the 1.625” and 1.75” variations.)

I assume this is a 10” fingerboard radius as limelight quoted me when I looked into a similar spec. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

When you say Jazz profile, is that just the nut width or is it thin front-to-back like a Jazz? (Contrast with the Lakland 44-64 where the “jazz taper” refers only to the 1.5” nut width and the rest of the neck dimensions are the same as the 1.625” and 1.75” variations.)

I assume this is a 10” fingerboard radius as limelight quoted me when I looked into a similar spec. 

I would go and get my measuring tools from the garage right now if it wasn't blowing a storm out there. I will update the spec tomorrow.

I would say that the neck is very slightly deeper than my other jazz basses, but not significantly so. Neck depth is something I'm quite sensitive to and I think it's very comfortable.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

The spec above has been amended to include most of what you’ve asked, although I can’t seem to find where I’ve hidden my radius gauges. One would have thought they would have been with the calipers, but not so unfortunately. I have a feeling I loaned them to my friend a while ago. I shall retrieve them forthwith 😀.

I’ve had a look back through my conversations with Mark and we didn’t discuss neck radii during the build process, so you could be right about it being 10”, but I will confirm for you in due course. It doesn’t feel much different to any of my other Jazz basses, but I’ll get back to you with a definitive answer 👍.

• Hamster locked this topic
  • Sibob unlocked this topic