Why become a member? ×

Told to buy new basses

SteveXFR

4 minutes ago, mr4stringz said:

Suggest alternatives to what they should be playing. Then what they should be wearing. Then what they should be driving. Then where they should be living. Then what they should do for a living. Hopefully they’ll get the message then. That’d be my reaction anyway...

I don't think it was intended in quite that way. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

The amp and cabs are no problem. There's a 12 band eq on the amp.

My SR300 has been properly set up with 130, 105, 85, 65 string and a suitably altered nut and truss rod adjustment. 

Ok, and you say it sounds pretty weak and the tone changes so much across the range of the bass - strange!.

Nothing extreme going on in the EQ?

Using any pedals?

What is the amp and cabs out of interest?

If I joined a theatre standard pro tribute band that was earning a decent living and I had a more than passing resemblance to whoever I was being passed off as a tribute to, I could maybe understand why they may lean towards suggesting I bought the correct instrument for that role.

If I was in a common or garden pub band and someone came up to me and said I needed a red Fodera P bass because they'd heard one and it sounded nice, I'd try to politely decline the suggestion.

I don't mind at all being told how to blend in with the sound of the group I am playing with, but to have bass choice requirements placed on me by other people, based on some wacky idea they have, rather than some wacky idea that I have, well.... no.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

Is it normal for other band members to tell you what bass you need to buy? 

How would you react to being told to buy a £2500 bass?

Simple, I'd ask to see the ten gigs within the next 90 days paying me 250 each, sign the contract, then take out a loan from them to buy the bass.

• Like 6

I was playing in a soul/Motown band and I played a precision.

We’re a funk band and I mentioned a guitarist we had at the time arrived with a skull and crossbones painted Jackson...looked a bit stupid, but soon after he was asked to leave as he didn’t chip in with costs and we couldn’t get on with him.

When I mentioned his guitar being a bit “off message” on here - I was roundly (and, in retrospect...rightly) told off.

I don’t know - some people are gear mad and want to be seen with certain gear - the Dingwall’s are very “in” with metal/rock players at the minute.

Every demo I hear of them sounds well off to me - it sounds like it’s being played down an old telephone line...

But, if you can afford the change and you fancy it - you feel as if the Ibanez 300 is letting you down; go for it.

Don’t skint yourself chasing Excalibur to suit someone else’s desired image though.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, bagsieblue said:

Ok, and you say it sounds pretty weak and the tone changes so much across the range of the bass - strange!.

Nothing extreme going on in the EQ?

Using any pedals?

What is the amp and cabs out of interest?

Eq is almost flat. Just a slight cut I the treble. Amp is a Trace Elliot 4001 with GP12SMX preamp and TE 4x10 and 1x15

I also have a Orange Terror 500 which has the same issues but with more dirt

28 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/184621401586617/permalink/3914248635290523/?sale_post_id=3914248635290523

this just came up - absolute steal at £240, bit rough but I bet it sounds well.

Wow that's worth it for the pups and preamp alone. Some one near Bristol is going to get a bargain. 

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

having read the thread... 

Did they sit you down and tell you "you need to buy this Dingwall" 
Or did one of you start a conversation about upgrading the bass you've got and the inner gear nerds in your band thought that some cool Dingwall would be a good idea? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

having read the thread... 

Did they sit you down and tell you "you need to buy this Dingwall" 
Or did one of you start a conversation about upgrading the bass you've got and the inner gear nerds in your band thought that some cool Dingwall would be a good idea? 

It kind of started from me saying I need to upgrade from my Ibanez and I was thinking of a Stingray 5 or Jazz 5 and then was told I'd need fan frets an multiscale and a Darkglass preamp so should get a Dingwall NG3. Maybe it was intended as friendly advice and I took it the wrong way.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

There's clearly an underlying story, or (much) more to this than the above. For example....type of band. Why would any band interfere into someone's musical preferences so deeply? Do they want you out but don't have the balls to tell you you can't play bass properly? 

If you get a 'normal' 5 string then you only have to down tune by a semitone to get to A# right...? So any 5 string would be good, the mid price ~£500 Ibanez ones are very well regarded in the metal world as I recall. If you want a fan fret they make them too....??

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars/ibanez-sr-multiscale-5-string-34-355-scale-bartolini-bh-2-p-u-deep-twilight

• Like 2

It depends what your situation is. I've taken a load of gigs with a busy tribute band that specifically want a Precision Bass for the look. If I didn't already have a couple, they have one I could use. The same with drums- they have a specific kit that they want using.

I don't mind anyone suggesting gear ideas with me, but I expect them to be putting plenty of decent gigs in my diary.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

It kind of started from me saying I need to upgrade from my Ibanez and I was thinking of a Stingray 5 or Jazz 5 and then was told I'd need fan frets an multiscale and a Darkglass preamp so should get a Dingwall NG3. Maybe it was intended as friendly advice and I took it the wrong way.

live near a shop with Dingwalls - go and try some. Try the stuff you are interested in too. decide for yourself after playing it. 
Maybe they are right, but if they aren't I doubt they will complain if you go "I tried them, the Stingray 5 was way better, then I found this one secondhand" or something. 
If they do have problem with that, then maybe they aren't that great ppl to be in a band with. 

• Like 1