Why become a member? ×

Why should every Bass Player worship Status Quo?

TJ1

54 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

Why do you lot keep feeding this troll? 

ignore him and he/she/they can go and bother somebody else with inane threads.

Thank you for your helpful comment. And many thanks for putting my astoundingly portentous thread back on top for the night.🤑

• Haha 1

I think Status Quo are irrelevant to a lot of bass players.
I love them and own every note they've recorded, but don't expect anyone else to.

Lancaster was a great bassist and locked in brilliantly at live shows with John Coghlan.
In the studio, a few parts were apparently redone by Francis Rossi.

Rhino is an excellent bass player too. He's done a lot of good things outside of Quo and he seems to be a really good all-rounder on bass.

Where Quo are an example to other musicians (besides their music) is their perseverance.

• Like 1

Early Quo were the first band I listened too where the I appreciated the bass driving the song along, mixed fairly high in the mix, IMO they went to pot with the Rocking All World the World album, a Pip Willams bought in the produce it like a 'pop' record, keyboards in and bass down in the mix, much as Rhino seems like a really nice guy and a good bass player Quo were never the same when Coughlan and especially Lancaster left, and then completely thrashed their credibility with the covers albums, the Quid Pro Quo and Heavy Traffic albums were quite good but by then  the damage was done 

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

And yet the only human in history that could make double denim work was Lemmy.

D_n37oZU8AAN5Of.jpg

Look - someone had to do it.

It's actually deeply disturbing how many different images come up if you Google 'Lemmy denim shorts'. I think I'm scarred for life now. As is my search history.

Edited by Bassassin
  • Haha 4

On 03/05/2021 at 10:52, oldslapper said:

I dislike playing with musicians who can’t “sit” in a simple groove without slowing down, speeding up, changing volume or getting distracted by the voice in their heads saying “shiny! shiny! shiny! play something shiny!” 

I think this wisdom may apply to some listeners as well.

For me what makes Status Quo unique in the Partheon of popular music history, is that, in their in their long and perilous musical voyage, they somehow made an epoch changing discovery: That is the importance of a  consistently repetitive underlying rhythm, whatever else is happening in the music. 

I will be probably be crucified by the upper echelons of the  Quo intelligensia for suggesting this, but the enclosed video is my favourite track. I believe it perfectly demonstrates how a totally consistent and repetitive bass line can completely cradle a song and performance.

Incidentally I am of the view that the lyrical quality of this song may put Mr Rossi in the same rock pavilion as the likes of Bob Dylan, John Lennon or Neil Young.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TJ1 said:

For me what makes Status Quo unique in the Partheon of popular music history, is that, in their in their long and perilous musical voyage, they somehow made an epoch changing discovery: That is the importance of a  consistently repetitive underlying rhythm, whatever else is happening in the music. 

I will be probably be crucified by the upper echelons of the  Quo intelligensia for suggesting this, but the enclosed video is my favourite track. I believe it perfectly demonstrates how a totally consistent and repetitive bass line can completely cradle a song and performance.

Incidentally I am of the view that the lyrical quality of this song may put Mr Rossi in the same rock pavilion as the likes of Bob Dylan, John Lennon or Neil Young.

not sure how serious you are, but I'll bite, Mr Rossi may have written many fine songs but this cover version wasn't one of them

1 hour ago, TJ1 said:

erm except this is the original 

• Thanks 1

Back in the early days , when there was no internet , music teachers were either non existent or prohibitively expensive , and the local WHSmiths did not stock any bass books , you learnt from records .

I owe a debt of gratitude to Alan Lancaster and the rest of the band , as I could play along to my brothers Quo records and feel like i was playing in a band , far better than just plunking away on my own .

I later progressed to the Adam Clayton school of bass playing , and 30 years later I still enjoy jamming along with both bands . ( but I don't worship them ) 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, martin8708 said:

I owe a debt of gratitude to Alan Lancaster and the rest of the band , as I could play along to my brothers Quo records and feel like i was playing in a band , far better than just plunking away on my own .

I later progressed to the Adam Clayton school of bass playing , and 30 years later I still enjoy jamming along with both bands . ( but I don't worship them ) 

I think that’s actually a fitting epitaph 

Quo invented a great style and made it their own. Maybe they should have thought twice about some of the songs they covered in later years. Anyway, while I prefer the Quo of the 70's, I'll happily applaud any band that is still packing them in 50 years later.

We supported them a few times in the early 70's and one gig was the Winter Gardens Pavilion, Weston-Super-Mare. The dressing room was in a different wing of the building, a long way from the stage, must have been about 100 yds around all the corridors, when they started up we had to shout to be heard!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TJ1 said:

That is the importance of a  consistently repetitive underlying rhythm, whatever else is happening in the music. 

Bugger me. I always wondered who and when invented the idea of a consistently repetitive underlying rhythm.

Now I know.

14 hours ago, chris_b said:

Maybe they should have thought twice about some of the songs they covered in later years.

I would refer at this point to the great Michael Caine, when asked what he thought about the truly terrible Jaws: The Revenge in which he starred:

"I've never seen the film, but I've seen the house it bought for my daughter..."

Also, when pressed as to why he'd taken the job in the first place, he said

"I got a copy of the script, and the first page said 'Act 1, Scene 1; A beach in the Bahamas', so I said 'When do we start?'" 😁

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, chris_b said:

Quo invented a great style and made it their own.

Technically they just copied the demo of Down The Dustpipe that The Man Band recorded (I mention this in an earlier post). However, they did make it their sound by sticking to the shuffle formula. 

20 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Technically they just copied the demo of Down The Dustpipe that The Man Band recorded (I mention this in an earlier post). However, they did make it their sound by sticking to the shuffle formula. 

I've found what claims to be the original of Down The Dustpipe, by an Australian band called The Mint. It's the same song but is a very cheesy sing-a-long down the pub arrangement. Nothing like the Quo's turbo charged version and nothing like Quo's "sound".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSvp2KHol00

• Thanks 1