Why become a member? ×

Is this enough to prevent smoke, sparks and tears?

Silky999

The band are due to play at a wedding in a marquee in July where the power will be from a generator. The wedding is on their land and they are doing it themselves hiring a marquee etc. I have suggested to the happy couple that they hire in a decent silenced diesel one with a distributor box. In case they decide to go with a couple of petrol driven Hondas, will a couple of APC Line R 1250i automatic voltage regulators/line conditioners be enough to protect our amps and mixer from harm?  They are supposed to even out any over or under voltage plus surge protection but are not a UPS. They are rated at 1250va each and there will be 2 guitar amps, bass amp, XR18 & laptop  and 3 pedal boards split between them. Our lights I’m happy to be just off a normal surge protector. Not playing is not an option as the couple have already been let down by another band and like many others have postponed their day a couple of times. Off the back of this I have actually amended our booking form to ask about and stipulate minimum power requirements as part of the hire agreement but cannot apply this retrospectively to this gig.

I’m less worried about surges and more about voltage sagging. All our kit is insured under a band policy which also gives us PLI but I really don’t want the hassle of having to replace kit if the worst happens. 

Do the APCs sound enough or is there anything else I need to do?91C07A69-D973-4B47-9FE9-707ED41DC2E0.thumb.jpeg.012518599dbcd444404a24fefc584496.jpeg

Edited by Silky999

1 hour ago, agedhorse said:

If they use the Honda inverter style generators and take them out of Eco mode, they have even more effective voltage regulation built into the generator's control system. They are also VERY quiet.

I had read that the new generators are much better than the older versions. Hopefully I’m just fretting over nothing.

• Like 1