Why become a member? ×

Flatwound String Height

garyt

I just changed strings on my Stingray V for a set of Rotosound flats .  I’ve never tried flats before so am a complete novice, however when trying to set up, the lowest string height I can get is 2.75mm on the G, and 3mm on the low B.  This is with the G and B string bridge saddles wound right down.  Neck relief is 0.25mm at the 7th fret.   All strings appear to be sitting in the nut and bridge correctly, and I have pushed the strings down to check there is no movement.  
Is this normal?  Why should flats affect string height? 

Because flats are higher tension than rounds. Roto flats are the highest tension strings of all flats.

Tension and guage can affect string height. However, your action (string height) is a personal preference. There is no right or wrong string height.

The higher the tension, the lower the string height can go without fret buzz.

• Like 1

Try tightening the truss rod a quarter turn - any better at all? 

Neck should (!) now be nearly straight... check the neck bolts are not loose.

If the action is still too high, ) you will need a small shim in the neck pocket to tilt the neck back a little bit.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bigguy2017 said:

Try tightening the truss rod a quarter turn - any better at all? 

Neck should (!) now be nearly straight... check the neck bolts are not loose.

If the action is still too high, ) you will need a small shim in the neck pocket to tilt the neck back a little bit.

Thanks - neck bolts are tight.  I did have to tighten the truss rod, and noticed I will need to do this again as the neck is more concave after settling overnight. 
I also had to make some major adjustments to the intonation.

The string height is playable, but just wondered why flats would prevent them going any lower.  If I had to resort to neck shims, I’d just go back to rounds. 

9 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Because flats are higher tension than rounds. Roto flats are the highest tension strings of all flats.

Tension and guage can affect string height. However, your action (string height) is a personal preference. There is no right or wrong string height.

The higher the tension, the lower the string height can go without fret buzz.

Thanks - the string height is playable, but is higher by default than rounds so just wondering if this was common.  
There is no fret buzz but I can’t get the strings any lower as the bridge saddles are at their lowest setting.   I don’t think 2.75mm is too high, just find it odd, that it’s the lowest they can go.