Why become a member? ×

What would you do...?

uk_lefty

10 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I just fear being another "three middle aged blokes and a girl singer do random songs off Radio 2" which you see everywhere and are usually disappointing. Whereas "three middle aged blokes dressed like Miami Vice with an awesome girl singer play 80s sing and dance along songs" is a much more appealing proposition for an audience and for someone booking gigs. That's my view at least. 

And mine. I would cross the county to see the latter band. I wouldn't cross the road to see the former. 

• Like 2

As a couple of others have mentioned already, the answer to your problems is forget about this project being a democracy. The song choices should have a degree of democracy in their selection, but if it's an 80's band you want, it needs taking by the horns. You're either an 80's band or you're not.

I've been part of an 80's band for years and many very decent songs have been rejected because they were released months into the 90's or at the end of the 70's, but thats the rules. Don't kid yourself that you'll need anything less that a very competent guitarist if you're looking at 'Beat It', 'Jump', 'The Final Countdown' etc.

• Like 3

The point at which the words 'this is not a democracy' emanate from a band members mouth would be the point at which I intimate that if that is indeed the case, then I'd better be getting paid hourly for my time, signed contract, all gig/practice expenses covered, and I certainly won't be providing any gear beyond my bass and cables.  And then I'd pack up my stuff and leave.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, linear said:

The point at which the words 'this is not a democracy' emanate from a band members mouth would be the point at which I intimate that if that is indeed the case, then I'd better be getting paid hourly for my time, signed contract, all gig/practice expenses covered, and I certainly won't be providing any gear beyond my bass and cables.  And then I'd pack up my stuff and leave.

Good point. I wouldn't want to rub people up the wrong way. It should all be fun, exciting to see what we can make next, not a (very low paid) additional job. 

Edited by uk_lefty

5 hours ago, linear said:

This will probably sound a bit odd as it flies in the face of what I said previously, but a truly democratic band can work, however, I don’t think it’s going to in this case. The opinion you’ve offered here is precisely the reason why some start up’s fail. You get five of them in a room and it has the ability to get nothing done whatsoever.

My 80’s band is viewed by all as the singers as he started it and very successful it’s been too. He has the final say in everything from song choices to clothing to set structure. That doesn’t render the rest of us dumb and unable to put any opinions forward, it just means there is someone there to steer it all in the right direction. We’ve just been through a set overhaul ready for our first gigs for over a year and not a word was said. A new batch of songs were received, learnt and rehearsed for the first time last week and that was with a new (to the band) co-lead vocal. Not even a glimmer of ego with any of it and that’s how it should be.

Current dilemma - we took out Rio as it’s been in the set for as long as I can remember. We do feel however, that an 80’s band should have at least one Duran Duran song in the set. We’ve put suggestions forward and to be fair, there’s limited list of DD hits in the 80’s, but he’ll let us know what we’re learning in due course - he’s the one who has to sing it after all. I would personally prefer not to do Planet Earth, but if that’s the choice, I’ll suck it up. It’s looking like ‘Save A Prayer’ or ‘Girls on Film’ at the moment 😜.

• Like 2

My 2ps worth. If you recruited for and will be promoting yourself as an 80’s band then play just 80’s music. That’s  what people coming to see you will want to hear.  

I also think if you stick to a simple formula and do it well then the band has a good chance of being successful.

I agree with the previous comments there is nothing more tragic than a random covers band trying to master every genre and era.

On a personal note  I would rather hear a band playing music I loathe very well than the odd song I like played badly.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

The 80s is a very broad church. Are you going to consider all of it from New Romantic/synth pop through jangly guitar bands, goth and hair metal to acid house?

We will consider what fits the vocal range of the singer and the construction of the set list. Agreed, there's a huge range of stuff to choose from.

8 hours ago, linear said:

Seems pretty standard to me.

7 hours ago, BigRedX said:

The 80s is a very broad church. Are you going to consider all of it from New Romantic/synth pop through jangly guitar bands, goth and hair metal to acid house?

We're an 80s band and we hit the same problem. We narrowed it down to everyone's general preferences for indie and post-punk stuff, so no Bananarama, Bucks Fizz or general cheesy pop. That has meant omitting some songs that a few of us like, but it does ensure that the set lists hang together fairly well.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

We're an 80s band and we hit the same problem. We narrowed it down to everyone's general preferences for indie and post-punk stuff, so no Bananarama, Bucks Fizz or general cheesy pop. That has meant omitting some songs that a few of us like, but it does ensure that the set lists hang together fairly well.

This is exactly what I am aiming for in terms of band ethos, though a different cut of tunes. I admire your bands ability to work like this! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

Funny you should mention Bananarama. One of the new songs we've just added is this version of Venus. We rehearsed it for the first time last week and it sounds great. If you're playing 2 hours of 80's tunes, you have to have a bit of cheese in there. It never ceases to amaze me what goes down well. We've played theatres up and down the country. Everyone goes nuts for 'Real Gone Kid', pretty much anything by Wham, 'Never Gonna Give You Up', 'Karma Chameleon' etc etc....

25 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

If you're playing 2 hours of 80's tunes, you have to have a bit of cheese in there. It never ceases to amaze me what goes down well..

True enough - we got a bit of stick for not playing Suffragette City at our last gig, even though it's hardly an eighties staple. I don't doubt we'll have to introduce some selections from the cheeseboard at some stage, but we're keen to be seen more as primarily a post-punk indie outfit rather than general 80s pop, if that makes sense. We already have Don't You Want Me on the go and we know we'll have to include a good sprinkling of floor-fillers if we're going to be asked back anywhere. 

So far, the balance seems about right, but I expect it'll evolve over time.

• Like 1

Some while back I was asked 'sort out music' for a local show (which shall remain anon) - I inherited four or five people who all had their own (& vastly differing ideas) about what the public wanted - I'm a reggae & soul man, but I knew that would go down like a sack of shite with a MOR largely white audience. Fortunately someone had Hawkwinds number & they went down a storm. (there's a lesson in there, somewhere, I think).

😎

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

If you're going to be an "80s band", as I would understand it,  with popular appeal to dear old Joe and Jo Public, its the way of the world that you'll have to have a good generous slice of "cheese" on the table...

Indeed.. I never liked any of the massive 80’s bands. I just found Wham, Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran etc to be ridiculous. A slightly podgy bloke and his mates from Essex or whatever dressed up like a wardrobe malfunction on the set of Dynasty WTF was that all about? Yet they certainly had a winning formula and some catchy songs that are still loved today so what do I know.

I think the consensus seems to be that a ragtag of songs from different time periods or even the same time period: would be less attractive than an identifiable 1980's concept.

But I refer you my previous post where I stated that it would be good idea for your band's morale to include one 'stand out- off the wall' song that is totally unlike the 1980's - possibly more in line with age group of any your younger members - and that it trully democratically selected. Without knowing you or your band's background I do believe that I am broadly correct on this point.

BTW You should be aware that I have provided 'Gold Standard' advice to many eminent people and institutions - including would believe to a former President of the USA.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

Just recruit a 5th member (eg, keyboard? 2nd guitar?) then insist everyone votes on song choices (no abstaining). No more tied votes and indecision going forwards.

Just make sure you get someone who agrees with you on all matters !.... ;)

When I was chairman I never knew if I should adopt the approach of never voting, or voting then also having a casting vote if needs be. Generally if there's votes (or just stuff....) where the band is split, its the beginning of the end though....