Why become a member? ×

Best short scale for beginner child?

NHM

Hi all
My drummer chum wants to get his young son started on bass (evidence of evolution at work!) and has asked for a recommendation for a cheap short scale.
Any advice from your bountiful experiences?
GAK has the Talman and Bronco which both look good for just over £150, but are there others to consider? And do you think it is better to start with flats rather than rounds?

• Haha 1

Have a look at the Ibanez Mikro bass range. They are much better ergonomically than those you have mentioned in my experience. The Mikros are short scale, lightweight with slim necks and a very comfortable body profile.

Rounds are usually much easier to play because most flats (TI flats ££££ excluded) are higher tension and tougher for beginners. Just about every new bass will be supplied with an adequate set of roundwounds on it already to go.

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 3

If you can find one, the Tanglewood Elfin EB-18 is a great little bass. Short scale mini Precision style, no longer made but s/h around £75. I do believe Harley Benton do a similar one as well. ( You don’t mention the age of the child, which will affect what’s best too of course.) The Ibanez mentioned above is also a good call.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Squier do a mini precision , and flats are smoother, which might be better 🙂

The problem with a single pickup P with flats isn't a particularly versatile set up. Okay if you want to play James Jamerson (not a bad thing of course) and other classics but a PJ set up with brighter sounding rounds might inspire a beginner a little more.

16 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

Okay if you want to play James Jamerson

You can play more than James jamerson on a P bass, and I recommended flats because they are softer on young fingers 

Edited by Reggaebass

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

The problem with a single pickup P with flats isn't a particularly versatile set up.

1 hour ago, hooky_lowdown said:

When does a child need versatility? Something they like the look of, and is easy, and fun to play is all that's required.

...and there are controls on amps nowadays...😀😀

• Like 1

Flats may be higher tension, gauge for gauge, than r5ounds, but less likely to cause sore fingers to a youngster and put them off. A light set of flats and low action should ensure that won't be an issue.

Edited by Dan Dare

As he is a kid and they can be a tad fickle, I would go for the Harley Benton short scale. I had one a few years back and it was great for the price. Being a HB you might need to do a set up but that can be true of most cheap basses. They are a fun little bass. (I`m talking myself into buying one!)

At about £80 ish delivered to your door at least if junior decides it not for him then no big loss.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbp90bk_shortscale_ebass.htm

If you want to go more upmarket, get a Ibby Micro or a Mini P bass.

• Like 1

You should get yourself - err, "the young person" - one of those ultra short scale Fingy Basses - Wing Bass alike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FingyBass-Travel-Bass-Electric-Guitar-by-MihaDo-/293238238120

Image 1 - FingyBass Travel Bass Electric Guitar by MihaDo

A set of headphones and you can noodle in front of the telly all night long.

Alternatively you could try to buy one of Jezza's ( @Jabba_the_gut) amazing creations - good luck with that though.

4 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

As he is a kid and they can be a tad fickle, I would go for the Harley Benton short scale. I had one a few years back and it was great for the price. Being a HB you might need to do a set up but that can be true of most cheap basses. They are a fun little bass. (I`m talking myself into buying one!)

At about £80 ish delivered to your door at least if junior decides it not for him then no big loss.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbp90bk_shortscale_ebass.htm

If you want to go more upmarket, get a Ibby Micro or a Mini P bass.

That’s a great little bass jezza, I wouldn’t mind one of those myself 🙂

4 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

When does a child need versatility? Something they like the look of, and is easy, and fun to play is all that's required.

I own a quite a few P's including a CS Pino loaded with TI flats and as much as I love them I still wouldn't recommend a P with flats as a first bass. I'll get my coat. 🤐

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

I own a quite a few P's including a CS Pino loaded with TI flats and as much as I love them I still wouldn't recommend a P with flats as a first bass. I'll get my coat. 🤐

It's not a first bass thread. It's a bass for a child.

For me the Harley Benton shortie mentioned above or, depending on the kid’s age a Danelectro Longhorn can be picked up cheap enough if you scout about. They’re stupidly light and offer a capable and non-cumbersome starting point. Seems to be fine for getting my 9 year old comfortable to the overall ‘feel’ of a bass anyhoo.

Mmm...
I have been on the lookout for a Badtz Marou bass . Onky because it's odd abd collectible . One has come up for sale on fleabay . £150, but open to offers. Just listed today . 
It's good for metal 😼

No harm in looking . I'm more into synths these days or I'd probably had made an offer ..