Why become a member? ×

Do you prefer the sound of plucking or rolling?

TJ1

That's not in breadmaking.

Although I find rolling the finger on the string makes it easier to mute the above string and gives a deeper thump, I find the action of plucking produces a slightly more varied sound.

Any thoughts?

14 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

Now I'm confused.

You'll have to explain what you mean.

That is whether rolling the finger across the string or plucking from underneath produces a better sound? I am undecided.

If you think of your fingers as legs and the strings as a treadmill, then “rolling them across” the top of the string is more “efficient “ for volume, tone and speed control. But whatever works for you, what do you prefer?

2 hours ago, TJ1 said:

That is whether rolling the finger across the string or plucking from underneath produces a better sound? I am undecided.

If you're somehow 'plucking from underneath' (and not as a part of slap and pop technique) then I'd suggest you are using a very unusual technique akin to fingerpicking on the guitar, which most bass players wouldn't recognise. Please tell us more !   😮

Edited by musicbassman

3 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

If you're somehow 'plucking from underneath' (and not as a part of slap and pop technique) then I'd suggest you are using a very unusual technique which most bass players wouldn't recognise. Please tell us more !   😮

My main in experience is on the guitar so thats how I started off on the bass, until I learnt from various Youtube videos that this was incorrect both in terms speed, comfort and control

But it seems that flicking the string upwards from underneath produces a somewhat richer or cleaner sound, but maybe I've doing something wrong with the standard technique.

22 minutes ago, TJ1 said:

My main in experience is on the guitar so thats how I started off on the bass, until I learnt from various Youtube videos that this was incorrect both in terms speed, comfort and control

But it seems that flicking the string upwards from underneath produces a somewhat richer or cleaner sound, but maybe I've doing something wrong with the standard technique.

Why aren't you bowing like everyone else..? -_-

xD :P

• Haha 2