Why become a member? ×

Ska/Reggae/Dub

SumOne

A collection of Ska/Reggae/Dub Bass playing guides. 

Kicking off with the excellent Reggae Bass hub channel from@donstrumental that you should all subscribe to. 

(I hope none of the owners of these videos mind them being posted here - I assume it's okay as it's promoting your content but give a shout if not). 

20 Reggae Basslines Medley:

Creating Reggae Basslines Studio One style:

20 Studio One Reggae Basslines you should know:

Play Reggae Bass like Flabba Holt:

How to play Reggae Bass like Robbie Shakespeare:

How to play Reggae Bass like Aston Familyman Barrett:

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 2

Don Chandler is the best out there IMO, and so is Jamaican bassist Glen Browne , has a channel, he’s worked with lots of top reggae bands over the years , he’s the bass player for Tarrus Riley, the Browne family are are all in the music industry, very chilled and informative lessons 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Don Chandler is the best out there IMO, and so is Jamaican bassist Glen Browne , has a channel, he’s worked with lots of top reggae bands over the years , he’s the bass player for Tarrus Riley, the Browne family are are all in the music industry, very chilled and informative lessons 

Hi @Reggaebass I recently saw a live lesson with Don Chandler and it was awesome and so informative.  He really is the best Reggae teacher that I have seen on YouTube. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greghagger said:

Hi @Reggaebass I recently saw a live lesson with Don Chandler and it was awesome and so informative.  He really is the best Reggae teacher that I have seen on YouTube. 

That’s cool Greg, yeah I’d say he’s the best reggae teacher out there , he’s got a lot of experience 🙂

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Like 1

This Ed Friedland Reggae Bass book is a pretty good starting point. Notation & tabs and 47 tracks (lots are just a couple of bars though) with some history for each style going chronologically Ska-Rocksteady-Reggae-Dub-Modern Ska-Dancehall. 

It's fairly thin at 30 pages and covers 50 years of music development so there's nothing in-depth, Dub is mentioned but there are no play-along Dub tracks. Also, all tracks are 'in the style of..... ' I presume they don't have the licenses for the originals. 

Screenshot_20210506-092528_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Here are the tracks as a Spotify playlist: 

Edited by SumOne
Added Spotify link
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve got that, I must dig it out later, I bought it and never really read it 👍

It's alright, but is basic overview stuff. Ideally it would have a lot more content and would have the original tunes rather than 'in the style of'', but I find it convenient to have it as one album collection of tracks to play along to with their corresponding notation all in one book - otherwise I tend to not read notation much so I find it good practice for that.  

Those Carlton Barrett drum tracks are great. I've dusted off the Laptop to get back into production a bit having been inspired by the DM Khan videos, Alpha Steppa does some decent tutorials too. Straight into it with no mucking about. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...