Why become a member? ×

Compressor misconceptions

DiMarco

5 minutes ago, krispn said:

https://origineffects.com/artists/

This will get you started...

Excellent and a seriously long list! Are they actually live users on pedal boards or just endorses though? 

The gear rig videos you recommended checking out does look like a very good shout and not just for compression. 

Edited by Al Krow

You’d have to contact each one personally via their Instagram or Twitter accounts because I couldn’t say. I have seen quite a few of the guys with pedal board images with the origin kit in situ.

If you’re generally interested though I’m sure you can go and look it up with a cunningly constructed google search. Hers one to get you started you heard of Pino Palladino?

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/pino-palladinos-2019-board.1471058/

@Al Krow it wouldn’t matter how many examples I or anyone gave, for example Marcus Miller - as @peteb said you would find one who may not on a solitary gig and use as justification.

@krispn nails it - a lot of the big touring musicians have bare stages so everything is off stage, older school someone is operating the pedals for them, lots will be midi sync’d and they will be playing to triggers, some will be playing to possibly a bass overlay (Dusty Hill).

Add to the fact the venue PA and sound person is likely to be phenomenal it’s a whole different kettle of fish.

Probably another reason the threads like this details is exactly what people are trying to counteract that Pete mentions. For peeps out there starting out or wanting info, trying to Wade through the chaff can be confusing, hence the reason people take the time to address the balance.

Copy pasting opinions taken out of context from others, steadfastly sticking a view besides a body proof to the contrary based on an agreement to it somewhere  found as justification does not help.

Endless clips, pictures, settings etc. Asked for from other people, yet when asked to contribute for others in a similar vein - a flat refusal because 3 clips were posted the other day on another thread (or possibly a plethora over the years?!)

Questions about workings and intimate uses gear which don’t involve reeling off the spec sheet are ignored/washed over. Surely the whole part of this community is to share that information. Personally I would only ask a question knowing that in a similar circumstance about something I knew, I would take the time and give due diligence to answer back to someone who deserves it.

If you really don’t think a PB compressor is necessary (which is totally fine) actually what you need to do is know a bit about compression and how to use it, to know a bit about soundboards and mixing and then discuss it backwards, it’s just lame saying ‘Ha, world class bassist X doesn’t use one’

Well you know what, he/she are world class, they will have their sound nailed to the nth degree - for someone of limited ability like me not working with a world class team and sound systems etc. Actually it could just help to provide a pleasurable audio experience around the duff notes and dodgy singing.

it’s cold outside, let’s hope you’ve come in.....

I do love a good compression thread. Apart from the obvious trolling, some excellent contributions here. 

My first experience was a button on a Carlsboro head way back when. I pressed it my bass lost everything I liked so I turned it off and swore off compression for life. 

Waded through a couple of threads on Basschat many years later and decided to investigate further. 

My advice is to try as many pedals as you can, learn, and I mean really learn what is happening with each of the settings, try it first last and in the middle, before and after different effects until you find what works for you. 

I now own several compressors and limiters and have at least a rudimentary understanding of how they work. 

It's like everything in life, you have to put the work in. 

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I do love a good compression thread. Apart from the obvious trolling, some excellent contributions here. 

My first experience was a button on a Carlsboro head way back when. I pressed it my bass lost everything I liked so I turned it off and swore off compression for life. 

Waded through a couple of threads on Basschat many years later and decided to investigate further. 

My advice is to try as many pedals as you can, learn, and I mean really learn what is happening with each of the settings, try it first last and in the middle, before and after different effects until you find what works for you. 

I now own several compressors and limiters and have at least a rudimentary understanding of how they work. 

It's like everything in life, you have to put the work in. 

That’s a great point - some pedals/gear you get instantly, some take a long time to get to grips with the intricacies of its ability to get right for you.

I am still learning about my amp all the time as I dial in different bits 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happy Jack said:

In the time I've spent reading through these five pages about how little difference compression makes to the audience, I could have learned a new song.

Just saying ...

True but it would have sounded sh1te if you couldn't compress your bass properly 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

In the time I've spent reading through these five pages about how little difference compression makes to the audience, I could have learned a new song.

Just saying ...

Time I have spent reading basschat I could probably have written a novel, won the Nobel peace prize or invented something and retired living the high life.

Fortunately I multi task and do it mainly whilst on the throne so it’s not completely dead time

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Do you still believe that to be the case? :lol:

I am now very certain there are. Holy hell! Trying to reason will be useless so I have kept quiet in the thread for a while. Some people know how to use a compressor, a lot of people do not.

Some minds will never open.

It is what it is.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, krispn said:

but it highlights a good point. 

Which would be? 

Perhaps they don't need something that can be used for every genre. But something like an overdrive with several usable sounds could be a more inspiring choice. 

Or maybe they're a huge Tool fan, in which case your facetious flanger could be perfect. 

Point being, instead of suggesting the pedal for the average player, perhaps "It depends" is the shortest route to the best answer. 

31 minutes ago, BadHands said:

Which would be? 

Perhaps they don't need something that can be used for every genre. But something like an overdrive with several usable sounds could be a more inspiring choice. 

Or maybe they're a huge Tool fan, in which case your facetious flanger could be perfect. 

Point being, instead of suggesting the pedal for the average player, perhaps "It depends" is the shortest route to the best answer. 

Or like I said compression alongside a sound modulator/overdrive/distortion etc

I can’t remember if it was Guy Pratt or another celeb bassist who lost the will to live and gave up on Basschat after a previously  heated debate on here about compressors. I recall several weekend warriors telling a pro at the top of his game that he was doing it wrong.

Why is the use of an effects pedal so contentious?

perhap we should stick to less controversial issues like religion, politics or pick V fingers.

• Like 3

The compressor debate comes around like the falling of leaves in Autumn. It has a certain predictability. 

It's because few compressors seem at first to do very much, and folk think it's an effect pedal when it's not really. 

I was just as guilty once, so don't want to name call those still in that state. 

The real point is no one makes us use compression into our amps if we don't want to. But work a big stage or go into a studio and you will have it applied like it or not. 

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, lonestar said:

I can’t remember if it was Guy Pratt or another celeb bassist who lost the will to live and gave up on Basschat after a previously  heated debate on here about compressors. I recall several weekend warriors telling a pro at the top of his game that he was doing it wrong.

Why is the use of an effects pedal so contentious?

perhap we should stick to less controversial issues like religion, politics or pick V fingers.

I have witnessed a warrior take on Frank Appleton CEO and founder of FEA labs compressors that truly was 🤦🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️

1 minute ago, Cuzzie said:

I have witnessed a warrior take on Frank Appleton CEO and founder of FEA labs compressors that truly was 🤦🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️

I remember some bright spark telling us all some intimate details of Ashdown's business, only to be utterly humiliated by a complete contradiction from the company's BC account. 

Never even apologised for making the stuff up and passing it off as factual. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I remember some bright spark telling us all some intimate details of Ashdown's business, only to be utterly humiliated by a complete contradiction from the company's BC account. 

Never even apologised for making the stuff up and passing it off as factual. 

Yep - or lecture a speaker manufacturer on cone excursion, dynamics, you name it because they did A-level physics many moons ago.......

The funniest is hearing from folk on BC who have comparatively little experience of playing live, lecturing others on what they should do when playing to a live audience and also what spares they need to be taking to gigs. Hilarious.

37 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The funniest is hearing from folk on BC who have comparatively little experience of playing live, lecturing others on what they should do when playing to a live audience and also what spares they need to be taking to gigs. Hilarious.

Can we ask how many gigs you have done, how many were more than 50 miles from your front door, what's the biggest audience you've played to and what level of musicians you have gigged with (have any of them toured / played with anyone famous, had a record contact, etc)??

15 hours ago, Al Krow said:

The question was a genuine one, it would be interesting / useful to know which world class bassists have pedal board comps for live use and which don't. 

I don't doubt it's a genuine question but useful how? Would you change your opinion because a world class pro uses a comp live? How many WCP's need to be confirmed comp users before the tide turns? The list of Origin players suggest some do? It echos what was mentioned earlier on this tread. You ask a question, you get some examples but the question alters a little... like the question above. List of players posted including the Killers bassist so then the question evolves... we get the question below.

15 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Excellent and a seriously long list! Are they actually live users on pedal boards or just endorses though?

How'd you get on with your search into who uses live and who's just an endorsee? Did you go and have a look? You have started a few threads about compression so you surely must have a pretty solid opinion either way to either confirm or deny the hypothesis or be moved enough to try it in your own experiment live if you really are interested.

I will mention this again...

You have access to the gear to do this on/off experiment for yourself... with your band... with your gear... at the venues where it will (or will not) make a difference to your sound. I was re-listening to footage from The Century Club gigs on the Sector thread. Why not bring a comp next time you play there when the back line is all taken care of or BoxPark  - venues you already have footage from where you can compare if it works for you.

If you are genuinely interested you would have used this stuff for yourself ages ago and decided if it was worth using on a regular basis. How many more compression threads and polls do you need to start before you will try it?

The main thing I've picked up form so many compressor threads and in practice is that it's a personal feel thing as much as a heard experience. If that isn't important to you than cool but sh*t or get off the pot :)

Here's another video to further prove a point. Feel free to re-word the question after viewing...

I’ve played a few gig and my advice to a new aspiring and seasoned pro would be much the same.  “You know the tunes, watch thedrummer,  relax and keep your head in the game” be that with or without pedals

Edited by krispn
comment wasn’t relevant.
  • Like 4