Why become a member? ×

Tyrolean Tuning Machine Issue

I have this old DB from the sixties(ish!). I love playing it. Had a new fb fitted...fast and slick. The current issue is the vibration noise coming from the tuning machines. I have tightened all the screws and bolts and packed the headstock with foam. Still vibrating noise. Looked into replacement (ouch). Anyone solved this problem?

My other older (and better quality) bass is as stable as and ....not a peep. Should I dismantle and refit the tuning machines? Or accept that old basses can be noisy and if you don’t get creaks from one part you get them from another.

If this noise wasn’t heard with the old f/b then the bass may still be settling in with this new one....the tuners may be vibrating in ‘sympathy’ with one of the strings not quite sitting in the nut comfortably .....but if this is a ‘new’ noise then another setup may be needed?

13 hours ago, mybass said:

If this noise wasn’t heard with the old f/b then the bass may still be settling in with this new one....the tuners may be vibrating in ‘sympathy’ with one of the strings not quite sitting in the nut comfortably .....but if this is a ‘new’ noise then another setup may be needed?

I don’t think it’s a well built instrument.....can’t remember exactly but I think there was always noises here and there that could be addressed. This one appears to come from the tuning machines or pegs and it’s persistent. I’ve tried everything except disassemble the tuners....this might make it worse

2 hours ago, lowlandtrees said:

I don’t think it’s a well built instrument.....can’t remember exactly but I think there was always noises here and there that could be addressed. This one appears to come from the tuning machines or pegs and it’s persistent. I’ve tried everything except disassemble the tuners....this might make it worse

I guess there could be a wooden tuner peg that has worn a bit thinner than the hole it sits through.....possible to extract it and (get someone else to) glue a thin veneer around it....good luck.

1 hour ago, Beer of the Bass said:

Are they the wood peg variety? I'm afraid I don't have any obvious solutions, but I agree those are a bit of a bugger and I've had rattles from mine from time to time. I think as things wear, all the parts don't fit together as well as they would have done new.

Yes wood peg. I have a feeling that the should be left alone but am tempted to take them out. I think mybass is right (get someone else to do it) but just had a big bill for my other bass.