Why become a member? ×

51 P Bass

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174748193568?hash=item28afcdd320:g:3HsAAOSwTF1gh90l

This is a curious listing. The seller seems to sell loads of vintage gear - including has recently sold a set of tuners for over a grand, and a Beatles first pressing for a similar amount. The bass itself looks ancient - I particularly enjoy the home made contouring :) The penciled in dates at the neck pocket and heel seem to have held up rather well in comparison to the rest of the instrument...

Edited by Welshbassist
spelling

Given that the ad is for the body only, the headstock shape is irrelevant. H appears to have used it to make a bitsa. Fair enough and he isn't trying to claim the whole bass is a '51.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Given that the ad is for the body only, the headstock shape is irrelevant. H appears to have used it to make a bitsa. Fair enough and he isn't trying to claim the whole bass is a '51.

But he’s marked the neck as 1951 in pencil on the bottom?

5 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

But he’s marked the neck as 1951 in pencil on the bottom?

He has indeed and that is a valid criticism. I'm sure it's not from 1951 and I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft sterilised barge pole. However, it doesn't alter the fact that, as the neck is not being sold, talk of the headstock being the wrong shape is a bit pointless.

Edited by Dan Dare

Strangely enough upon first viewing I hadn't noticed it was only the body for sale. Not to say the seller hasn't made that clear I just hope any bidders don't make the same mistake. It just struck me as an usual example of a vintage guitar particularly given the contouring work and the low bids so far. Full disclosure I know absolutely nothing of 50s basses to say if this it legit or not. Was just curious about other opinions!

The main thing I wanted to know was if it was normal for these basses to have pencilled in dates? I know 60s ones seem to have have ink ones which tend to be quite worn out. These strike me as quite clear. Then again if I was trying to pass something off as older than it really is I would at least smudge it a bit. Not casting doubt just genuinely curious 

21 hours ago, Welshbassist said:

Strangely enough upon first viewing I hadn't noticed it was only the body for sale. Not to say the seller hasn't made that clear I just hope any bidders don't make the same mistake. It just struck me as an usual example of a vintage guitar particularly given the contouring work and the low bids so far. Full disclosure I know absolutely nothing of 50s basses to say if this it legit or not. Was just curious about other opinions!

The main thing I wanted to know was if it was normal for these basses to have pencilled in dates? I know 60s ones seem to have have ink ones which tend to be quite worn out. These strike me as quite clear. Then again if I was trying to pass something off as older than it really is I would at least smudge it a bit. Not casting doubt just genuinely curious 

I read somewhere that workers at the Fender factory originally wrote dates on the necks/neck pockets of instruments. That was replaced with rubber stamping them when a buyer found a rude message written on one.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

He has indeed and that is a valid criticism. I'm sure it's not from 1951 and I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft sterilised barge pole. However, it doesn't alter the fact that, as the neck is not being sold, talk of the headstock being the wrong shape is a bit pointless.

I didn’t read the Ad.