Why become a member? ×

Spice Girls...Stop

'Stop' by the Spice Girls just came on the radio.  I asked my wife if she remembered when they did this at the Brit Awards...I remember All Saints being on just before them and how they were just this uncoordinated mess, then the Spice Girls followed, perfect choreography.

Despite my punky/metal roots, I'd be stupid not to recognise this as being a perfect slab of pop. Forget Geri's Union Jack teatowel dress from the previous year, this, my friends, is THE definitive performance.  

23 years ago.  Blimey.

• Like 3

Just now, Chiliwailer said:

Once poured tomato juice over a Spice Girls breasts in a hotel room.

that’s all I have to say about that. 😂

I’m the father of one of the spice girls children. Last I’ll say on the matter.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chris2112 said:

It's an absolute load of crap that should be left in the dustbin of history and that's about it. 

Nope, disagree - one of the few recent British acts to make a big deal globally. 

Yes manufactured, yes well marketed, yes a bit crass. But absolutely did no harm for future generations of British artists in terms of acceptance (post stones/Beatles).

I’d also say they had a real part to play in feminist momentum. 

Anyhow, I thought this particular track was a nice homage to the stax/Motown era and was harmless enough.

I didn’t enjoy playing it much, but we played it at a few shows and the audience loved it and danced along.

• Like 1

I seem to remember they claimed to be the first successful all female vocal group.

Personally, I preferred The Andrews Sisters, The Shangri Las and En Vogue. Especially En Vogue, who had hits just a couple of years before the Spice Girls but everyone seemed to forget about that. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, seashell said:

I seem to remember they claimed to be the first successful all female vocal group.

Personally, I preferred The Andrews Sisters, The Shangri Las and En Vogue. Especially En Vogue, who had hits just a couple of years before the Spice Girls but everyone seemed to forget about that. 

Notable omission of The Supremes.

3 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

Once poured tomato juice over a Spice Girls breasts in a hotel room.

that’s all I have to say about that. 😂

Am I correct in assuming that when you say 'tomato juice', that's a polite metaphor on a family-friendly forum?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, seashell said:

2 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Notable omission of The Supremes.

Absolutely, along with The Ronettes, The Crystals, Martha and the Vandellas, The Shirelles (and even Bananrama and The Nolans!!)

• Like 1