Why become a member? ×

Are six string basses addictive?

DiMarco

Just now, Al Krow said:

I'm pretty sure he was using a Warwick Thumb NT as his goto for quite a while? - 26 frets and defo not short scale!

And a (fretted) Fender VI in the days of Cream... 😉

• Like 1

I have 9 basses in total, an 8 string with octave strings included. Each instrument inspires in a different way and makes me come up with different stuff. If I could only maintain one then that would be a hard choice to make.

Purely from a functionality pov, I really only need one five string for the stuff we play with the band. I do own two four string basses but rarely use those.

Playing on the six is just a lot of fun, I don't really need one at all for the stuff we regularly play.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, DiMarco said:

I haven't played any of the five or four string basses since I got my six string last week.
Just wondering... Is this an addiction?

Yes. Yes it is. You'll end up wanting more strings soon... I have several 6 strings, a 7, an 8, a 9 and a 10 string. I once had a 13 string bass too. Roll with it sir, accept your fate... 

You're now one of us, there is no going back!!

One of us... one of us... one of us... one of us...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Honeymoon period.

You have all these new strings to play with and it's like being one of those transformers with weapons oozing out of every pore.  You're now Galactus and you never need another bass because the 6 string does it all. And more.

But then reality kicks in as you become more acquainted with the saying "with great power comes great responsibility". The extra weight hour after hour, the constant muting of the C string and the permanently rumbling B string, the (at least slight) neck dive, the extra price of strings, the extra mental calculations required to effectively circumvent the fretboard when going from chord to chord, to name but a few, all begin to take their toll.

Regarding the point in italics, even though it's only 2 strings more than a 4 string, that hugely expands how many patterns you need to keep in your head when looking for the right note to play, and when performing you really want to keep things as simple as possible. No need to complicate things.

And that's when you realise that you should only use the right bass for the job. Don't use a 6 string when a 4 or 5 will do. Don't use a 5 string when a 4 will do. It turns out that even though the 6 string is a whole lot of fun, it often doesn't need to be used that much except for niche work and practice.

Edited by TheLowDown
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, TheLowDown said:

Honeymoon period.

You have all these new strings to play with and it's like being one of those transformers with weapons oozing out of every pore.  You're now Galactus and you never need another bass because the 6 string does it all. And more.

But then reality kicks in as you become more acquainted with the saying "with great power comes great responsibility". The extra weight hour after hour, the constant muting of the C string and the permanently rumbling B string, the (at least slight) neck dive, the extra price of strings, the extra mental calculations required to effectively circumvent the fretboard when going from chord to chord, to name but a few, all begin to take their toll.

Regarding the point in italics, even though it's only 2 strings more than a 4 string, that hugely expands how many patterns you need to keep in your head when looking for the right note to play, and when performing you really want to keep things as simple as possible. No need to complicate things.

And that's when you realise that you should only use the right bass for the job. Don't use a 6 string when a 4 or 5 will do. Don't use a 5 string when a 4 will do. It turns out that even though the 6 string is a whole lot of fun, it often doesn't need to be used that much except for niche work and practice.

If you're in a standard covers band playing the likes of 'Dakota' and 'Sweet Home Alabama' then sure, but if you play your own original music, a 6 string is a huge advantage and opens up far more possibilities than a 4. Why limit yourself to a 4 when a 6 can do everything a 4 can do and much more! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheLowDown said:

And that's when you realise that you should only use the right bass for the job. Don't use a 6 string when a 4 or 5 will do. Don't use a 5 string when a 4 will do.

Don't use a 4 when one will do. Let's face it for most music you could get away with a single string. 2 at a push. You don't need 4 any more than you need 6, just what you are used to and what you want to use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheLowDown said:

Honeymoon period.

You make the case well in terms of some of the potential downsides such as extra weight and neck dive.

But now I play 5ers I have zero need for a 4 string and there are few songs where a 5 string doesn't add something (eg positional ease, playing a song an octave lower etc) to what a 4 string offers. And the downsides of incremental extra weight and neck dive are very manageable. 

So why go to the hassle of taking 2 different ie 4 and 5 string basses to a gig, even if a 4 string should be perfectly good enough for most songs, if a 5er does everything a 4 does and can often add a little more? 

There may be similar arguments for using a 6 string, once you have mastered the instrument? 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Same as Al. I only play a 5 string, it's what comfortable. I keep trying with 4s as there are nice ones, but no, don't get on with it. Also in my group there are some songs I need a 5, and I don't want to swap basses. I tried 6 but I think I messed up a bit in that I just took it to the first gig after I got it, and messed up a bit, I think I would have to had got used to it first. Still want to give it another try though

Let's put some coins in the juke box : 6 strings basses are like tonewoods, you have to understand the principles behind them, otherwise you'll start again and again the same diatribe.

You know that my sixers have absolutely no neck diving, are more ergonomic and weight less than most of the standard four's I had... And I had a lot.

If you are comfortable with an instrument, why would you change for something conventional and politically correct, except for the taste of the others ?

That's why I play (fretless) sixers, because I'm so accustomed to them and it's MY sound.

I have some 4 and 5 strings basses, but almost never play them. Check the ads soon...

Be yourself !

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Let's put some coins in the juke box : 6 strings basses are like tonewoods, you have to understand the principles behind them, otherwise you'll start again and again the same diatribe.

You know that my sixers have absolutely no neck diving, are more ergonomic and weight less than most of the standard four's I had... And I had a lot.

If you are comfortable with an instrument, why would you change for something conventional and politically correct, except for the taste of the others ?

That's why I play (fretless) sixers, because I'm so accustomed to them and it's MY sound.

I have some 4 and 5 strings basses, but almost never play them. Check the ads soon...

Be yourself !

Fretless??? You absolute monster! All fretless players are terrible people. 😜

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

potus.jpg.a18a18f5a97c1dea65b55a9612573e3f.jpg

You know... Every bass is good whatever the amount of strings. Some even use a guitar with two bass strings 🙂

I just find the new options having a six string intriguing and this particular bass has me playing more creatively at home. I keep coming up with nice new licks and stuff.
And getting the creative juices flowing is probably the part I find addictive about it. I am just very happy I have no problems with the huuge fretboard, it actually plays light and fast.

Here's a pic of it getting some new strings on earlier this week. The Yamaha weighs 4.8kg so it is perfectly manageable.

Yamastrings1.thumb.jpg.0c04998716faffeffe86e6766f5e4f83.jpg

Edited by DiMarco

I play them all at some point, but I believe in using the best tool for the job. This is why I have them all as you can see.

Others may not have that view. If I'm at a gig and I'm playing some songs that use a 4 string and some that use a 5 string, I will still take both. Arguably, most songs can be played on a 4 string, so I wouldn't be playing to the best of my ability if all of those songs were played on my 5 string, always having to mute the B string while complicating my playing unnecessarily.

For the weight issue, I'm not getting any younger, and every lb of weight every hour intensifies. This is why I choose to play the lightest bass I can. I don't want to lug around a 5 string when I don't have to, and definitely not a 6 string.

Binky makes the point about home projects, and I've stuffed that into "niche work and practice". I agree that the 6 string is ideal for such things and this is why I bought them to begin with. At home, the weight issue, neck dive and most of the other issues are negligible.

There's never going to be a bass which is all things to everyone. And that's why I choose to use the best tool for the job whatever.  I'm only going to use a bass if I absolutely have to. So the lighter, the more simple, the less strings, the less neck dive,...., the better for what I want to achieve.

IMG_20210502_215937_1.jpg

Edited by TheLowDown
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheLowDown said:

Others may not have that view. If I'm at a gig and I'm playing some songs that use a 4 string and some that use a 5 string, I will still take both. Arguably, most songs can be played on a 4 string, so I wouldn't be playing to the best of my ability if all of those songs were played on my 5 string, always having to mute the B string while complicating my playing unnecessarily.

I can't believe you've not discovered how good the B string is a thumb rest? Mutes it beautifully 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheLowDown said:

For the weight issue, I'm not getting any younger...

On the age point, I'm actually not aware of anyone who is 😉

More seriously though, getting a better load bearing strap (in my case Minotaur 11cm / 4.3")  has been a revelation and I'm really looking forward to gigging a couple of my heavier basses that I've previously hesitated to take out for 2 hour gigs.

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

On the age point, I'm actually not aware of anyone who is 😉

More seriously though, getting a better load bearing strap (in my case Minotaur 11cm / 4.3")  has been a revelation and I'm really looking forward to gigging a couple of my heavier basses that I've previously hesitated to take out for 2 hour gigs.

Any 10 string bass that includes the elixir of youth, I'm taken. I will overlook the strings.

For my strap I use 4 inch ones as in the pic, and they're the best I could find for around the 20 quid mark. The 6 strings weigh around 8.8lb, but even with a 4 inch strap it's like a boat anchor after a while.

Edited by TheLowDown

3 minutes ago, TheLowDown said:

Any 10 string bass that includes the elixir of youth, I'm taken. I will overlook the strings.

For my strap I use 4 inch ones as in the pic, and they're the best I could find for around the 20 quid mark. The 6 strings weigh around 8.8lb, but even with a 4 inch strap it's like a boat anchor after a while.

Gotcha - and that's fair enough. I'm fortunate to still be fine with a shade over 10 lbs, but wouldn't want to go much heavier than this, although @Happy Jack has put me in touch with his double-strap maker from Brazil, which could lighten the load further still, but that one is very considerably above the £20 mark unfortunately.

40 minutes ago, TheLowDown said:

For the weight issue, I'm not getting any younger, and every lb of weight every hour intensifies. This is why I choose to play the lightest bass I can. I don't want to lug around a 5 string when I don't have to, and definitely not a 6 string.

Same here - thats why I can't be bothered carrying multiple basses to gigs, and I certainly don't have time to change between them. I also play the lightest as at least 3 of my 5 strings are my lighter than my 4 string jazz (the EHB, the Maruszczyk and the 1605).

I never saw the complication of muting on a 5 string, any more than muting on a 4 string, but obviously we are different people and as I say 5 strings are my preferred thing. The only think I find 4 string better for is slap, and I don't really slap (because I neither like it or am any good at it - those two are probably related in one way or another). 

I just have the two 4 strings - a Jazz, because I often feel I should have one, and a SR1000, because it means something, so I wouldn't get rid of it. 

If I was playing my own music and had roadies to bring me basses whenever, maybe I would use them live, but im not, I am in a cover group where our choice of songs is 'fluid' so happy with one bass that does everything.

But understand what you mean and what you want, and that is the great thing that we all have our own ways, so what works for you is good for you.

40 minutes ago, TheLowDown said:

So the lighter, the more simple, the less strings, the less neck dive,...., the better for what I want to achieve.

Apart from the less strings, we are the same then

Just before the world changed I bought an Ibanez SR506, and I've had a fair bit of extra time to play in general this last year-and-a-half when normally I'd have been commuting, so it came in at the best possible time. I did play it to the exclusion of all else for the first week or two (which I think is normal/helpful if only to tweak the setup and make sure everything works as it should) but now it's just part of the collection and I play it when I feel like it... so no, not addicted personally, but quite happy to partake in moderation.

That TRB looks great, btw - my first bass was a BB-N4 and I spent a long time looking at the Yamaha catalogue back in 1999 thinking just how impressive the more adventurous models looked.. but also wondering as a complete beginner how anyone could ever put that many strings to use! Now I know.. 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks for the remark on my TRB. It is a John Patituci signature (1 not 2, the 2 are 35" this one is 34" scale) and the amount of detail in its design is just jawdropping. Body is a 7 layer waffle of maple, ash, alder and what seems to be ebony. Quality is about as good as the Fodera 5 I have. Never really looked at Yamaha before but this bass seems to be reasonably epic. 🙂

Edited by DiMarco
Typing on a smartphone is hard for dinosaurs
  • Like 2