Why become a member? ×

Are six string basses addictive?

DiMarco

11 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

speaking only for myself, if you play by ear and don't actually know any of the notes you're playing - just where to find the next one you want to hear relative to the one you're currently playing - 6 really doesn't add any complexity

I recently noticed that when I'm playing from normal written music, I'm not actually reading the notes, but am reading the intervals between them. Eg A to C, minor third, up a string and back 2 frets. (Which means if I start off two frets out, it can take me a while to realise... 😳 ) 

On 20/05/2021 at 10:07, binky_bass said:

There is genuinely a hint of '6+ string player' prejudice in this place! Who gives a monkey about how many strings we play... Person A wants a 1 string bass, cool. Person B wants a 10 string bass, cool. I just don't understand for a second why anyone would think anything negative about a person for playing something slightly different to them. It does genuinely make me wonder what other things in these peoples lives that they take issue with just because there's a 'difference'... The world is not grey, we are all different, enjoy what you do and allow others to enjoy what they do.

'The way you, Binky, as an artist, explore your art, chase your muse, and bring your audions into the World offends my feelings and sense of esthetics and you must not be an artist in a manner I don't approve of'

Uneducated Englishman talks about art /s (and by uneducated, I mean the English philosopher who was the greatest philosopher of aesthetics of the 20th century)

Edited by nobodysprefect
Roger Scrutonizer
  • Sad 1

Ha - funny to see this. I've had a few six strings in my life; an ACG, the spalted Zon that's on the board at the moment and a very, very nice Yam TRB-JP1.

Anyway, after foolishly selling the Yamaha a few years ago and being six string free for a while, I'm jumping back in. I currently have a 30yr-old TRB-6P heading my way this morning on a UPS truck. Hope it gets here in one piece!

I've been on four strings for a while now but I just love the Yamaha Sixers. Ebony, aircraft-carrier fingerboards make my day ;)

Edited by Cairobill
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Cairobill said:

Nope, a different one but the same model. The JP1 is terrific and I miss my old one. I’m curious as to how the neck-through 6P compares. 

Would be nice to get some feedback on the comparison when You have time Cairobill

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Those Yamaha boys and girls sure know how to make a mighty fine bass! 

Yeah - this TRB6P is INCREDIBLY well made. Unusual colour as well - it's what I would call a 'Tequila Sunrise' burst. Not the usual orange or cherry/redburst.

Edited by Cairobill

3 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

@DiMarco how are you liking the Thumb? Any pics of it? I recently got my Thumb NT6, a fairly recent one and that piqued my interest in earlier NT6's. 

20210524_163219.thumb.jpg.fa246b0ff3ee164b84a82028b167572f.jpg

Picked it up today. Truss rod works, but contra: Lefty tighty righty loosy. Neck is awesome. Stringspacing tighter then the Yam. Strings on it are at least a decade old though... A new pack of Fodera strings arrives on wednesday.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Will make decent pics with a DSLR once I cleaned and waxed it, and replaced those awful strings.
Battery compartment showed a leaking 9v has been in there. I think the bass has been stowed away unused for a very long time.

I like old Warwicks over the newer ones  though. I have no real reason why.

The neck is asymmetrical on the back which is really nice ergonomically. I wonder what I should use to remove all the grime before waxing it. Common soap?

2 hours ago, Cairobill said:

Yeah - this TRB6P is INCREDIBLY well made. Unusual colour as well - it's what I would call a 'Tequila Sunrise' burst. Not the usual orange or cherry/redburst.

What is the string spacing at the bridge on these? I had a TRB-II6P which was a great sounding bass but IIRC the spacing was like 19mm plus they left an ample amount of wood on both edges of the fingerboard so that made it like a Jumbo could land on it. I had a bolt on TRB-II6 before but this was wider (and a lot heavier)

27 minutes ago, DiMarco said:

Will make decent pics with a DSLR once I cleaned and waxed it, and replaced those awful strings.
Battery compartment showed a leaking 9v has been in there. I think the bass has been stowed away unused for a very long time.

I like old Warwicks over the newer ones  though. I have no real reason why.

The neck is asymmetrical on the back which is really nice ergonomically. I wonder what I should use to remove all the grime before waxing it. Common soap?

My only other Ww so far was a '91 Thumb NT5 which was a disappointment both ergonomically and sound-wise. My recent Thumb 6NT is a pleasant surpriese in both ways. It does not seem to have asymmetrical neck carve though but has a very playable neck (which is thicker front to back that my other sixers but feels great) Keep us updated on the cleaning process as I'm curious....as I was looking at some older natural finished Thumbs and seen some excessive usage of the Ww wax which is not really my liking aesthetically. 

26 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

@Paulhauser The strings spacing at the bridge of a Yamaha TRB-6P is 19mm. I had a few, even some defretted ones that sounded really great, but they were all on the heavy side so they went away.

Yup, 19mm. These are great basses. Not as ‘big’ body wise as the JP1, but ‘denser’ for sure. The maple wings are definitely part of the mix that makes them feel rigidly built and resonant. 

The fretboard is huge, but slender front to back. It feels much easier to play than the Zon with its D shape and 16.5 spacing. 

Although I liked the JP1, I prefer this bass mainly because of the neck thru. In comparison the TRB6P feels more responsive and even across the neck. Very, very playable and a lot of fun. 

Edited by Cairobill
  • Like 1