Why become a member? ×

Washburn Status

Lord Percy

Hi all, I'm looking to acquire an original Washburn Status S1000 and I cannot find one ANYWHERE!! For some reason they seem to pop up more in the States than here, or maybe it's because they're so good no-one wants to part with them? If you have one or know someone who has and a sale is possible please get in touch. I appreciate that they are up to 40 years old so I'm not expecting a case queen but the better the quality the better the bass and the colour is irrelevant but green or red grain would have me twitching. Drop me a line if you can help. Thanks.   

• Like 1

I wish it was that simple! Can't seem to find one anywhere! I thought that there would be a few knocking about but this doesn't seem to be the case. Hopefully I'll get offered 3 and be inundated but I'm not holding my breath. If I could nab one for £200 that would be even sweeter! Cheers.

8 hours ago, Lord Percy said:

I wish it was that simple! Can't seem to find one anywhere! I thought that there would be a few knocking about but this doesn't seem to be the case. Hopefully I'll get offered 3 and be inundated but I'm not holding my breath. If I could nab one for £200 that would be even sweeter! Cheers.

I had one and the wooden neck is very bendy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I bought one on Sunday. Its left handed, it cost me £450 which I felt was a fair rate considering what I'd seen others go for in the last few years. Considering the price of a new Status they're a good deal, but second hand Statii can be quite good value, so might be worth holding out for one of those, though I have no idea if right handers hold their value better. 

There are headless, bodied, alternatives. Or does yours have to be the Washburn for any reason? 

IMG_20210426_130346.jpg

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

£4-500 is about the going rate for these. I had one for a while, thought it was excellent if not exactly lightweight. A proper slap machine.

Slight tangent... How did you find the EQ? Mine has crazy thick and dead strings on it right now, got some Status 0.35s in the post, but even with the dead and stiff strings I'm not finding the EQ very inspiring, though the core tone has a lot of potential. 

I had D'addario NYXL 45-100s on, the EQ was a bit odd as its just a single tone control but with quite a boosted sounding top end when wide open. I managed to get some decent tones from it, it had quite wide range.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Quick upd : I was contacted by a seller who said he was on the Isle of Wight. Very convincing conversations regarding the bass and his failing health followed with a batch of photos showing a nice walnut faced example.

Cut to the chase, I was scammed and I've lost £330 altogether. I don't think they got my details from here as I advertised on a number of sites, but beware of anyone using the name Marlon Sims, email [email protected] and mobile number 07857951972.

I've set karma in motion so it's not over yet but please be mindful as I'm not gullible and I got stung.

Still looking for an S1000 though!!!

• Sad 4

2 minutes ago, Lord Percy said:

Hi all,

Quick upd : I was contacted by a seller who said he was on the Isle of Wight. Very convincing conversations regarding the bass and his failing health followed with a batch of photos showing a nice walnut faced example.

Cut to the chase, I was scammed and I've lost £330 altogether. I don't think they got my details from here as I advertised on a number of sites, but beware of anyone using the name Marlon Sims, email [email protected] and mobile number 07857951972.

I've set karma in motion so it's not over yet but please be mindful as I'm not gullible and I got stung.

hey mate that's stinky poo. I hope you can get it sorted

Good luck with the hunt

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Lord Percy said:

Hi all,

Mate, that's awful. I think this last year has brought about a serious rise in scam behaviour. Hope you get your money back and justice is served to the scoundrel. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lord Percy said:

Hi all,

How did you pay the money to him?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I used to play with one natural for years. Not a Status, though. The neck could be bowed a lot! I used Rotosound 30-90 sets and it was a real twang. And it could sing. But compared to carbon neck instruments the Washburn was only OK. I went to Modulus and Vigier and they are different and far better beasts. Yes, their prices are different, too. Find a used bolt-on Status instrument and you do not need a Washburn at all.

49 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

Are these good for anything that isn’t slap?

I had a lefty one I picked up cheap a few years ago. Used on several functions and worked for all styles I found. There were known to be the occasional issue with the truss rod IIRC!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, barrycreed said:

Never tried the Washburn S1000, but I have two Status S2 Classics with bolt-on graphite necks. They can do everything, and do it well! I use my 5-string in a doom metalband tuned down to A and it's easily tight enough to pull it off, sounds deep and fat and works really well with my Darkglass B7K overdrive. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Never tried the Washburn S1000, but I have two Status S2 Classics with bolt-on graphite necks. They can do everything, and do it well! I use my 5-string in a doom metalband tuned down to A and it's easily tight enough to pull it off, sounds deep and fat and works really well with my Darkglass B7K overdrive. 

That is what I was getting at :)

12 hours ago, barrycreed said:

Yes and no... To not faff about swapping basses like a prima donna at an audition last week I played a bit of a pop punky type thing with a pick on mine and it was pretty good, brought through some bite with the high end. These really excel at the slappity slap stuff, even for me who isn't very good at it at all, it just seems built for it and the synthetic fingerboard and the treble boost/ cut EQ really helps. You can't get a vintage J bass sound out of it, for example, but you wouldn't really expect to. It's great to stick in a guitar gig bag and travel very light to rehearsals.

Sound and feel-wise I find mine best played through a Trace Elliot amp, mid scooped, bashing out 80s covers.

Some comments on the neck/ Truss rod... I accidentally discovered that playing a harmonic then bending the neck like I was Slash or something was good fun. I left the bass a while, it got hot in my office, and it was unplayable at the "money" end of the neck. It needed quite a lot of adjustment at the truss rod which needs a metric Allen key. Adjustment done, bass is back in perfect condition and got used in an audition. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LeftyJ said:

I have an s2 fretless bolt on, it has really detailed and clear fundamentals which is great for that mwah. I have tried a lot of other fretless basses over the years but the s2 is the king at this, and no fade away dead spots. I think the main reason for getting a status would be the carbon neck, without it it just becomes another well made bass which is ok but I might well go for something else if that was the case. Since getting the fretless I am now getting a fretted version, i have never played a fretted status but if it’s anything like the fretless I’ll be real happy…fingers crossed.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi chaps. 

I'm struggling with dead spots only on my A string, action is raised but the A string is noticeably quieter than the others. E / D / G strings all perfect! This is my 3rd Washburn and 2 of them had the same issue, last one was never solved, sold it on cheap to a guy who wanted to try and fix it. 

Any suggestions? Love the bass but this issue is making it unusable in a gig environment.