Why become a member? ×

Thanks for the help!

CDLT

Hi everyone, I posted about a week ago looking for a first bass under £250 and got a truckload of suggestions. I spent the week poring over ebay, gumtree, fb etc and then actually went into a music shop to see what they had. Realised I felt like a prat looking for "something nice" when it was my first time holding one of the things, and the entry level ones sounded fine to my untrained ears... Anyway, a slightly beaten up Yamaha RBX170 turned up right around the corner for £70 and (after checking reviews on here first) I went and got it! 

Anyway, this forum's provided me so much information this week, so thanks everyone. I'm now gonna look for a copy of Hal Leonard's bass thingy and get stuck in, I'm psyched just to finally have the strings in front of me. It's admittedly a little daunting  having it all in front of me and not knowing quite where to start (also being 24 and not having played anything before) but this place seems very chill and welcoming of questions.

I mostly started because I want to eventually play music with other people for the fun of it. I'm mostly into rock/indie and some jazz stuff but I'm hoping getting to know the instrument will open up other music for me. A bassist that really made me want to start is from one of my favourite bands, a Japanese group called Gesu no kiwami otome who do funky, jazzy rock/pop. He seems really talented and I'm always drawn to their basslines. The vocals are definitely an acquired taste though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B98VzkSNV1U&ab_channel=gesunokiwamiotome-Topic

Anyway, cheers for having me!
Edit: One thing I'm struggling with is the difference in sound between my index and second finger when I pluck. The second one is less powerful and also less twangy, the cause seems to be that my index is a little pointier and the nail tends to hit the string, unlike with the other finger. Is this a (common/easily fixed) problem? 

Edited by CDLT
  • Like 3

Welcome CDLT.

Practice will help you discover the range of tones that you can make with your fingers, thumb or plectrum.  Using two or more fingers helps when you are playing a lot of eighths or sixteenths but as you know, it is important for the notes to sound consistent.

Repetition will reinforce your muscle memory and soon you won't even have to think about it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CDLT said:

I'm now gonna look for a copy of Hal Leonard's bass thingy and get stuck in,

I’m glad you got yourself a bass CDLT , it’s exiting getting your first one and great fun when things start coming together, it might take a little while but with practice it will definitely come.  I’ve got this book which I’ve never used, and it’s got the CD with it unplayed, if it’s any use to you to get you rolling, your welcome to it for nothing 👍

C104C6F2-20CC-4E46-961B-0A934F0A47C0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m glad you got yourself a bass CDLT , it’s exiting getting your first one and great fun when things start coming together, it might take a little while but with practice it will definitely come.  I’ve got this book which I’ve never used, and it’s got the CD with it unplayed, if it’s any use to you to get you rolling, your welcome to it for nothing 👍

C104C6F2-20CC-4E46-961B-0A934F0A47C0.jpeg

Wow, that's really kind! I'll bite your hand off if you're sure you don't need it? And yeees it is exciting! Taking my mind off all the stuff I should be doing :s

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CDLT said:

Wow, that's really kind! I'll bite your hand off if you're sure you don't need it? And yeees it is exciting! Taking my mind off all the stuff I should be doing :s

No problem, if you PM (private message) me your address I’ll pop it in the post 👍

Edited by Reggaebass

It's important you womble along at your own speed.  But if you fancy a bit of structured learning, book a two week free trial of Scotts Bass Lessons. if you cancel promptly before the trial is up it won't cost you nowt and his 'nursery slopes' are amongst the best in the business. Or you could browse his free online material.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

It's important you womble along at your own speed.  But if you fancy a bit of structured learning, book a two week free trial of Scotts Bass Lessons. if you cancel promptly before the trial is up it won't cost you nowt and his 'nursery slopes' are amongst the best in the business. Or you could browse his free online material.  

Thanks for the tip! A little structure would definitely help. Have just signed up on studybass so will see how that goes too...

• Like 1

You won’t have gone wrong with that Yamaha, they just done make a bad instrument at any price point IMO. My first foray into bass was with a Yammy BB300. I did, however, return to the guitar full time :whoopass:. But I saw the error of my ways and returned to fold many years later and my first (second time around) bass was a Yammy RBX 270 (I think).

To echo @PaulThePlug’s comment, this is Basschat and we even have our own emoji for posts without ‘evidence’...

:useless:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

It is customary to make a NBD post (New Bass Day).

I like this! 

Here's my new friend, I've never usually been a fan of red but I actually think it's pretty jazzy! Scuse the crummy photography.

IMG_20210430_190138.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

looks good... just a little note, All the bridge saddles look to be set the same. (have a look at the bridges of other NBD threads)

These may need to be adjusted, they are usually staggered, due to the different thickness of the strings and notes of the open string... this is called 'intonation'... you may hear that the notes go slightly out of tune as you go further up the neck, particularly after half way, the 12th fret...

dont worry just now, if you post ya location you might get an offer of help from someone local, if not a simple fix with the aid of a £10 clip on tuner, which would be handy, 30 mins or so and a google search.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

looks good... just a little note, All the bridge saddles look to be set the same. (have a look at the bridges of other NBD threads)

These may need to be adjusted, they are usually staggered, due to the different thickness of the strings and notes of the open string... this is called 'intonation'... you may hear that the notes go slightly out of tune as you go further up the neck, particularly after half way, the 12th fret...

dont worry just now, if you post ya location you might get an offer of help from someone local, if not a simple fix with the aid of a £10 clip on tuner, which would be handy, 30 mins or so and a google search.

Good spot, that man. To be fair, having scored a right bargain, the money saved could be spent on a basic set up. Although, as you say, a local BCer might well be willing to check and sort it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

Oh wow that's not even something I knew to look for, thanks for pointing it out! Seems like it'd be a good idea to talk to someone, maybe in a shop or something to get my head around it and learn how to fix it myself. Plenty of music stuff here in Bristol at least :) And funnily enough my friend sent me a headstock tuner as I'd mentioned learning the bass, which was what spurred me to get on with it and buy one.

Thanks for the handbook link too, sound 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve just posted the book 1st class CDLT 👍

The level of friendliness and going the extra mile that many BCers demonstrate never fails to impress me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ezbass said:

This just popped up in my YT feed and might help. The same intonation rules apply.

Thanks, seeing it done in person makes it nice and clear and looks like this guy has other setup videos too, thanks so much for sharing! 

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve just posted the book 1st class CDLT 👍

Man, thank you so much! So generous. Feeling very welcomed and excited for the bass. Hopefully I'll be in a position to pay forward the kindness to someone else in the future B|

• Like 3