Why become a member? ×

Lakland Appreciation Thread

Sibob

7 minutes ago, Sibob said:

This is on Reverb currently (nothing to do with me), near Chelmsford:

https://reverb.com/item/40217240-lakland-55-01-skyline-2020-cream?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=40217240

I briefly enquired, but will just stick with, and mod, my Black/Maple 55-01. Seems like he might go down on price a little, it weighs 4.5kg.

Si

Get thee behind me, oh horned one. 😈😆

Fortunately, heavier than I go for these days. 

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The blue JO is an early US model (1998) purchased from this site last year. It's a wonderful instrument, and I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that I think I must have played it every day since it arrived. It also has the added curiosity of having Joe Osborn's signature on the back of the headstock - something a previous owner managed to get at a Lakland show in 2005 when JO was present. It has Fralin p/ups and also the wonderful neck profile that the Laklands are known for. Looks great. Sounds great. Plays great. I absolutely love it!

The green US JO is from 2006. The neck feels slightly chunkier than the above bass, but still wonderfully playable. Again, (I think) it has Fralin p/ups and is slightly heavier than the 1998 JO (9.5lbs vs. 8.8lbs). The matching headstock is a nice touch, I think!

The green US 44-64 is a 2020 model purchased from Station Music in Germany at the end of December last year. It's a 'Vintage' model, spec'd by the shop, and as such has the Jazz width neck rather than the traditional 60s width. The Sea Foam Green finish is as faded as it looks in the pic - something the store requested, but weren't keen on when the bass arrived ("it looks too white") - I like it! It's a lovely bass, but I have to say I prefer the JOs, and due to a need to free up funds it may be that once social distancing is a thing of the past it is moved on?

I can remember when Laklands first arrived at the old Bass Centre in Wapping around 1998, and the buzz that they created. They were US made instruments, and out of reach, price wise, for a lot of players. The introduction of the Skyline models have made them more accessible but with no compromise on quality - certainly not from the basses I've played. I wish they had made them back in '98!

Fabulous instruments all round... 

Lakland JO & BG Jan 2021.jpg

Lakland JO SFG.jpg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Sibob said:

This is on Reverb currently (nothing to do with me), near Chelmsford:

https://reverb.com/item/40217240-lakland-55-01-skyline-2020-cream?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=40217240

I briefly enquired, but will just stick with, and mod, my Black/Maple 55-01. Seems like he might go down on price a little, it weighs 4.5kg.

Si

Would look amazing with cream pup covers...

vrw7kgvj6ym52hfswdpp.png

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1

This is my first ever Lakland. Having bought it from @three last year, I can't believe it took me so long. I also can't believe he sold it 😀. It's an absolute belter!

Looking at all these other lovely examples, it's definitely got me thinking about adding another to the collection one day.

EDIT: You probably all know anyway, but it's a 44-64 Bob Glaub. Case courtesy of @Misdee.

IMG_4017.jpeg

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

There's a Skyline 55-02 on Gumtree currently for £995 - seen them sell for less but this one has a figured Maple body.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/lakland-skyline-55-02-bass-guitar/1404188663

image.thumb.png.dedef9b7020ed95d870168b2d718067f.png

Solid price on a 55-02 Deluxe I think, if it's in good nick. I much prefer that natural finish to the cherry-burst you often see.

Love Laklands....hate Cherry-burst :D

Si

• Like 1

Out of curiosity Si, how do the US&A models compare to Skyline's?

I've never had the pleasure of an American one but I'm sure Dan Lakin once said somewhere on internet land that if someone's not too fussed about figured woods & fancy colours "buy a skyline". Testiment to the quality of his brand I'd say.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Horizontalste said:

. . .  Dan Lakin once said somewhere on internet land that if someone's not too fussed about figured woods & fancy colours "buy a skyline". Testiment to the quality of his brand I'd say.

I believe he did say that.

Also Roger Sadowsky said the same about his NYC and Metro basses.

These less expensive ranges aren't cheap basses. They have the same electrics, hardware and QC as the more expensive lines.

14 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I believe he did say that.

Also Roger Sadowsky said the same about his NYC and Metro basses.

These less expensive ranges aren't cheap basses. They have the same electrics, hardware and QC as the more expensive lines.

Thanks Chris, I couldn't cite it but I do remember him saying it somewhere.

Both of my Skyline's are brilliant instruments but they are the only Lakland experience I have so I'm sure there may be less than perfect examples out there.

Lakland’s have been my most lurched basses, but ive never played a USA one. 

Ive had 3 Duck Dunns. The last two at the same time. One had a Hanson and the other a Fralin in it. I kept the Fralin loaded one as it sounded a bit warmer and less aggressive, but all three were outstanding basses. 

Also had a DJ5 that i got made in to a PJ, never really felt at one with it though, but it felt and played as lovely as you would expect. 

Ive even still got a maple skyline JO neck under the bed somewhere that i used to have on my Squier CV basses. 

FE1AEEC6-B977-4FF3-864E-2BAAB500E9A9.jpeg.b5701d16826e1bee0a7b6cc61c7a5622.jpeg

81443229-5A31-408D-BDFE-B2BB6D086B66.jpeg.1665a595b9b2f9a8721dc09a14e7f299.jpeg

6CD89165-11E3-405F-BB87-9A4158DD9E3D.jpeg.b2dd74369627c47b92933044fd5294a8.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Horizontalste said:

Out of curiosity Si, how do the US&A models compare to Skyline's?

I've never had the pleasure of an American one but I'm sure Dan Lakin once said somewhere on internet land that if someone's not too fussed about figured woods & fancy colours "buy a skyline". Testiment to the quality of his brand I'd say.

As a fan of the Skyline series, I would say that going US largely gets you the customizable options. They don’t make a Skyline passive P/J 44-94 (in gold), and that’s what I wanted, so I went US to get that spec.
There are other details as well, like quarter-sawn US necks over Skyline half-sawn etc, if that’s important to you.

But as others have said, the Skylines are so good for the money, that if they offer a model that suits your requirements, get that! Otherwise, go US for custom-shop options (of which they’ll do most things).

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Thanks 1

On 03/05/2021 at 13:47, Sibob said:

Well if you ever want to sell the fretless 😄.
Got a picture?

Si

I will certainly give you first refusal on the fretless Si, but I cannot envisage myself selling it any time in the foreseeable future. 🙂

I would love to show you some pictures of my Lakland basses but they are all put away in storage at the moment. I don't really have any decent pictures of them to share unfortunately.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

On 06/05/2021 at 12:08, TheGreek said:

Is that true as a rule of thumb?

Cant say for sure, but ive had 3 Fralin’s over the years and they have been on the warmer side compared to other P pups ive used.  

Personally i dont rate them, at least not at full price. They never seemed to do anything cheaper pups could do. Obviously we all want to hear things differently, I’m not saying they aren’t good per say, but IMO they are overpriced for what they offer. I had two basses with them in, and brought one based on other people liking them. I swapped the purchased one out for a cheaper Fender pup which to my ears had more of a ‘woody’ tone. The Lakland’s were never changed and i cant say i found them lacking, but the i didnt buy the pups.

Edited by dave_bass5

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

Cant say for sure, but ive had 3 Fralin’s over the years and they have been on the warmer side compared to other P pups ive used.  

Personally i dont rate them, at least not at full price. They never seemed to do anything cheaper pups could do. Obviously we all want to hear things differently, I’m not saying they aren’t good per say, but IMO they are overpriced for what they offer. I had two basses with them in, and brought one based on other people liking them. I swapped the purchased one out for a cheaper Fender pup which to my ears had more of a ‘woody’ tone. The Lakland’s were never changed and i cant say i found them lacking, but the i didnt buy the pups.

Interesting, I have a Fralin in a bitsa currently and I really like it, that said, it has Tapewounds on it and perhaps it's particularly suited to that sound. To your point though, I paid used price for that pickup, perhaps I'd feel differently if I was £100 down rather than £50, although a good sound is a good sound :) 
I think generally though, people sleep on Lakland pickups, i've loved the stock pickups in both US 44-64's I've had, both Hanson's I believe.

Si

3 hours ago, Sibob said:

Interesting, I have a Fralin in a bitsa currently and I really like it, that said, it has Tapewounds on it and perhaps it's particularly suited to that sound. To your point though, I paid used price for that pickup, perhaps I'd feel differently if I was £100 down rather than £50, although a good sound is a good sound :) 
I think generally though, people sleep on Lakland pickups, i've loved the stock pickups in both US 44-64's I've had, both Hanson's I believe.

Si

Oh yes, i liked the Fralins i had, but i paid £130 for the one i brought on its own and never thought it was worth it over other pups ive had. I took it out and sold it and brought a Fender 62 Original, and to my ears it sounded better and only cost £55.

I have nothing against Hanson pups, it was just at that point i had the choice and was already familiar with the Fralin.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

I've had a bass with some expensive Nordstands in, and they were very nice. But the concept of pickup winding is so simple I don't really know how much difference there can be between some pickup made in a factory or one made by hand by a one man band.