Why become a member? ×

Thinline Acoustic - Anyone?

NancyJohnson

For a while now I've been hankering for a thinline acoustic - I don't play a lot of guitar, probably because my acoustics are limited to a 70s Epiphone FT140 and a Zenith Josh White parlour guitar, both of which are a bit cumbersome.

So, where do I go to for advice?  Lol.

So the shortlist - I'm being increasingly drawn to some of the Godin stuff - some of their stuff is mental and I'm always drawn to the quirky (check out the fretless A11, the fretted A10 or the Gypsy).

TAYLOR T5Z:
c764c2a25cb16145479c7bb014e9a2b4-970-80.

GODIN A6

electro-acoustic-guitar-godin-a6-ultra-b

TAKEMINE (Unsure of model#)
takamine-tsp178ac-thinline-electro-acous

GIBSON CHET ATKINS
gibson-chet-atkins-sst-1992-blk-cons-ful

Remember the guitar press singing their gushing praises on the Taylor when it came out. Let's face it, it's a Taylor, so it's going to be very good, but not the cheapest.

The Godin's are serious bits of kit that don't get that much recognition or praise. Definitely worth trying. Should be relatively cheaper than the Taylor.

Wouldn't be surprised if Yamaha make or made a thinline.

Didn't Epiphone have a version of the Chet Atkins as well?

The Ovation / Applause thin bowl (or whatever they call them) guitars are worth looking at too. Had an Applause for a while (Korean built Ovation - kind of like an Epiphone), very nice guitar that I probably should have kept. The US built Ovation guitars can go for silly money.

I have a crafter SA, I am sure the Godins and Taylor's are better, but they are also a lot more. It's a Crafter QMMS, ie, blue and quilted. For my use it works well, small enough to have around

now I look they seem more expensive - don't remember paying that much for it!

Edited by Woodinblack

Opened discussion with the wife last night.  Always have to play this little game, plus, she's contributing indirectly to it anyway (I have unspent and forthcoming birthday monies incoming).

After breaking it to her that a Taylor looks my preferred choice, I just pointed out that it's over a grand (chortle) and it might be a good idea to get one from the US. 

We always have to do this little dance; she knows it's going to be more expensive than a grand and just wants to make me squirm a bit.

• Like 1

On 30/04/2021 at 20:39, Woodinblack said:

I have a crafter SA, I am sure the Godins and Taylor's are better, but they are also a lot more. It's a Crafter QMMS, ie, blue and quilted. For my use it works well, small enough to have around

now I look they seem more expensive - don't remember paying that much for it!

I have a Crafter CT-120 and it is a lovely thing. I have played a couple of the Godin ACS guitars and they are gorgeous…

Damn, might have to go and buy one now.

Edited by Frank Blank

50 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I haVe a Crafter CT-120 and it is a lovely thing. I have played a couple of the Godin ACS guitars and they are gorgeous…

Damn, might have to go and buy one now.

I'll admit I wasn't familiar with Crafter Guitars.  Just had a look...unsure which model it is, but there's one that's very similar to the Gibson Chet Atkins SST.  Might need to check these out too.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I'll admit I wasn't familiar with Crafter Guitars.  Just had a look...unsure which model it is, but there's one that's very similar to the Gibson Chet Atkins SST.  Might need to check these out too.

I think Crafter get a bad press, the one I’ve got is a lovely thing, can’t fault it.

I had this...for a bit recently. Had some stuff to pay for so moved it on.

81A4B2AF-4436-46C9-A0CB-E09FFC8CE329.thumb.jpeg.51c986b8a385bdebb0c137f582eeb892.jpeg

They crop up between £300-£500 online used.

Theres a nylon strung version too.

Was nice, not overtly “acoustic” sounding when recorded, but definitely gave that flavour 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, EssentialTension said:

My son used to have a Crafter SA-TMVS with a Kent Armsrong lipstick pickup, a piezo in the bridge, and an L.R.Baggs preamp. It was around £280 new in 2010ish. Bargain guitar.

The same as I had, for the same sort of price. However, look at the price now!

I like Crafter acoustics. I feel they are a bit like Yamaha in that there is a range of prices, but at each price point you're getting more than your monies worth, and I've yet to play a bad one. 

• Like 1