Why become a member? ×

Need some hints on a PJ build

such

, I'm having a Buzz PJ built by Restauracja Gitar in Poland. I'm a bit undecided on some options, including the finish, so a bit of brainstorming, experiences and maybe pics would be much appreciated. 

It will be a PJ, with the thickest neck they have, alder body. Nickel hardware, I really don't like the look of chrome. Hipshot D-tuner. Bridge probably Omega Badass clone. Maybe a vintage type with threaded saddles. Shortlisted pickups are either DiMarzio model P/model J combo or the Geezer set. Maybe Aguilar if I can stretch cost-wise. Other recommendations welcome. J pickup needs to be hum-cancelling and in general they need to be fairly full range, I don't like the hyped overwound types such as QuarterPounders (based on very recent experience). I would love to hear some feedback on the DiMarzio. I know they are known as dark, but I do like yt samples I hear. The circuit will likely be a 3/4/5-position (depending if I go for serial/parallel thing etc) rotary switch and a tone control, to keep the classic 2-knob look. Now the finish. They are best at this. They follow the old Fender recipe, a layer of ultra hard Fullerplast grain filler/primer followed by this, well cured nitro. They are rather good ad relics too, and it's tempting, especially as I wouldn't be charged extra for it. At the moment I'm thinking reliced metallic black, dark tort pickguard, rosewood board, black or cream DiMarzios for slightly sinister look. But I do love a tobacco burst too, can't do a classic sunburst with opaque black edges and "German flag" transitions. Or maybe dark aged LPB, but then with a mint or aged pearl pickguard. Please challenge me intellectually! Not that I'm not already... 

Examples of what catches my eye:

FB_IMG_1600225004723.jpg

Screenshot_20210414_090218_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210410_120720_com.instagram.android.jpg

838F4038-99F9-42D4-B2A6-11986A18CCE3.jpeg

IMG_1832.jpg.a19580ce56e860c5b6a521ed07c35d06.jpg

FB_IMG_1617832033973.jpg

FB_IMG_1617827188636.jpg

FB_IMG_1617825262383.jpg

FB_IMG_1617831968662.jpg

Cant go wrong with a classic Dimarzio model P or Model J. I've only tried the series/ parallel on the Model P that's on my SD Curlee bass but it makes a big difference to the sound so that would be a good idea in my opinion, even if at the end of the day you completely prefer one of the options. Oh, and they've got to be cream covers - it's the law. 😀

• Like 1