Why become a member? ×

ABM600 Settings

Guest BassAdder27

On 30/04/2021 at 21:35, Bassybert said:

With all that mid and treble, you should start playing guitar instead 😉

You must have quite a cutting punky sound with those settings?

Yeah trying to get that Bruce Foxton sound, quite bright.

1 hour ago, BassAdder27 said:

Playing with a pick I tried adding the Shape scoop sound with 9 band EQ on but adding a bit more Mids 

The sound / tone was amazing and the pick helped remove the boom that the Shape sound tends to cause and the depth of sound yet still punchy was a great sound with the PBass 

This was one of those rock sounds you have in your head .. 

I also had the valve drive on slightly and the compressor on too and this all made it work well together 

where do people set their input and master for gig level volume ? 

My input level stays the same for quiet or loud volumes 

I only use the output volume for final sound level changes ie practice or gigs and this will vary on size of gig and room conditions etc. 

I’m now preferring running my amp close to flat in terms of EQ which will make it easier to adjust for the venue as required. It doesn’t sound as good playing on your own but with a band it works 

Also I always have my bass guitar volume on max and tone control wide open ( PBass ) 

Edited by BassAdder27

11 hours ago, Chrisan2 said:

where do people set their input and master for gig level volume ? 

The input should be set to match your bass and how you want to hit the front end of the amp. Ashdown recommend just tickling the red zone on the VU meter when you dig in. Try different settings to see what you like. 

For the output, it's so dependent on the room, your cab(s), if there is PA support. It isn't really a setting that ought to be replicated. Use your ears and guidance from the sound guy if there is one.

10 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Just back from Ashdown, they plugged in my amp and gave it a thorough test, all working exactly as it should be. 

Thanks @Ashdown Engineering, yet another reason to buy your excellent products.

Great news, they are a great bunch at Ashdown 

Edited by BassAdder27

Slightly off-topic - but how good is the compressor in the ABM heads?

An ABM would be a lot heavier than my Mark Bass head but if I didn't need to take a compressor and a mild overdrive with me then perhaps the overall faffing about would be lower.

I'm usually playing big band jazz stuff.

1 hour ago, alexa3020 said:

For future reference, what do they charge for a service?

Well today I took them two packets of biscuits. I’m not sure if there’s any specific charges if sending the amp there but any work I’ve ever had done (I always take the amps there myself) has been settled with bikkies.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

An ABM would be a lot heavier than my Mark Bass head but if I didn't need to take a compressor and a mild overdrive with me then perhaps the overall faffing about would be lower.

I wouldn’t say it’s hi-tech super squashy, more like it evens things out and makes things a bit thicker.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I'd say it's good. I'm used to using a diamond bass compressor, so pretty subtle compression, but I'm growing pretty tired of carting a big pedalboard around. I'd say the ABM comp is on par with the Diamond. I had it around 3pm the other day and it was pretty squashy. I like it best around 10 / 11 o'clock.