Why become a member? ×

ABM600 Settings

Guest BassAdder27

4D3107F2-1DBC-4192-93CC-E2E25F4F8287.thumb.jpeg.c76873a00b750ddce23d9b835eea2a41.jpegWhat settings do you use on your ABM600 for rock / pop tones ?

The manual offers some guides but I ended setting mine as above 

Not too far off Flat settings and with some valve drive ( seems to add warmth ) and no compressor 

Edited by BassAdder27

Mine at rehearsal last night (so good to be rehearsing again) was as below. Using my Precision and the studios SVT810, which is a bit boomy hence the pushed top end. Sounded great though, really good solid presence in the mix. No Drive even tho setting at midday, with boomy cab it was too much so switched it off.

F166E561-619F-453E-87B0-54D8CE45D507.jpeg

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

The gain on my ABM 500 EVO II is normally around 3pm with my P Bass, seems to need a lot of input gain to get that meter moving!

I do like adding a touch of the valve drive, really seems to fatten things up but get's a bit farty if it's too high.

Edited by Bassybert

Ashdown told me to push the gain well up and do the throttling on the output.  I'm a fan of an EQ set up I found accidentally on my MB LM 2 with BF 210 - bass 11-12, lo mid 10, hi mid 9 and treble 8-9. I generally have to push the low mids ups a tad to cut through in a band.

I found using my ears helped and mostly ignoring the VU meter 

I tried at 3pm approx on my RM800 and it added too much gain for my liking 

The ABM600 does seem to have a more sensitive VU meter but again I’ve tried it kissing the red ( uh er misses lol ) and found backing it off worked for me 

Naturally playing styles and bass spec all play a part to the input signal 

One thing for sure although at low volume at home the shape button is nice but for normal use I take it out.... strangely you have to let your ears settle as the change is dramatic!

It appears the ABM600 and RM800 are similar in EQ tones with the ABM having an added warmth and more EQ to tweek

The SUB is far more subtle on the ABM600 too 

Great amps though and well pleased with both of mine 

48 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

Lozz196 you have a lot of input gain I see ?

On my PBass it’s around 1pm played finger style with the bass volume and tone wide open 

I always have the gain right up with my Trace Elliot and P bass, the warning light very rarely comes on, I had an Ashdown 500 EVOIII and had the gain right up on that too

3 minutes ago, Chrisan2 said:

My settings , output normally set at noon, no valve and no compression , still tweeking  some , haven't had it too long. Using Pro Steels on a P, with a pick. IMG_1177.thumb.JPG.ff7764a53341a5d18bb078aea373a5aa.JPG

With all that mid and treble, you should start playing guitar instead 😉

You must have quite a cutting punky sound with those settings?

1 hour ago, BassAdder27 said:

Lozz196 you have a lot of input gain I see ?

On my PBass it’s around 1pm played finger style with the bass volume and tone wide open 

Yes, must admit after having had to set it this way I’m going to take it to Ashdown for a service as my first one didn’t need this amount of input gain and it seemed a lot louder as well, I rarely took that amp past 10 o’clock on output/volume.

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Yes, must admit after having had to set it this way I’m going to take it to Ashdown for a service as my first one didn’t need this amount of input gain and it seemed a lot louder as well, I rarely took that amp past 10 o’clock on output/volume.

When I got mine back from Ashdown the other week, I did notice that it needed less gain on the input than before. Sounds like a good plan. 

3 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

When I got mine back from Ashdown the other week, I did notice that it needed less gain on the input than before. Sounds like a good plan. 

All booked in for Tuesday, will of course be taking the obligatory packet of biscuits that permits me access to Ashdown HQ.

I will be interested if they change anything 

I do notice a volume lift when the drive comes in and the valve warmth 

I changed the original to a JJ ECC83 as the original was a bit noisy / crackly 

The dual fans are noisier than my RM800 but not excessive and ok 

13 hours ago, Bassybert said:

With all that mid and treble, you should start playing guitar instead 😉

You must have quite a cutting punky sound with those settings?

Yeah trying to get that Bruce Foxton sound, quite bright.

• Like 2

Can anyone with the ABM600 describe the range of the valve drive ?

Off is obvious and as I turn the control it comes in ( louder too ) and the changes from just on to full on seem subtle?

I haven’t had it at gig volume yet of course so maybe more noticeable at volume?

Ive fitted a new JJECC83S pre amp tube as the original Chinese was a bit noisy 

Edited by BassAdder27

The valve drive in the ABM 600 is different from the earlier models. It has a lot more overdrive on tap and can get pretty gnarly if you push it hard enough with the input gain too. Certainly if you compare it with the valve drive on my EVO from 1999 it would feel like it has a lot more drive and dirt

I found it less of a drive function and more of a sound thickener and harmonics adder. Yes there is some drive/gain there but it’s subtle, unlike that on the RM amps which quickly becomes apparent in anything after about 9 o’clock on the control.

Yes I agree there is a big difference on the RM, the drive is more like an overdrive / distortion and very obvious 

The ABM does appear to be a subtle variation from on to full on assuming mines working correctly 

My set up is p bass with barefaced 210.
volume is set to max on the p bass & tone usually about 3/4.

My input on the amp is set about 2pm & I find that it’s peaking in the red on the vu meter. 
I find that I need to boost the highs - I think perhaps because of no tweeter in the cab. Id be interested if other barefaced 10” users do this? 

I also take out some of the bass because it sounds a bit boomy in the practice room.

try to keep most other settings flat, but sometimes need boost the low mids to cut through in the mix.

love the valve drive & it is always on at about 2 o’clock. As lozz says, it just fattens the sound and adds harmonics. I’m also finding you need to be driving the input for the valve drive to have an effect.

shape, compressor and sub octave usually off.

My setup is fairly new to me at the moment, so I’m still figuring things out. I do seem to be getting it sound that bit better every time I play it in the band environment.

Looks like everyone has the "Shape" button in the "Out" position i.e. not pushed in.    I guess that means its "off" but is that the case?

I've tended to have the Shape button in (On) but have found it a little thin.   Conversely with the button "Out" the sound is a little too "Rich" for me when playing live.    

I'll try some of the settings from this thread, but I have to say I'm impressed by the Output Volume achieved by some - and I thought my guitar player was loud!

I suspect I've been doing it all wrong! 

Oops

You know I hadn’t realised that I was using the Shape feature, I just used the same settings as last rehearsal which was the first time using this amp with my current band, and which was 5 months ago. For some reason “in” is off, “out” is on. Would explain why you think out is a bit rich, it scoops mids and adds lows/highs. Thinking about it that’s probably why I’ve upped my mids a fair bit.

Also as I mentioned before when you have the Shape Mid scoop sound and you change it to “OFF” the tone sounds thin while your ears adjust and then you really hear the punchy full sound that isn’t boomy or muddy but clear and defined 

Sorry,  I was looking at your posted photo and thought your settings had the shape button in the "Out" position i.e. On.  I'm pretty sure I have decided (at low volumes anyway) that the shaped tone is more organic/rich/pleasant than the unshaped setting - but wasn't completely sure that I hadn't confused "On" with "Off".     Anyway, since I've started to use my ears rather than my prejudice against scooped mids, I'm much happier with the Amp.    Let's see how we get on with it vs a loud guitar!

Playing with a pick I tried adding the Shape scoop sound with 9 band EQ on but adding a bit more Mids 

The sound / tone was amazing and the pick helped remove the boom that the Shape sound tends to cause and the depth of sound yet still punchy was a great sound with the PBass 

This was one of those rock sounds you have in your head .. 

I also had the valve drive on slightly and the compressor on too and this all made it work well together