Why become a member? ×

Yamaha SLB200

alex_1_2_3

I've had my Yamaha SLB200 for a little while now and I think it's possibly the nicest EUB I've played - both in terms of the tone and playability. Not long ago I put on some synthetic evah slap strings and I think it gives a fairly convincing old school tone. Here's a short video example. Any other SLB200 users out there? I'd love to know if there are any mods that can give an even more convincing double bass sound.

• Like 5

I like that.😊

I have one and gigged with it for a couple of years before I got my DB that I use at gigs(and will again ...sometime...). Now I use the SLB 200 at rehearsals instead of hauling the DB around and it is great but I don't have quite the same sound as you do. I've been using Zyex lights for the last year or two and they feel good and sound OK but I usually use an amp that is not mine for rehearsals and it sounds much better at home or at gigs through our Bose PA.

They are a crazy price but I was in the right place at the right time and got a used one in perfect condition at a great price. If I were looking to replace it ( I'm not) I think I would go for an Eminence , I have played one and liked it.

The "body" on the SLB 200 works fine for me but I know some people hate it. I added a 3.5"x5.5" silicone sticky pad on the bass side arm of the body to keep the bass from sliding all over on my clothes, makes a big difference for me.   

I don't use a pre amp, just the built in one and go directly into the amp or PA. I was surprised how sensitive the pre amp is, it takes a bit of careful fiddling to get a good sound but that's all part of the fun.

Do you use any effects or preamps?

17 hours ago, Staggering on said:

I like that.😊

I have one and gigged with it for a couple of years before I got my DB that I use at gigs(and will again ...sometime...). Now I use the SLB 200 at rehearsals instead of hauling the DB around and it is great but I don't have quite the same sound as you do. I've been using Zyex lights for the last year or two and they feel good and sound OK but I usually use an amp that is not mine for rehearsals and it sounds much better at home or at gigs through our Bose PA.

They are a crazy price but I was in the right place at the right time and got a used one in perfect condition at a great price. If I were looking to replace it ( I'm not) I think I would go for an Eminence , I have played one and liked it.

The "body" on the SLB 200 works fine for me but I know some people hate it. I added a 3.5"x5.5" silicone sticky pad on the bass side arm of the body to keep the bass from sliding all over on my clothes, makes a big difference for me.   

I don't use a pre amp, just the built in one and go directly into the amp or PA. I was surprised how sensitive the pre amp is, it takes a bit of careful fiddling to get a good sound but that's all part of the fun.

Do you use any effects or preamps?

Thanks 🙂

I know what you mean, they are quite pricey - I got mine as B-stock although I'm not really sure why as I can't see any mark on it. I've not experienced the sliding on clothes problem yet. I didn't use any effects on that recording although I did use the UA 610-B plug in with my Apollo twin interface and a little compression. Live I just use the built in pre amp.

Nice demo.

I've been to all kinds of shops around London looking for a EUB for silent practice. Of the ones I found, none could hold a candle against the Yamaha SLB-200 in terms of playability and tone......and price.

There's one for sale right now. Cannot believe it's still available.

18 minutes ago, chyc said:

Nice demo.

I've been to all kinds of shops around London looking for a EUB for silent practice. Of the ones I found, none could hold a candle against the Yamaha SLB-200 in terms of playability and tone......and price.

There's one for sale right now. Cannot believe it's still available.

That seems like a fair price!