Why become a member? ×

Warwick amps

Pow_22

Years ago i briefly owned a Warwick Tubepath 5.1 and it did that ‘tube amp’ spongey sag thing superbly, it reminded me so much of the Mesa BB750 that i loved. I see a lot of the old Warwicks used the same idea of using a valve pre-amp section but then putting a EL84 between that and a mosfet power stage.  

My local junky type shop often gives me a call when something bassy comes in and it turns out they have a Warwick Quad VI in that ill go and check out. My question to any Quad users is are these amps similar tonally to the tubepath in that they do that bouncy slight breakup thing or are we talking a much cleaner amp with the Quad VI?  Ill be running it with a hot bass (Spector Euro) so im guessing with the right settings i could push the pre into breakup but its more the sag/bounce/spongey valves sound im after rather than just grit

• 2 weeks later...

So, just in case anyone was remotely interested....

having used this at a few full volume rehearsals i can say quite honestly it DOES do that valvey thing quite well. I mean in the way its clearly not an all Valve amp but it does do a very good imitation.  Most hybrids that attempt that all valve sound seem to focus purely on the ‘distortion’ side of things - whilst the Warwick doesnt do the sag/bounce thing so much it definitely does that valve ‘roar’ when played loud.  I loved the tubepath and this is very much in a similar vein, id say (as i did with the tubepath) its very much a Mesa BB750 on a budget. Very happy so far with my Spector and will feedback after monday when i use my MIJ jazz. So far so good

Edited by Pow_22
  • Like 3