Why become a member? ×

NBD Yamaha

Reggaebass

I normally play fender jazzes but I had a Yamaha 414 that I really liked, and after some great advice on the Yamaha thread I went for a 1024 , and it came today from Derry, after a little play my first impression is , it feels great and sounds superb, especially the P pickup with the tone rolled back ,  I don’t remember the 414 sounding this good, but it was a while ago, overall a really nice solid  bass , it’s got rounds fitted which are a bit twangy for me , but labella flats  are going on it soon 🙂 not very good pics , it’s dull and wet here 🙂

F8149A79-F391-430D-BA0D-AB3F931D7BA1.jpeg

AA6E2C7D-C3B0-4C62-81C2-E4252E8C97E0.jpeg

• Like 9

Even though everybody knows the name I still think people underestimate the quality of the brand. 

I recently acquired a BBG5S which sounds amazing - I think that most of these Yamahas should have at least a 1 on the front of the price tags. The entry models sell for less than £100, the top of the range, which I'm sure many would agree are world beaters, are less than most of the mid range of their competitors. 

Re-enforces my belief that many basses are overpriced for what you get, yet others are seemingly too cheap.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Even though everybody knows the name I still think people underestimate the quality of the brand. 

That’s very true, and I have to admit, i was one of those people until I got one a few years back, I couldn’t believe how good they were 🙂

Congrats @Reggaebass, it looks fantastic, and I bet it sounds it too.

I'm a Yammy fan by luck really. My first proper bass, after some ply, no-name SG thing, was a mint green Attitude Special. I didn't know who Billy Sheehan was, or care, I just loved the look of it. I learnt and gigged on that for a couple of years then traded it in for a brand new black BBG5S. I gigged that bass for around ten years as my only bass. Then went back to fours. I only sold it last year. Presently my only Yamaha is my tobacco burst BEX4, which is superb. Every time I play a Yamaha it's like coming home. 

Enjoy your new Yam. 🙂👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jazzyvee said:

A great local bass player friend of mine whom I played many reggae gigs with used the 5 string version of that bass and it sounds great. All the best getting your sound with it. 

Thanks jazzy 👍 it does do the reggae really well on the P pickup 

1 hour ago, Maude said:

a mint green Attitude Special.

Thanks Maude 👍 I  actually went to buy an attitude in PMT one Saturday, it sounded amazing but I couldn’t get on with the neck, it was a bit too chunky for me, really nice bass though 🙂

5 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Difficult to go wrong with a Yammy, they make very good quality instruments. Although I’m Fender nuts when/if I need a 5 string it will be Yamaha that get my coin.

I’m the same as you Lozz , I love my fenders, I got a BB415 a few years back, and on the occasion I need a 5 , that’s what I use 🙂