Why become a member? ×

Helix Stomp & IEM

B.Flat

Thanks BigRedX for your reply.

I have read the online manual for the Stomp, but my lack of technical knowledge is the prob. There is a headphone out with controllable volume, but I cannot find anything that answers my question about IEM.

I am intending using the Stomp for bass, and need the IEM (as simple as poss) to reduce the wrath my fellow band members heap on my increasing deafness!

How many additional sources will you need to add to the bass for your IEM? You need an additional input for each of them, which will be a stereo input from the PA feed as a minimum. So how many additional inputs including effects returns does the Stomp have? You will also need some way of routing the bass out separately from the mix while sending the whole mix to the headphones. I suspect that on the full Helix this is done using one of the effects sends running in parallel so that the signal from the bass only can be tapped off at this point to go to your amp and/or PA DI, and the main outputs are just used for the headphones. All this additional routing and mixing will probably use up one block that you would normally be using for effects or Sims, so make sure that you have enough to do what you need plus the IEMs.

8 hours ago, B.Flat said:

Hi Stomp users, advice required.

I have seen a Youtube of the full  Helix model using the headphones out as a controllable IEM.

Question, is that possible with the Stomp ? I would like to find this out before I pull the trigger on one.

Yes, its very simple.

If i understand correctly you just want to connect headphones or IEM to the headphone output, and use the volume knob to control the output in to this?.

I think it's the routing which is the tricky bit, as BigRedX has gone into.

For my current setup (MicroBass 3), I send the bass to PA via the DI out.  I receive a monitor mix from the PA, which contains no bass.  The Microbass 3 mixes these two signals and sends that to my in-ears.  The great thing is that it has a physical volume knob which controls the level of bass in my ears, which doesn't affecting my monitor mix level or the signal going to FOH.  Can a Helix do this?  If so, I would consider moving to Helix.

16 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

I think it's the routing which is the tricky bit, as BigRedX has gone into.

For my current setup (MicroBass 3), I send the bass to PA via the DI out.  I receive a monitor mix from the PA, which contains no bass.  The Microbass 3 mixes these two signals and sends that to my in-ears.  The great thing is that it has a physical volume knob which controls the level of bass in my ears, which doesn't affecting my monitor mix level or the signal going to FOH.  Can a Helix do this?  If so, I would consider moving to Helix.

I must admit I’m confused as to what the OP is wanting to achieve if its not just to hear himself better. It this is the case then. I cant see what routing issue there could be. The Stomp has its own headphone out with a real knob (assuming you don’t need to use it to control the main outs).

If its to receive a mix from the desk and mix it in with the bass, and then output that to headphones then yes, thats a bit trickier. You can use the return in’s to recive a stereo mix from a desk, but you need to program send/receive blocks in to each patch IIR but I’m not sure if you can do this post output block. 

Is it a case of you need your band to stop cranking up their amps so you can actually hear yourself? No IEM required, just everyone turning down so you can hear each instrument sensibly. Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick or misinterpreted something said tongue in cheek. 

Just to clarify uk-lefty, the problem is that I am told I am too loud, which is a result of my turning up the vol. because of my deafness. I need to turn it up for my my benefit but not mess up the balance for the rest of the band;

As footnote, any adevice on suitable IEMs that do not break the bank would be useful, assuming anyone is still reading this thread !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, B.Flat said:

Just to clarify uk-lefty, the problem is that I am told I am too loud, which is a result of my turning up the vol. because of my deafness. I need to turn it up for my my benefit but not mess up the balance for the rest of the band;

As footnote, any adevice on suitable IEMs that do not break the bank would be useful, assuming anyone is still reading this thread !

Still reading.....

Yes, in that case IEM's would be good as you are effectively needing and wanting your own mix.

Ive just gone over to IEM’s to hear my keyboard better with the band.

Over the past week ive tried 5 pairs. My singer/GF has the very highly regarded ZS10’s (around £45 on Amazon). Loved by most people but I didn’t get on with them. Sound wise they are great, but the fit wasnt to good for my flat ears. Although they stayed in when i used for tips they just felt like they were pulling away from me. Nothing much for them to rest on i guess. 

I ended up going through the Mee range, staring with the M6 Pros (£35), and the MX2, 3, and 4. 

The MX2 is recommend for drummers and bass players. It has a nice slightly extended low end. Not dirt cheap at £79. I tried the top of the range (i had them all from Amazon) but didnt think they were as good as the MX3. So settled on those at £99. 

They handle synth bass well, as well as piano and everything else. They are the 3 driver version. They say more drivers the better but i didnt get on with the 4 driver version as much, so i think its down to trial and error. 

Thats all i have to offer on that front. 

Edited by dave_bass5

Normally when people use IEMs (and are receiving a full band mix through them), they want the IEMs to be sealed/isolating.  However in your case, you don't - as otherwise you won't be able to hear the rest of the band.

I am one of those who does like my ZS10, but (as per what they are designed to do) not much ambient gets through, and what does is muffled.

If the band are at a low-ish volume, and you just need "more you", then use normal non-sealed earbuds.

But if the band are loud, and you still need "more you", you risk damaging your ears by not using sealed IEMs, since to overcome the ambient volume of the band you'll have to turn the volume of your earbuds up dangerously high.

Edited by jrixn1
  • Like 1

Just a quick note to say that using IEMs with foam tips helps attenuate the sound of the band at large and allows you then to change your level to match, giving an all round comfortable 'mix'

Hi Ped, you remember me ? I have the Vigier Passion 11 N°. 278, probably from the same tree as yours !

IEMs are all new to me, can you tell me where to look for ones (make and model would be gratefully received)  such as you describe.

1 hour ago, ped said:

Just a quick note to say that using IEMs with foam tips helps attenuate the sound of the band at large and allows you then to change your level to match, giving an all round comfortable 'mix'

Yep. Ive not even bothered with the silicone ones. Memory foam is the only thing that ill use. 

19 hours ago, B.Flat said:

Ah I get it now, apologies. I think it was Gear4music knocking out a wireless IEM set for very little money at the weekend, will send you the details if I find the email. 

As an aside, I always thought the Ampeg fridge at one of our rehearsal spaces was knackered because I could never hear it. Turned out you need to be stood a good distance away from it. 

If you dont need wireless you could get one of these headphone amps for £!8 to clip on to your belt. This will allow you to adjust the volume of the IEM’s without touching the Helix. Also works in stereo unlike the wireless ones (not that bass needs it, but its nice to have ). 

https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/SubZero-Passive-Personal-Headphone-Controller/2XOL

• Like 1