Why become a member? ×

Output Jack Woes

tegs07

I have nearly completed a new project but am having issues with the output jack. I get sound from the pickups but only when the lead is partially inserted into the jack.

The body of the bass is an ‘83 Fender Elite and has a hole that will accommodate a barrel type jack usually seen on semi-acoustic instruments. 

Can anyone confirm how to identify the R, T and S on these barrel type jacks as I can only think I have soldered incorrectly? Stereo jack with EMG active Pickups.

Note the EMG Pickup wires to jack have been soldered (clip removed).

Cheers

5D872C31-2370-4610-B563-45BDE07F2848.jpeg

Edited by tegs07

all of the sockets of this type that i have come across have the same connections, there is an outside connection (sometimes including strain relief for a cable), this is the sleeve connection(usually this will be a wider tab), then there are 2 tabs that are more in the middle section, the shorter one is the tip and the other the ring.

usually the switching is done between the ring and the sleeve (which are bridged when a mono jack is inserted.)

Hope this helps

Matt

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, John Cribbin said:

Don't ignore the option that the socket could be faulty.

very much this! this particular design of output jack is very prone to failure, the Switchcraft ones are the most reliable in my experience and are worth the few extra quid.

Matt

• Like 1