Why become a member? ×

Best jazz bass for £1000 ish or a little more

jassbass

19 hours ago, jassbass said:

So tempted by the sadowsky 4 string on here,a bit over budget but could be worth it?

The sound is over budget as well. These basses redefine your expectations. I bought my Sadowsky Metro and with in 6 weeks had sold off 4 great basses.

20 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’d look at a used Fender US Standard (2008 onwards) or US Professional.

This would be a good starting point, although I reckon the American Std from 2011 are really good (having said that, I have a 09 Am Std jazz that is very nice). You could also look at a s/h Xotic (my go to bass) or even a s/h US Lakland. A Sandberg is always an option at this price point. 

I'm sure that a Sadowsky would be great, but it will push your budget and just how much better will it be than an Xotic or a Lakland?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chris_b said:

The sound is over budget as well. These basses redefine your expectations. I bought my Sadowsky Metro and with in 6 weeks had sold off 4 great basses.

Similar. Sold off all but one other since getting my metro. And that only stayed as it was a 5 string and a very different sound 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, peteb said:

I'm sure that a Sadowsky would be great, but it will push your budget and just how much better will it be than an Xotic or a Lakland?

SH Sadowsky metro tend to be cheaper than SH US Lakland (in most all but one case!)

25 minutes ago, peteb said:

Not better but different, which was my point earlier on. At this price point you are likely getting a well made bass second hand. Preference on Hardware, electronics, ergonomics, aesthetics, setup ect. is going to be down to taste. 

1 hour ago, peteb said:

That is the cheaper, lower spec model. However, I have seen full fat Xotics (4 strings) going secondhand for about the same money. 

At this level "less expensive" isn't a negative description. These models are fantastic instruments in their own right and would be top of the range in many companies.

Look at the Skylines as opposed to the US Laklands, the Metros vs the NYC Sadowsky's and the Pro's versus the US Xotic basses.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chris_b said:

At this level "less expensive" isn't a negative description. These models are fantastic instruments in their own right and would be top of the range in many companies.

Look at the Skylines as opposed to the US Laklands, the Metros vs the NYC Sadowsky's and the Pro's versus the US Xotic basses.

IME the Skylines are nowhere near as good as the US Laklands, but the Sadowsky Metros are great (never actually played a US one). I have two US/Jap Xotics (4 & 5 string) that are brilliant, similar quality to the Japanese made Sadowskys, but I've never played the cheaper PRO version.  

I assume that the the NYC Sadowskys are excellent, but personally I don't see how much better they could possibly be than the Metros, or certainly the top of the range Xotics or Laklands, given that a jazz bass is a relatively simple design. 

6 hours ago, jassbass said:

Ooh where u seen the 4 string? Thanks 

Sorry mate, that was about a year ago. But keep your eye out on Bass Direct and the BC classifieds, etc - they do come up from time to time. 

(edit: just found it - see below. Also, for comparison, I bought a 5 string version at about the same time for £1.4k)

I would definitely recommend the Xotic.  

Edited by peteb