Why become a member? ×

New Fenderbird build started

Jimothey

17 hours ago, 3below said:

Likewise, I really like the 'barncaster' look. No need to worry about chips and marks on the finish either :)

While I was waiting for the neck to arrive I decided to refinish one of my Corvette copies in the 'barncaster' style aswell...... 👍🏻 

_20210706_135314.thumb.JPG.00a03b478a0ad726670a059dfdba1078.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well my pickups turned up a month earlier than estimated so thats a result!

Still havent managed to do a lot to it as I've been really struggling with my back at the moment after suffering with chronic back for the last 15years its now at the point that my back is spasming and more often than not my legs give way from underneath me and its making working very difficult so mrs Jimothey is going to go back to work full time and I'll stay at home looking after the kids so tgis build is probably going to stall for a while whilst I sort out a workshop

But here's a quick mockup I thought maybe add a pickguard it will be made out of ply and stained black to keep the rugged/rustic look? I didn't fancy a standard Tbird shape one?

_20210718_171939.thumb.JPG.cd3a9d5a59c5b2c870347bdf255004ca.JPG

The pickup is part of a pair that I'm going to use the other one on a 5 string 51p build in the future.... 👍🏻 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 5

Nice... and i hope ya back is on the mend...

Kmise neck? What are they like?

Was looking at them, a jazz 38mm for my P Build, but they are 21 fret on an overhang, and still look a little longer than a 20 to the heel.

Can you get a Fender P / J headstock out of the original shape, or just a tele?

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Sorry to hear about the back problems and life changes- bass is looking great though!

Thanks

In some ways its a good change as I HATE my job and I've got some ideas on how to fill my days and try and recoup a bit? 

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I hope it's nothing too serious.  House husband is quite a respectable job.  Best wishes to you and yours.

The idea of surgery is being floated round but it will be very a invasive procedure so it comes with a 6/12 month recovery period which I'm hoping will be the last resort as it only has a 60% chance that it will work at all? Thanks..... 👍🏻 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Nice... and i hope ya back is on the mend...

Was looking at them, a jazz 38mm for my P Build, but they are 21 fret on an overhang, and still look a little longer than a 20 to the heel.

Can you get a Fender P / J headstock out of the original shape, or just a tele?

Yeah I'm really impressed with it as it only cost £25 delivered the fret ends are nicely finished and the grain is nice too well worth a punt if you ask me! 😁 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

I have used a couple of Kmise Jazz width necks on builds and found them to be fine, great quality at very reasonable prices. On both Bitas builds I removed the fretboard over hang without any problems. I reshaped one to a '51 P headstock style and left the other as a Jazz shape.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Henrythe8 said:

I'm quite frankly amazed on how you did the branding both builds. How did you achieve this ? 

Its a lot easier than you think all you need is a laser jet printer, pva glue, rag/paintbrush, water and danish oil

Firstly get the design you want then print it off mirrored so the design is the right way round when you lay it face down

Next coat the paper with pva glue and stick it down and leave it over night to dry

Once it's completely dry get a bowl of water and with a rag/paintbrush dampen the paper and start rubbing off the paper if your doing it right the paper should come off and leave the ink on the body once all the paper is removed leave to dry again it will look all white when its dry but as soon as you put danish oil on it the white disappears if you want a worn look then just use some sandpaper and sand to your desired finish 

Next time I do it I'll take some pics of the process...... 👍🏻 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

There's a change of plan with this build its going to be a 4 string with the MM pickup and chrome hardware 

The 5 string neck and soapbar pickup are now going to be used on the P-Rick build because I think the neck dive was going to be awful with this being a 5er

Im going to do a mockup in the next few days..... 👍🏻 

• 1 month later...

I've decided to make the neck for this build (Oak with a Rosewood fretboard that I took off the twisted Squier neck) so to make my life easier I've bought a set of 51/54 p bass neck templates 

_20220318_003550.thumb.JPG.4f63f19ba4b7ffd20e40eee3cad7d274.JPG

I'm thinking of making it reverse headstock?........ 👍🏻 

• Like 1

Got the neck pocket and pickup cavity routed out and the neck has been shaped

_20220323_103440.thumb.JPG.5226d084a1121ef4ef0dba3175154f38.JPG

I'm going to use the original truss rod out of the twisted neck that looks and functions fine...... 👍🏻

_20220323_103352.thumb.JPG.8ca77a8983ea51146fe04105e77e5acf.JPG

Time to start carving the neck....... 😬💩💩

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 3

Neck is now carved just got some fine tuning to do..... 

_20220323_120427.thumb.JPG.aa6cf3c70976a86c659c2fce47f03258.JPG

I carved it using this 2 1/2" roundover router bit which isn't for the faint hearted but I've still got 10 fingers and the neck has came out how I hoped so I call it a win!! 😁 

_20220323_120657.thumb.JPG.12954e95325a0895570b0c7970b0c856.JPG

I'm remaking the fretboard out if some oak that I think it grain fill it black then just oil it....... 👍🏻 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have changed this build slightly I used an old neck that I had laying about and I’m going to use the oak reverse neck on a new up coming build…….

The chrome hardware just looked a bit boring so I decided to spray it so it looked a bit like brushed Alu for something a bit different?

I also refinished the body Matt black then distressed it a bit as well for good measure

I think I might have to change the name to WarBird now tho………👍🏻

23A1B9CE-ACE8-44DA-B536-3B453CA6485D.thumb.jpeg.66ee44a799e3c95a82db7cf8aa6c1e6b.jpegBD7B769A-6C38-4B60-B719-6B06760A2971.thumb.jpeg.0bbc285d7b9e0e245609fcb262391fd2.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

As per usual with me this bass has undergone another change this is what I’ve ended up with and it had now become one of my favourites!!…….👍🏻

1C3B0CBF-D498-4423-AEF5-B38E70E49900.thumb.jpeg.9c5840e3d7148261a51dac3622d308f9.jpeg

I’m going to build another one with reverse p bass pickups for a change…..👍🏻

• Like 2