Why become a member? ×

Fave bands new to you that've been around for donkeys ears

I didn't really get into Tool until Fear Inoculum, no idea why. Maybe because they weren't on streaming services for so long and that release made their back catalogue much more accessible. I was a 15 and mostly listening to pop-punk when Ænema came out.

On 28/04/2021 at 11:14, Muzz said:

I was very, very late to the Rival Sons party; I'd heard a couple of tracks when they were the Hot New Thing, but dismissed them as too close to a Led Zep Tribute act, when I was talked into seeing them a few years ago. Seen them three or four times since, they're extraordinary live, but to be fair they'd moved away from the LZ bandwagon considerably by then...

I was in a band several years ago and the guitarist suggested I give Rival Sons a listen, I too dismissed them as Led Zep wannabes. Last year, during lockdown, I just happened to listen to them on shuffle on Spotify and was hooked. They're excellent, I particularly like their last album. Unfortunately I've not got to see them live, maybe in the future. 

I got into Graveyard by their third album, so that is pretty late for me. I got into Isis (the band, not the terrorist group) pretty much right after they split. 

I got really into the Joshua Tree era U2 material a few years ago, despite really not liking anything else they have released. 

Recently, despite having a 'if it isn't Peter Green era or Rumours it isn't Fleetwood Mac' attitude, I have really started to appreciate the 1980s Fleetwood Mac stuff. 

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I was in a band several years ago and the guitarist suggested I give Rival Sons a listen, I too dismissed them as Led Zep wannabes. Last year, during lockdown, I just happened to listen to them on shuffle on Spotify and was hooked. They're excellent, I particularly like their last album. Unfortunately I've not got to see them live, maybe in the future. 

They really are a whole new level live; I've seldom seen such intensity in a live performance...I can recommend them when all this hoohah dies down and attending (and playing) gigs is back on the calendar... 

• Like 1

I've recently got into Ultravox. I knew three or four of the big hits but never really looked any further, despite liking the ones I knew. I was working in the garden a couple of weeks ago and did the "Alexa, play Ultravox", it was on for about three hours and I really enjoyed it. I like that there is punk/new wave roots blended with the 'modern' synth sounds. 

As an aside I can now see where Glasvegas got there inspiration.