Why become a member? ×

Trace cabs with GB shuttle 6 ?

fryer

Hi, I have just bought Trace Elliot 2 x 10" and 1x 15" cabs, and need a 600 to 800 w head. I like the look of the Genz Benz Shuttle 6. But it doesn't seem to have as many adjustments / knobs as my old Peavey 300 combo, which has pre / post gain, patch in / out, 8 way equalizer, pre- amp in / out, etc.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='445595' date='Mar 26 2009, 12:14 AM']I would be more worried that you have fallen for the old 1x15/2x10 routine but thats me :rolleyes:[/quote]

Not just you bf, have just pulled the trigger on 2 Trace cabs also, but gone for 2 x 15" compacts :)

[quote name='Raggy' post='445690' date='Mar 26 2009, 09:04 AM']Not just you bf, have just pulled the trigger on 2 Trace cabs also, but gone for 2 x 15" compacts :)[/quote]
But what's wrong with the 2 x 10 with the 1 x 15 ? People seem to go for 10" speaker cabs these days. I thought it would cover the range of frequencies better ? I am using a Hofner Club bass, which has a mellow sound.

There is two schools of thought......

1.....All drive units should be the same to give a coherent and identical sound.

2.....Mixed drive units that cover a wider range of frequencies, giving greater flexability to mix and match cabs for different sounds and gig locations.

I prefer number two but others will disagree. There is no right or wrong IMHO its just a matter of taste.

[quote name='voxpop' post='446852' date='Mar 27 2009, 07:07 AM']There is two schools of thought......

1.....All drive units should be the same to give a coherent and identical sound.

2.....Mixed drive units that cover a wider range of frequencies, giving greater flexability to mix and match cabs for different sounds and gig locations.

I prefer number two but others will disagree. There is no right or wrong IMHO its just a matter of taste.[/quote]
Thanks Mark, these are your ex cabs by the way. Until I find a shuttle or similar, I bought a Warwick Prefet 3.2, and it's too quiet for these cabs. I tried it on my home made with a 15" 4 ohm, and that's louder.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='445595' date='Mar 26 2009, 12:14 AM']The Genz Benz is a cracking amp but it may not be your sound. Try one and if you dont like you should be able to sell it on as they do seem to keep their value.

I would be more worried that you have fallen for the old 1x15/2x10 routine but thats me :)[/quote]
I bought a Warwick Profet 3.2, as a temparary until I find a shuttle or similar. I have read your review on this, and wish I hadn't bought it. Why might I not like the sound of the shuttle ? R

[quote name='voxpop' post='446852' date='Mar 27 2009, 07:07 AM']There is two schools of thought......

I prefer number two but others will disagree. There is no right or wrong IMHO its just a matter of taste.[/quote]
There is a prevailing view that you need 10's for punch and 15's for depth; but lots of 2x10/4x10 cabs actually go deeper than the corresponding 15's. All the size of a driver tells you is how big it is.

Mixing drivers can produce upredictable results because phase changes with frequency depending on the cab, so at some frequencies the mixed cabs will be out of phase, but identical cabs won't. But the end result is that if it sounds good to you then it is good, but it may be worth checking FOH cos that might sound a lot different to the stage sound that will be different cos you will hear more of the top cab.

There have been lots of flame wars on this subject :)

[quote name='fryer' post='446861' date='Mar 27 2009, 08:03 AM']I bought a Warwick Profet 3.2, as a temparary until I find a shuttle or similar. I have read your review on this, and wish I hadn't bought it. Why might I not like the sound of the shuttle ? R[/quote]
You might not like the sound of the shuttle cos we all like different things. It is quite transparent and very articulate, some people like a wooley thud and its hard to get that.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='446871' date='Mar 27 2009, 08:27 AM']You might not like the sound of the shuttle cos we all like different things. It is quite transparent and very articulate, some people like a wooley thud and its hard to get that.[/quote]
OK, thanks for your help

When I changed to a Shuttle at the end of last year, my guitarist didn't like the sound at all after being used to my GK 700RB II which was a phenomenal beast of an amp. I just wanted something very light that was good quality and the tube preamp sold me on it in the end.

Its taken me the best part of 3 months to get the sound that I have been looking for and the guitarist loves it as well. I can get as close to a tubey sound as is possible with a 1 tube preamp and absolutely love it.

I'm still going to hold off for a couple of months before I post a proper review of it as I'm still getting used to what it can do and am still trying so see if I can get anything better from it but right now I absolutely love it and would have to say that probably the only amp that may be better than this will be the GK micro amp with the tube preamp but am not sure when/if that is due out but am happy for time being.

May look a bit weird on top of all that trace Elliot though - people may mistake it for a DI box its that small.

Edited by Delberthot

Why not look around for a trace elliot ah600smx head ?? you have all the tonal possibility's, all the power & you can split the sound running to each cab ( i think it's called biamping) & adjust the levels for each cab.
i have this head running through two 4x10's & sometimes i run it through a 4x10 & 1x15 with awsome results,