Why become a member? ×

G&L Tributes?

barrycreed

7 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

They were less than courteous on the telephone & they have some sort of posh by appointment only 'showroom'.

If anyone tells me an under 7 lb. G&L doesn't have balance issues, I will call them a liar.

Firm ground for blanket mistrust. I've a 7 lb. SB-1 dawdling its way through the international postal system at the moment. If I find it not to have balance issues, you promise to call me a liar, right? 

I had a 7 lb. Ibanez with the 2x2 headstock that was on the verge of neck-dive with the standard machine-heads on it.

The body that made it 6 lbs. actually did present neck-dive.

I owned a U.S. G&L ASAT, now talk about neck-dive, but they have the short upper horn, Telecaster shape. 

There was a guy boasting on another forum about his 7 lb. L-2000, Empress body, but he was honest that it has neck-dive, but he also tries to downplay it.

The 4-inline headstock, combined with the thick neck, are risky for neck-dive on G&Ls IME, which is a bummer, because they have The Best pickups in those MFDs.

I think most people compensate by using a suede strap, which would grip your shirt & prevent the neck from sliding down.

I don't actually like leather straps & have nylon or neoprene seat-belt style straps, so I'm the first person who is going to notice an imbalance situation.

At least one big builder has openly stated that his basses don't have neck-dive, the users just need better straps. I won't even look at their products, LOL!

4 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

CLF L-2000, at least £1,600....Tribute L-2000 £600.

That's why I suggested a used CLF 🙂 

They should be around the £1k mark. Ok, still more than a Tribute but definitely worth the extra money in my opinion. 

• Like 1

I`m pretty sure that the SB has a slimmer neck than the LB Tribute. The Kiliton Tribute has the slim neck as well.

As for the Jazz JB ask @dub_junkie as he has had a few. I had a JB 2 bass with the P bass shaped body and it had a thicker neck than a Fender Jazz.

Why do these guitar companies make things so damm confusing!

Very nice M2000 (4 string) on the Reverb site - a bit steep considering the marks on the back..

https://reverb.com/item/36865353-g-l-m-2000-tribute-series?utm_content=recently_viewed&utm_source=braze&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily-Feed-Email - Bump Sort Experiment&utm_term=Feed Email

qkz8rbgd3d8cujz0ezlx.jpg

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 2

On 01/05/2021 at 13:03, horrorshowbass said:

I'm gonna get an L2000 even though neck looks like a baseball bat

It's a great bass. I have the 5 string tribute version and it sounds fantastic and is extremely versatile. 

I own top of the range active Fenders and an EB Stingray but nothing sounds as good as my L2500.

Edited by gjones

^ that black M2000 looks great👍🏻
my own experience is that the LB100 sounded great and was a really well put together P-bass. (Neck was just a tad too big) and the JB had the 70s pickup spacing so it sounded (and played) sufficiently different to the JB-2 to warrant keeping it at the time. The blocks and binding looked great on it too.
The Sonic blue JB-2 though was my ‘go to’ G&L. Everything was just about right on that bass. Will definitely buy another of those. 

9E9323A2-7CEE-467F-A575-F58DE65EE17C.jpeg

Edited by dub_junkie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jassbass said:

Is the g&l jb jazz any good? Better than squire vibe? Thanks 

If I had to choose, I would go for the G&L over a Squire. The bridge alone makes it worth the extra. Check out the Anertons All about the bass YT clip where they compare both the Jazz and the P bass

Edited by jezzaboy

3 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

If I had to choose, I would go for the G&L over a Squire. The bridge alone makes it worth the extra. Check out the Anertons All about the bass YT clip where they compare both the Jazz and the P bass

Cheers yeah I agree 

8 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

@uncle psychosis, thanks for the offer but my heart is set on an L2000. Specifically, this beauty below.

G&L Tribute L-2000 Bass in Clear Orange

From reading reviews, the M2000 is a bit more traditional ala precsion bass.

I'm looking for kick your balls in punch, bite growl etc. etc. although reviews are mixed and the M series sounds like a great bass.

Having said all that, i'm sure it would fly off the shelves here on BC if advertised.

Thanks

I recently briefly owned the 5 string version of this. It was just way too heavy and the neck and fingerboard finishing and fretwork wasn’t great, so it went back to Anderson’s, but it sounded just great - real punch and depth, and very different to (for example) a Stingray. BYW the colour above is very different than in the flesh - it’s a nice honey colour, much less red than the photo.

Andertons have a lovely CLF-2500 but a) I can’t justify buying a fourth new bass this year and b) I also cannot justify two basses in a sparkle lake placid blue :)

19 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

I recently briefly owned the 5 string version of this. It was just way too heavy and the neck and fingerboard finishing and fretwork wasn’t great, so it went back to Anderson’s, but it sounded just great - real punch and depth, and very different to (for example) a Stingray. BYW the colour above is very different than in the flesh - it’s a nice honey colour, much less red than the photo.

Andertons have a lovely CLF-2500 but a) I can’t justify buying a fourth new bass this year and b) I also cannot justify two basses in a sparkle lake placid blue :)

Thanks yeah seen other pics on reverb in different lighting.

Have a Ray and a Jazz so wanted the evil love child :)

• Like 1