Why become a member? ×

G&L Tributes?

barrycreed

Not to hijack the other threads on various G&L models, I have been ogling the JB-2 and the LB-100 as of late. I like the, what looks like, a smaller body on the JB-2 and the basic finish. I've never seen any in a shop so can't comment on the necks, but believe the LB-100 neck is similar to a jazz bass profile?

This most likely is not a tribute model, but he is getting an almighty clank out of it that I love. Nice and aggressive.

23 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

believe the LB-100 neck is similar to a jazz bass profile?

On the fairly rubbish G&L site, the listing for the Tribute LB-100 is missing its specs, but I'm pretty sure that the nut is 1⅝" (as is the factory standard for the USA LB-100) 

If you wanted a 1½" nut on a Tribute with a split pickup then theres the SB-2 which has a split P pickup almost in the traditional spot and a J pickup very close to the bridge. The quirk of that instrument is that it has 2 vols and no tone knob. But the SBs have the much more lively MFD pickups, whereas as the two you are looking at have traditional Fender style pickups.

That's definitely an LB-100 he's playing in that video rather than the extremely similar SB-1 - the pickguard is shaped differently just by the neck - but there's no knowing if he's swapped the pickup.....

Screenshot_20210428-095115_YouTube.jpg

G&L Tribute Series Basses

Edited by Ricky Rioli

14 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

....but I'm pretty sure that the nut is 1⅝" (as is the factory standard for the USA LB-100)

When I was looking around at the specs, most retailers who give the nut width (why doesn't everyone ?) agree with you at 1⅝".

• Thanks 1

The neck on the LB 100 Tribute is a bit more of a handful than a Mexican P bass and the same width, about 42 mm if I remember right.

I really don`t know why G&L do this to their Tribute necks especially the L2000 which is a bloomin baseball bat!

But the Tribute L100 is a really nice bass.

I can recommend both the SB2 and the M2000 - I've owned examples of both and are excellent basses for not a lot of pennies. These are NOT £300 basses yet that's what they can be bought for.

Edited by TheGreek

The M-2000 in particular has a lovely neck profile - half way between a P and a J.  I found it very comfortable and for those who like less faff it's a lot simpler in operation than the L-2000 - vol/blend/3 band EQ.

Unfortunately I think the Tribute M-2000 has been discontinued - doesn't appear on the G&L website any more and a quick google suggests it's not available new anywhere obvious.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, neepheid said:

The M-2000 in particular has a lovely neck profile - half way between a P and a J.  I found it very comfortable and for those who like less faff it's a lot simpler in operation than the L-2000 - vol/blend/3 band EQ.

Unfortunately I think the Tribute M-2000 has been discontinued - doesn't appear on the G&L website any more and a quick google suggests it's not available new anywhere obvious.

BD still have one:

G&L M2000 Tribute, 4 five string, Guitars, George Fullerton, Leo Fender, basses - For sale, UK, on offer, EU Bass Direct - STOCK -

Monster basses for the money, now the disadvantage of not being able to try them in many stores is suspended for now I'd recommend trying with confidence. Always check the return policy though, you may love it but want a slightly different spec, or maybe won't get on with it.

Used they are a steal, if they go for their usual modest prices.

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Another one in the UK on Reverb:

Blackburst Tribute M-2000

Had two of these. Misguidedly sold the first when I bought the SB2 (you don't need 2 G&Ls do you) then replaced it after realising you do. Sold the second one when I ventured into the world of 5ers.

As I've said many times - you're getting a lot of bass for not many pennies with a G&L.

Just need to find a nice 5er tribute.

1 minute ago, horrorshowbass said:

I'm gonna get an L2000 even though neck looks like a baseball bat

If finances allow, I would check for a used US CLF L2k. They have nice 1 5/8'' slim C necks. I used to have a Tribute L2K and the neck was a bit too big for me. The neck on the CLF I recently got is much more to my liking. 

CLF L-2000, at least £1,600....Tribute L-2000 £600.

Rather cheaper route: buy a Tribute L-2000 and a Tribute LB-100, swap the necks, and then find someone who would be delighted to have a mid price Indonesian built P bass with an old fashioned P neck. 

Edit: I wrote this only semi seriously, and then it occurred to me that I cant recall reading of people swapping the necks of Tributes: can it actually be done?

Edited by Ricky Rioli
  • Like 1

My advice is to always buy a G&L with MFD pickups. IF you like p-basses, get the SB-1 or the SB-2. The SB-2 has the bridge pickup.

IF you want something that can do almost anything, get the L-2000.

My only complaints about G&L are the weight & the 4-inline headstock. If you get one lightweight enough, there will be neck-dive.

Edited by Killed_by_Death
type SB2 twice!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Killed_by_Death said:

My only complaints about G&L are the weight & the 4-inline headstock. If you get one lightweight enough, there will be neck-dive.

"This bass is a lovely G&L LB-100 with a light Empress body finished in Shoreline Gold.....I'm 99% sure this is the lightest G&L I've seen yet! It weighs just 6.7 lbs, and even at that weight balance is not an issue."

http://www.rocketmusic.net/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6886